Newbie Qs

funkymuppet

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All,

I'm just working my way through first game, playing both sides - Guards Counterattack - and following Jim Stahler's excellent tutorials (they're a great approach for someone picking ASL up on their own, really helps to stage the needed learning and get you playing a game and actually enjoying it!).

I have a couple questions - without doubt very basic - but have not found clear answers yet in the RB or elsewhere - any pointers really appreciated!:
  1. With DM, a counter is placed on the SMC/MMC when they are first broken - it lasts through the RPh and is then removed (whether or not the counter rallies - except if it elects to keep the DM)? Also, if you have a stacked SMC and 2 MMC and both MMC break then the stack is SMC>DM>MMC>MMC?
  2. An MMC with an LMG - say 4-6-7 and 3-8. Is the resulting FP 7? and what range applies, 8? I assume cumulative on FP and max on range (yes, simple Q - but somehow couldn't find answer!)
Thanks in advance - looking forward to posting for a VASL game soon. Although likely will have more Qs...
JW

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
#2 - assuming no other modification
Range 0: FP is 4 + 3 = 7 * 3 = 21.
Range 1: FP is 4 + 3 = 7 * 2 = 14.
Range 2-6: FP is 4 + 3 = 7.
Range 7-8: FP is 4/2 + 3 = 5.
Range 9-12: FP is 4/2 + 3/2 = 3.5.
Range 13-16: FP is 3/2 = 1.5.

I.e., the squad's and LMG's FP are halved based on their respective normal range and the summed up.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
1. A unit may not keep DM in all situations.
See A10.62 : ... Place a DM marker on any unit under DM and remove it at the end of every RPh [EXC: A unit may opt to retain its DM status provided it is not in a woods/building/pillbox/trench so as to guarantee its ability to rout again in the next RtPh. If overstacked in a woods/building, it may also opt to retain its DM status.].

2. 7 FP means 6 FP column on the IFT.
You compute FP separately for the squad and the LMG.
So :
  • 0 range (TPBF) = 21 FP, that is 20 FP column on the IFT
  • PBF : 14 FP, 12 FP column
  • 2-6 range : 7 FP, 6FP column
  • 7-8 range : 5 FP, 4 FP column
  • 9-12 range : 3.5 FP, 2 FP column
  • 13-16 range (beyond squad's double range): 1.5 FP, 1 FP column
  • EDIT : got it wrong for 16 range.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
With DM, a counter is placed on the SMC/MMC when they are first broken - it lasts through the RPh and is then removed (whether or not the counter rallies - except if it elects to keep the DM)?
Yes, for the most part. The DM is not removed (or is immediately replaced, take your pick) if the unit ends up ADJACENT to a Known armed enemy unit. This might happen because the enemy unit is itself broken, or because a concealed enemy unit reveals itself, or probably for other reasons.

Also, if you have a stacked SMC and 2 MMC and both MMC break then the stack is SMC>DM>MMC>MMC?
That is the traditional way of putting down the counters. You could also have a separate DM counter for each MMC if you wanted. You might also put the DM counter on top of the whole stack (as long as you and your opponent are not too confused by it) so you can find stacks that need to be rallied.

1. An MMC with an LMG - say 4-6-7 and 3-8. Is the resulting FP 7? and what range applies, 8? I assume cumulative on FP and max on range (yes, simple Q - but somehow couldn't find answer!)
Range affects each element of the firegroup seperately. Twenty-one FP in the current location (TPBF, A7.21), fourteen FP at range one (in most cases), seven FP at ranges two to six, five FP at ranges seven and eight (the 4-6-7 is halved for long range fire), three-and-a-half FP at ranges nine through twelve (both halved), and only the LMG can fire at ranges thirteen to sixteen.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
16 range : must be directed by leader, treats unconcealed infantry as concealed, which halves the FP down to 0.75, which is less than the 1 FP column on the IFT, so NA. See A9.4 Mandatory Fire Direction.
The range has to be > 16 hexes for mandatory fire direction to apply [A9.4].

JR

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The range has to be > 16 hexes for mandatory fire direction to apply [A9.4].

JR
I noticed my error even before you evoked it and I edited my post.

funkymuppet

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey guys - this is great - many thanks.
Re #1 - thanks for clarification @jrv (Also I think the element I didn't find clear in the RB is that any unit that breaks in a turn is immediately DM - the term sounds like an additional condition rather than the default)
All very clear on #2 now - makes full sense re layering of the FP and ranges.
Really appreciate the detailed responses!
JW

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Re #1 - thanks for clarification @jrv (Also I think the element I didn't find clear in the RB is that any unit that breaks in a turn is immediately DM - the term sounds like an additional condition rather than the default)
A10.62 "DM is a condition which afflicts any unit during the Player Turn it breaks (even if it breaks voluntarily)." That is about as clear as it gets in the ASLRB.

Note that in the discussion of FP several less common cases were left out. A unit is doubled for PBF against a range one target unless that target is two or more levels above the firer [A7.21]. This can occur because of hills, but is also common with level two buildings where units on the top level can fire down using PBF while units firing up are not doubled.

TPBF applies to attacks in the same Location, but also to fire vs AFV from a higher location [A7.211]. Otherwise PBF applies if targets are at range zero (and not in the same location and not being vehicles fired on from above).

JR