NHL Lockout

Kurhaus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I see plenty of football threads but I can't find anything on the NHL lockout. I am sure there are plenty of hockey fans on this forum that wish to weight in with their comments. Floors open.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I see plenty of football threads but I can't find anything on the NHL lockout. I am sure there are plenty of hockey fans on this forum that wish to weight in with their comments. Floors open.
This is going to be the Leaf's best season in decades!

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It seems that the NHL is doing everything they can to self destruct. I hope they get this situation resolved quickly. I love watching hockey and was really looking forward to the season. My Coyotes had a great season finally, and the team I grew up watching won the cup. What a season! Guess I'll have to be satisfied watching my local team, the Arizona Sundogs, and be satisfied with that.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The idiots will never learn. The lockout a few years ago really killed a very promising rise of the NHL.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
The idiots will never learn. The lockout a few years ago really killed a very promising rise of the NHL.
Agreed! The duration of their last lock-out transformed me from a longtime hardcore fan to a peripheral fan. Another lengthy one will transform me from the periphery to the exit ramp. Stinks too, because my beloved St. Louis Blues finally advanced into the playoffs 2nd round, and set the stage for a good youth-core that looked promising for years to come. Oh well, I guess I'll have to play even more ASL.:whist:

Kurhaus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have always been a hockey fan, but also agree that these lockouts have pushed me away from the game. With the establishment of the Jets in Winnipeg, I got back into it again hardcore last season. But now we are back to square one. Not even sure which side to blame as it seems the fans are the only ones suffering.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
People actually play hockey? Seriously?
I played rec hockey for about 5 years. Taught myself how to ice stake at the age of 28 and went after it. Midnight ice times combined with new children arriving put an end to my "hockey career".

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Keep your stick on the ice"

I was visiting a friend in Chicago in 2001 and when the talk turned to Hockey he was surprised that, being from Arizona,I was a fan. I have loved Hockey for 5 decades, and its just killing me the things that are happening in todays administration of the game.But it seems, in America anyway, that the games popularity goes up and down in cycles.It gets popular and all of the sudden NHL games are the place to be seen, then the novelty of it wears off and it goes back to the true fans.Of course things I imagine are quite different in Canada. And all this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Its pretty dumb that theya re fighting over a percentage of a pretty huge revenue pie - and that the owners are foring the issue when most metrics have shown that hockey revenue has been grwoing since 2006. But teh NHL season is two months too long anyway, and as long as htey are abck by christmas, when the real winter starts, I'm not losing sleep over it.

Besides - Gaborik is coming off surgery and was going to be out until december anywya, so this actually plays to the Rangers advantage - IF they get i wrapped up by December.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So teh owners have offered the players a 50-50 split of hockey revenue....

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2012-10-16/nhl-lockout-news-2012-owners-offer-5050-escrow-frank-luntz-hockey-strike

I'm pretty much with the players - but PR wise, they either accept this offer, or come up with something really creative as a counteroffer, becuase this does seem pretty reasonable. (I get the poison pill of counting minor league contarcts agaisnt the cap - btu teasm were using this loophole to circumvent the cap, so I am not totally opposed to it).

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
sure looks like the 82 game season is gone. Now Bettman is even saying the winter Classic is in jeapoardy - which surely ahs to eb psoturing given that it is still two months out and tehyw ere preapred to have a whole season up and running in just two weeks.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whole situation just reaks. No games up to Oct 31, and most likely none in Nov. Funny thing is that most players will say they are living their dream and can't believe they get payed to do it. But at the drop of a hat they turn greedy and want more. It never has sat real well with me this whole lockout/strike deal. Especially when the "employees" are already well compensated.