Next Pocket Edition Rulebook Pre-requisites?

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Until HtH is moved to Chapter A, J must be included with A-G.
Agree. Until then, a potential workaround is to photocopy ASLRB page J1 at about 80-85% size and paste it (e.g., with a glue stick) onto the inside front or back cover page of the pocket rulebook.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
There is no "new" pocket rulebook: it already has evolved and will go on changing.
Are there specified version numbers or release dates? I don't see anything on my copy. I don't know if I'm up-to-date or not...

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Are there specified version numbers or release dates? I don't see anything on my copy. I don't know if I'm up-to-date or not...
It's print-on-demand I think, so not clearly stratified. I'm gonna get a new one when I get the Ch. H because mine is so early it lacks Ch. J.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
It's print-on-demand I think, so not clearly stratified. I'm gonna get a new one when I get the Ch. H because mine is so early it lacks Ch. J.
I don't see why the one should rule out the other. Print-on-demand doesn't have to entail version-on-demand, which sounds very messy if there isn't something to refer to.

Let's say they called your version, "Version 1". Mine has Chapter J, so that could be called "Version 2". If the difference were documented, someone with Version 1 could see that Version 2 now includes Chapter J, and whatever other changes are there. Version 3 could be the one with the HtH rules folded into Chapter A. Again, if this was clearly stated, someone with Version 1 might see a clear reason to update to 3, whereas someone with Version 2 might feel that they already know where to find the HtH rules if they need them, and wait to see what's in Version 4...etc.

Throwing in changes ad hoc without versioning sounds like a recipe for chaos.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I don't see why PoD should negate versioning. You don't increment the version number every time it's printed - just every time the document is modified. New printings are not new editions.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I don't see why the one should rule out the other. Print-on-demand doesn't have to entail version-on-demand, which sounds very messy if there isn't something to refer to.

Let's say they called your version, "Version 1". Mine has Chapter J, so that could be called "Version 2". If the difference were documented, someone with Version 1 could see that Version 2 now includes Chapter J, and whatever other changes are there. Version 3 could be the one with the HtH rules folded into Chapter A. Again, if this was clearly stated, someone with Version 1 might see a clear reason to update to 3, whereas someone with Version 2 might feel that they already know where to find the HtH rules if they need them, and wait to see what's in Version 4...etc.

Throwing in changes ad hoc without versioning sounds like a recipe for chaos.
Yeah, fair point. And one would assume MMP would track that internally when they update it.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Versions so far: Prototypes, First Version, and Version-with-Chapter-J.
Does this mean there are no differences at all in contents within a single version? Or is there "First Version.12" and "Version-with-Chapter-J.14"?

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Well, that depends on what you decide to call a single version. For instance, with the binder-format rulebook, there's been only two versions, but if you include the replacement pages, there have been variations within versions.

Phillip

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If these are print-on-demand, would it be possible to allow us to select which chapters we'd like? I'd love Chapter S included - it would make playing SASL much more convenient. Sure, I have Chapter S in its own small binder, but I have the whole RB in binders, so none of this is necessary strictly speaking...but I sure do love carrying around relevant chapters in my (giant) pocket.

So if I never played PTO for instance, I might order mine with S but without G.

Sorry - don't know much about the practical steps of print-on-demand. Maybe this is possible and maybe not.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If these are print-on-demand, would it be possible to allow us to select which chapters we'd like? I'd love Chapter S included - it would make playing SASL much more convenient. Sure, I have Chapter S in its own small binder, but I have the whole RB in binders, so none of this is necessary strictly speaking...but I sure do love carrying around relevant chapters in my (giant) pocket.

So if I never played PTO for instance, I might order mine with S but without G.

Sorry - don't know much about the practical steps of print-on-demand. Maybe this is possible and maybe not.
RB a la carte. I like it.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Well, that depends on what you decide to call a single version.
The "single version" is when there is only one version. That's what "single" means. As soon as you have more than one, it isn't "single" any more. It's not complicated.

When we're talking manuals, there are "printings" and "editions".