Newbee on the Block

G

Greetings:

I first was interested in SL in 1977. After all these years, and years with computer strategy games, I am ready to return to boardgames, and ASL is the game of choice. Any advise, hints, tip, tricks, or any other postitive advise to assimilate the rules of ASL would be most apprecitated.

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Oberst said:
Any advice, hints, tip, tricks, or any other positive advice to assimilate the rules of ASL would be most appreciated.
Hiya,

The big one has to be to find yourself some opponents. In NYC, that shouldn't be too hard. They'll help you to learn which rules are important, and which are not, and they'll be able to explain the more convoluted sections in simpler language. Not to mention preventing any unusual 'wolfboy' interpretations of the rules :)

Frequent play is also a big help. Get those basics locked into your mind by playing as often as possible. If you can't make regular face to face games, then have a look at VASL (http://www.vasl.org) - this is a Java program that allows you to play ASL on the computer against live opponents (over the VASL server) or using e-mail.

Enjoy The Game!

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Newbies

Greetings Newbies,
I will give some advice for what it is worth. Visit as many ASL sites as you can. Read all the examples and tips you can. Borrow any generals, journals, and any other material that contains a series replay, these are move by move examples. Read the rules then Play. There are several excellent sites. I suggest you visit theSouthern California ASL site as it has the links to a large number of useful sites. Do not get discouraged by being defeated in the majority of your early games. You will learn more in a defeat than if you have a early string of victorys. Remember what your opponent did to you and use it in your next game or future play. Did he skulk, did he use bounding fire to his advantage, did you suffer the infamous vehicle bypass freeze, what ever happened learn from your opponent and ask him after the game any questions on tactics and game play.
Good luck and roll low,
Jim Ferrell

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thankyou for the advise; right now I am tinkering trying to get VASSAL to run on my machine; although I can connect to the server, I can't seem to get any maps on the screen; I think it may be my video card.

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Anonymous said:
I can't seem to get any maps on the screen; I think it may be my video card.
Could be - make sure you've got the latest drivers.
Alternatively, could be because your maps are in the wrong directory - check your preferences (happened to me twice now!)
If that doesn't fix it, put your colours down to 16-bit or less, and see if that helps.
If all else fails, pop onto the vaslmapcabal yahoo list and ask there...

G

ummmmm my name is George and I am an ASL newbie.... :lol:

First played SL in 1979 and played wargames all through college. Then came law school and after law school exile to Presque Isle Maine. Now after many years I return.

Thank God for Orlando and a decent population number