Newbie Question On Self-Rally

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm sure this happens a lot and am wondering about the proper way to do it:

Imagine a hex which has both a broken leader and a broken squad which does not have self-rally capability.

Can the squad elect to take its self-rally attempt (as the only MMC attempting self-rally in its RPh) AFTER seeing if the leader rallies first???

The ASOP seems to imply that the self-rally must be declared before the leader attempts his - which means...

If he does attempt self-rally with the squad and fails, and the leader passes his MC...then the squad can no-longer be rallied by the leader because a unit can only make one Rally attempt per player turn.

Do I have it right.

This is a nice example of the rules sometimes being more complex than necessary IMHO.

John LaPlante

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Imagine a hex which has both a broken leader and a broken squad which does not have self-rally capability.

Can the squad elect to take its self-rally attempt (as the only MMC attempting self-rally in its RPh) AFTER seeing if the leader rallies first???
Yes. It's the first MMC rally attempt that can be self rally (A18.11)

The ASOP seems to imply that the self-rally must be declared before the leader attempts his - which means...
No, the ASOP says "First ATTACKER MMC Rally attempt....may be Self-Rally/Field Promotion (A10.63; A18.11)" so you may try to Rally any/all SMC before you have to declare your A18 Field Promotion Self-Rally.

If he does attempt self-rally with the squad and fails, and the leader passes his MC...then the squad can no-longer be rallied by the leader because a unit can only make one Rally attempt per player turn.
This is correct, which is why it is wise to try to Rally your SMC first.

-John L.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The ASOP has (mine at least...maybe it's been updated).

1.25A First MMC Rally Attempt as Self-Rally
1.26B Rally broken units

.. and the sequence of the ASOP has to be followed strictly

This implies that the MMC Self-Rally has to be done before the leader gets a chance.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anonymous said:
The ASOP has (mine at least...maybe it's been updated).

1.25A First MMC Rally Attempt as Self-Rally
1.26B Rally broken units
Not sure which ASOP you have. ASLRBv2 has this:

1.23B May attempt to Rally broken unit(s) (A10.6); those with Commissar-(A25.222)/ Japanese-leader-(G1.41) which fail to Rally are Replaced or eliminated. First ATTACKER MMC Rally attempt (or first two; ABtF SSR CG14, BRT SSR CG14, KGP SSR CG18, and RB SSR CG17) may be Self-Rally/ Field-Promotion (A10.63; A18.11).

All units are under the same step for rally.

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
ARGH! Looks like they fixed it. I have the version 1 rules ASOP.

Does anyone know if the newer ASOP is available on any web-site?
Looks like RB v2 might be appealing when it becomes available again.