Nhpum Ga - Maggot Hill...

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Setting this up as US side. Really confused and wondering if anyone can help.

I've re-read through three times. I simply MUST be missing something. The Americans set up their forces within an approximate square central board around the hill areas. They are theoretically seven hexes from the North Edge. The Japanese may set up right down at the south of the board. Or they may enter on turn two on the East/West map edges.

The VC state that if the US exit 20+ Exit VP off the north edge then it's a US win. There is a pre-game bombardment. But I figure that if the entire US force tee's up towards the North end of their set up area and cuts to exit their entire force straight from turn 1 (there's even a nice handy path through the jungle) that there's nothing the Japanese can do to catch them. The US can just cut straight up the centre and I don't even think the Japanese would cut them off with their reinforcements, even if the US had not quite exited in two turns (which I think they almost certainly can). The US would be off before the Japanese can even fire a shot.

I'm missing something - And I'm missing something big. I'm sure of this. But what am I missing?

All help gratefully received.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
The only manner in which I can make sense of this is if I'm completely misreading the compass and looking at North as being South and South as North. If I am then this would mean the US can win by exiting 20VP but would have to break through the Japanese line in doing so. THAT would make sense.

Here's a picture of the compass...to me the North compass point is pointing down? Am I totally brainfarting here ???

Yarlis

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
There are two Japanese Forces: one of them sets up as you said (hexrows T-W); the second force (114th and 55th Infantry Regiments) sets up north (on/between hexrows A and C and/or enter on a single turn on/after Turn 2 along the east or west edge), so I guess they could be positioned to deny that US exit thorugh the north map edge.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
There are two Japanese Forces: one of them sets up as you said (hexrows T-W); the second force (114th and 55th Infantry Regiments) sets up north (on/between hexrows A and C and/or enter on a single turn on/after Turn 2 along the east or west edge), so I guess they could be positioned to deny that US exit thorugh the north map edge.
ARGHHHHH.....you nailed it.

My fragile brain had rested on the idea that the second Japanese reinforcement group could ONLY enter on turn 2. And now it all makes sense.

Thank you.

M

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Correct, if the Japanese get that right, it is tough for the Americans to get off, but far from impossible. If they screw it up, game over.