Next hulldown.net aar

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great AAR, thanks!

Rules question. You said:

If it succeeded then it would have to then take a BMG shot against the rear tank to swing its Vehicle covered arc around to its strongest side.
But if you're hulldown, you cannot attack with a BMG. So I'm curious if one can take that shot (whose main purpose was to change the VCA) legally?

(Also, in DFF, you are always only shooting at the moving unit, no matter what is in the hex, IIRC. :) )

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
But if you're hulldown, you cannot attack with a BMG. So I'm curious if one can take that shot (whose main purpose was to change the VCA) legally?

(Also, in DFF, you are always only shooting at the moving unit, no matter what is in the hex, IIRC. :) )
Good catch on the BMG being NA through a wall!

MatrimSaric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yup, I would have had to take an intensive fire shot to get the vca around instead..Not quite certain which part refers to the DFF, if it was the berserk question this was fire from outside the hex during defensive fire and not defensive first fire.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yup, I would have had to take an intensive fire shot to get the vca around instead..Not quite certain which part refers to the DFF, if it was the berserk question this was fire from outside the hex during defensive fire and not defensive first fire.
Yes, that was what I was referring to and I mis-read it as DFF. :( I think you are correct but only in specific cases:

7.4 TARGET DETERMINATION: Except during Defensive First Fire (8.1), all the Personnel-units/unarmored-vehicles/Vulnerable-PRC in the same Location are considered targets of fire that does not have to specify a particular target, with the outcome of such fire affecting all those enemy (or Melee) units in the target Location (except those to which the LOF is blocked, such as being entrenched behind a wall [B9.21], Area Target Type [C3.33], or non-Crest units in a Depression [B20.92]). Although all targets are affected by the results of such fire combat, some may escape harm entirely while others are eliminated, broken, pinned, or affected by Heat of Battle (15.). A MC/PTC result requires all target units to take an independent MC/TC with a separate DR for each unit. A unit/weapon may purposely attack a friendly unit(s) only if specifically allowed to by the rules governing a particular circumstance (e.g., Prisoners, Melee, OBA); see C3.33 for Area Target Type.

As far as I can see, only if the weapon can 'specify a particular target' would other units in the same Location be immune to fire in DF; unless it's the last sentence " A unit/weapon may purposely attack a friendly unit(s) only if specifically allowed to by the rules governing a particular circumstance (e.g., Prisoners, Melee, OBA)" that makes it work. I suspect that is the case. :)

It would be great if the "particular circumstances" were listed somewhere.

MikeS

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He could have taken the BMG shot to determine LOS, even to an empty hex or an adjacent one (in that instance, the wall would be a TEM to the shot at an empty hex) or he could have waited to the end of it's turn for a free spin but would have had to retain the TCA in relation to the VCA.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He could have taken the BMG shot to determine LOS, even to an empty hex or an adjacent one (in that instance, the wall would be a TEM to the shot at an empty hex) or he could have waited to the end of it's turn for a free spin but would have had to retain the TCA in relation to the VCA.
This is where it's not so clear to me. The rule says:

4.223 HD FIRER: Non-MA bow-mounted weapons cannot be used against a target if the firing vehicle is HD to that target's position.

If the AFV had wall advantage (mandatory if there is no TEM in the hex), the it is HD to anything on the other side of that wall and thus the BMG could not be used. Is firing on an empty hex still a 'target'? In short, I would argue the BMG could not be used to get a 'free' VCA change if the VCA is moved in such a way that the target hex was HD to the AFV. My $0.02 at least. :)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would certainly agree with the last part of your statement (e.g. the target hex must not be HD to the firer). In most circumstances (unless in the center of the Bd10 village surrounded by walls), the AFV will have an unobstructed LOS to hex, even an empty one and a MG shot can be taken to determine LOS (albeit a little sleazy at times, but allowed). After some further research, I would have to amend my statement a little as I don't believe such an action could have taken place in the AFPh if the unit had fired in the MPh, even if it had ROF, as it seems a BMG would have had to be used during B1F only if the CMG had fired (D3.31).

MatrimSaric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just to note the blog will be dropping soon mainly because I cannot afford it. I am looking into setting up a free blog with blogger and will start reposting the contents (which I have saved). It won't be as nice as the other but will save me 400 dollars a year.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let us know when it's back up, keep up the good work. I enjoy reading your AARs.

MatrimSaric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The main site should be down now or very soon. I have set up a replacement and am (slowly) starting to re-add the original posts. This one is on a lifetime one off payment without an owned url so should last until the hoster collapses...

It is also not as pretty as the original.

Anyway the replacement address is

Hulldown.theblogpress.com