Newbie looking to learn ASL and PBEM

Col Berki

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
Hi All

In my 60's I have not played ASL seriously for close to 30 years. Having forgotten all the rules I have acquired ASLSK #1-3 and am very keen to get back into it. Quite honestly, working my way through the starter kits, I am wondering if I ever really knew the rules. Living in South Africa, FtF is not an option since any opponents will always be in awkward time zones relative to me ( I have given up trying to find anybody in South Africa who plays ASL) so I need an opponent who
  • Is also learning the ASLSK rules
  • Wants to learn Pbem
  • Is extremely patient
I would like to work through a few of the basic ASLSK scenarios - maybe just infantry to begin with and then throw in the odd support weapon. My long term goal is to play some of the scenarios from Pegasus Bridge and Operation Watchtower - one-day!!! But my short-term goal though is more realistic - learn the basic rules to be able to play fairly fluently without having to refer to the rulebook every 2 minutes.

To be honest, I cannot see me getting through more than 2 turns a week, but if any newbies are in the same boat as me and would like to use the starter kits rules as a starting point, as well as how to play by email, drop me line and lets see what we can set up.

MatrimSaric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well it is practically the same as ftf. I prefer actual ftf play (or Skype with boards) but vasl does a very good job of getting close and has less hassle with counter management

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
2 turns a week is a bit ambitious with only 2-3 mailers as the MPh can take quite a bit of time, unless you make concessions on who rolls what.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Try bgg. There's a SA ASL group there. I've played one guy in CT. I left SA last year. Good luck.