Nice New Features

buser333

Reaction score
Just noticed now that when you're browsing a scenario that you've indicated playing that there is a "show" button that will hyperlink you to any summaries you've written about it. Really handy for those scenarios that have received a lot of reports and that you've played long enough ago to not appear on the main page.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for spotting that - I added it because I was always hunting around for the past games I'd played it.

I've also made a minor change there to highlight if you actually won or lost it as it was a little tricky to check whether you, whilst attacking, won, if you only knew the Germans (for example) won.

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Nice feature, but not very visible. I needed to do a "find" on "show" to locate it. That might just be me.

sushidog

Reaction score
First name
Grant
Country
llCanada
Any chance you'll be adding play balance to the reporting? (Or maybe you have and I missed it). Even if it's only added going forward, it would make the record way more valuable.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Any chance you'll be adding play balance to the reporting? (Or maybe you have and I missed it). Even if it's only added going forward, it would make the record way more valuable.
Today's Illuminating Rounds talks about this. I'd like to generate more chat about the relative weighting between recorded plays and perceived balance - but the meaty chat starts at 23:10 of the video (link to the time below)

sushidog

Reaction score
First name
Grant
Country
llCanada
Very cool discussion about self-balancing scenarios. Good luck with that, sounds like an intimidating project. But all I was really asking was whether you were going to add the ability for us to add which official balance provision we used when we report a playing to the scenario archive. Even if you can't update all the records you already have, having this ability moving forward would make your records much more useful. As it stands, ROAR is still the place to go for records. ASL Archive is where to go to see some brief AARs about scenarios, but the record on ASL archive is less useful as it doesn't indicate if balance was used. If one reads through the comments, it is sometimes mentioned.

Thanks for the website, it has a ton of other useful feathures that keep me coming back.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Very cool discussion about self-balancing scenarios. Good luck with that, sounds like an intimidating project. But all I was really asking was whether you were going to add the ability for us to add which official balance provision we used when we report a playing to the scenario archive. Even if you can't update all the records you already have, having this ability moving forward would make your records much more useful. As it stands, ROAR is still the place to go for records. ASL Archive is where to go to see some brief AARs about scenarios, but the record on ASL archive is less useful as it doesn't indicate if balance was used. If one reads through the comments, it is sometimes mentioned.

Thanks for the website, it has a ton of other useful feathures that keep me coming back.
Not quite so sure ROAR lists balance either.
ASL Archive is far superior to ROAR as it has infinitely more information and sometimes even game logs.
The summaries are really good to have.
Listing balance, IMO, is pointless unless the skill level (aka AREA rating) is also listed.
Was trying to initiate this kind of information on ROAR but no one answered the door. I actually think the porch light was turned off on me.
Almost dropped all my bibles.

buser333

Reaction score
I see Probable Scenario Balance has now been added as well. Kudos to Dave for constantly inovating ways to make his already-awesome site even better.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I see Probable Scenario Balance has now been added as well. Kudos to Dave for constantly inovating ways to make his already-awesome site even better.
Ooof - that was quick - and well spotted as it only went live about 20 mins ago!

You can now add the balance used to report playings and I'm presenting a graph of the balance probability range, as you've seen:

You can find this feature on the view balance report and the bottom part of the latest games logged on each scenario page. You can also log the balance, and edit previously added games with the balance but I haven't figured out a tidy way to show which games have been played with any balance on the usual tables.

I'm working with the professor (Indy, of course) on how we get players' ELO to interact with this range, as it does seem to have a slight impact, which is why you'll see the average elo information at the bottom of that page.

sushidog

Reaction score
First name
Grant
Country
llCanada
Hey, I see when reporting a playing we can now list which balance (if any) we used. Excellent! Thanks, Dave. (I think my sending Indy after you on this a couple years ago may have planted a seed. Or maybe you were just worn down. Whatever, I'm grateful to see it. I'm going to go back through my entries and add balance where we used it. I doubt everyone will do so, but I reckon it will be a great trip down memory lane looking at the scens. I can cross reference my entries on ROAR to see where we used balance.)

sushidog

Reaction score
First name
Grant
Country
llCanada
Looking at your Scenario balance, where it pulls the ROAR data and lists the record as without balance, that actually includes all playings of a given scenario on ROAR (if I'm understanding ROAR correctly).

If you click on a given scenario in ROAR, it gives you the overall record regardless of balance, and then in the second section, a breakdown of w/l based on which balances vs no balance.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If you click on a given scenario in ROAR, it gives you the overall record regardless of balance, and then in the second section, a breakdown of w/l based on which balances vs no balance.
Yes, you’re right but I don’t think there’s an easy way for me to scrape that data from roar to include the balance data.
It will be interesting to see after a few months how many games are logged with balance. I suppose we can see that now on Roar but I suspect it’s a very low percentage.

sushidog

Reaction score
First name
Grant
Country
llCanada
Yes, you’re right but I don’t think there’s an easy way for me to scrape that data from roar to include the balance data.
It will be interesting to see after a few months how many games are logged with balance. I suppose we can see that now on Roar but I suspect it’s a very low percentage.
I think it is a low percentage for sure. From poking around, most scens don't have any as well, but there's a fair number that have a lot of playing logged with balance used (Agony of Doom is a perfect example). Probably scenarios that look fun, initial results show them as unbalanced, then players start using balance on them because the scenario looks good. They don't want to dismiss it.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Ooof - that was quick - and well spotted as it only went live about 20 mins ago!

You can now add the balance used to report playings and I'm presenting a graph of the balance probability range, as you've seen:

View attachment 24080

You can find this feature on the view balance report and the bottom part of the latest games logged on each scenario page. You can also log the balance, and edit previously added games with the balance but I haven't figured out a tidy way to show which games have been played with any balance on the usual tables.

I'm working with the professor (Indy, of course) on how we get players' ELO to interact with this range, as it does seem to have a slight impact, which is why you'll see the average elo information at the bottom of that page.
FINALLY,
We see the great usefulness of comparing player ratings with W/L Data.
Too bad ROAR doesn't bother with this feature. (After I inquired about it a number of years ago.)
Simple to add....

Great WORK Dave