Newbe Mistake

Gunner98

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just back at Harpoon after about 10 years and thought I'd try my hand at scenario design again. First time out I made the clasic mistake of setting my sides up and then spent about 5 hours plotting the Norwegien Air force and all its bases in the side 'Bio'. :mad: Now I know Norwegiens like sea food but I have created the most heavily armed force of flying Tuna in history!! :D I have changed the postures but how do I change the name of the sides?

I asked on the Matrix form and they refered me to here - I guess it's not as simple as I thought it was?

Thanks

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
At present, there really isn't any easy way out of your problem. You could try to fix it with a hexadecimal editor, but I think that you would need a fairly high level of technical proficiency to accomplish that.

Here's a quick and simple solution to your problem. Why does it matter if your side is named, "Bio"? If you can live down the misnomer, why not just treat it like a side that has simply been mis-named? You can still change the postures, add orders, etc. just like any other side. So what if it looks a little bit funny? It won't affect play in any significant way? Just add a little explanation, if it makes you feel better.

I look forward to trying it out! Always nice to see a new designer testing his mettle. :D

Last edited:

FreekS

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Yes, I've done this once or twice also and not found an easy way out.

like Herman, I did not know a solution and generally rebuilt it, which can be done quickly especially if you have two games open at the same time; the building does not take the time, generally the thinking does!

Good luck!

Freek

Gunner98

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks guys,
Appreciate the advice, I will adopt both, use 'Bio' instead of NATO while testing and then fix it as suggested for final (if it gets that far).

What I hope to do is recreate a set of scenarios - or at least the idea of them from memory - I played in the original harpoon. They were built in a way that if you won a scenario you went down one path and if you lost you went down another (similar to John Tiller's Campaign Series LCG's if your familiar with them).

It's a bit ambitious but centers on Norway, start of WW3 in 94. I suspect that the situation may have been overdone in my absence from Harpoon but I cannot seem to find a scenaro that simulates the first hours in North Norway for instance. Could be missing something, not sure.

Gunner

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I loved those old campaigns! :cool:

I, too, have been hoping to get them resurrected for H3. IMO, there is no such thing as "overdone". Just look at the number of Kola / Iran scenarios out there, and each is different.

If you are looking for a North Norway scenario, you can check out Nordkapp by Freek Schepers. It is in the 21st Century Ocean Wars battleset for the PlayersDB.