Newbie needs to know, what's the deal with Tangiers?

Eric Weider

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's the story with Tangiers? Is it French territory? Can I occupy it with French or Brirtish units once they have declared war on Germany? Thanks for your help!

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
To the best of my knowledge, you can occupy Tangiers with French or Brit units as soon as you'd like.

A quick question - why would you want to occupy Tangiers? You'd need to declare war on Spain to go anywhere by land, or the Axis would have to sacrifice Vichy to gain Franco's support to activate Spain that way.

The only activity I've seen in Tangiers in all my games is an Axis garrison in conjunction with Casablanca and Gibraltar to deny the Allies the Med from this side...

Of course, every game is different, which is why I ask! (If you can tell without giving away any operational secrets, that is!)

Eric Weider

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mantis said:
To the best of my knowledge, you can occupy Tangiers with French or Brit units as soon as you'd like.

A quick question - why would you want to occupy Tangiers? You'd need to declare war on Spain to go anywhere by land, or the Axis would have to sacrifice Vichy to gain Franco's support to activate Spain that way.

The only activity I've seen in Tangiers in all my games is an Axis garrison in conjunction with Casablanca and Gibraltar to deny the Allies the Med from this side...

Of course, every game is different, which is why I ask! (If you can tell without giving away any operational secrets, that is!)
Thanks Mantis... My interest in Tangiers is strictly Newbie Folly!!!
I thought that Tangiers provided access to and from the Mediterranian but after reading your post I rechecked the map and see that as long as the brits own Gibraltar it is not possible for the axis to pass. So thanks again for the reply!
:eek:

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
Wolfe Tone said:
I think Tangiers was Free City till 1940 when Franco occupied it.
Absolutely right: similar status to the Free City of Danzig, Franco did get up the nerve to occupy it at the height of Germany's success, then voluntarily withdrew under Allied diplomatic pressure when things didn't look too good.

Eye candy really, but accurate, and it's of no special strategic value anyway.

Eric Weider

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to say that the folks on this EA board are tremendous...the reponsiveness to all sorts of silly (but when asked , important) questions is really wonderful and much appreciated!!! :love:

Polynike

Reaction score
Country
llGibraltar
dont worry Keef the first time i played i was the same. got your turn this morning ill reply asap

:)

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
EA is my favorite game ever....its just finding the time to devote to this Monster that puts me off giving it another go.

When I win the Lotto...

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wolfe Tone said:
EA is my favorite game ever....its just finding the time to devote to this Monster that puts me off giving it another go.

When I win the Lotto...
I wonder how we would do in another game of EA given we've added some experience under our belts since our first game. I am sure you go for Moscow the next time around...and I bet that would be the difference in win and loss. :D

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Yes I often turn that one over in my head.

But right now I could not give the commitment to that game that it deserves.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Keef said:
I have to say that the folks on this EA board are tremendous...the reponsiveness to all sorts of silly (but when asked , important) questions is really wonderful and much appreciated!!! :love:
It's our pleasure!

(Besides, talking about EA is the next best thing to playing EA!) :D

MikeJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Could turn it into a card game.

Mantis plays the 'Oblierate France Like the Surrender Monkeys They Are' card. 2D6.

MikeJ plays the 'Turtle Inside Maginot Line Like Whipped Donkeys' card. 1D8.

Mantis rolls: 2+3.
MikeJ rolls: 6.

Mantis counter-cards with the 'Furry Little Blue Pokemon' card (+9929392329292 vs Frenchmen) and wins the day!

Okay, maybe not. Though I'd imagine this is kind of how that Magic: The Gathering card game came into being.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
(Mantis examines his pack of 'EA - The Swarming' cards)

I swear... That Mike guy stole my gum when I wasn't looking!