Newb Review of Forgotten War: Two-Toned Counters Blow

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
After Ric posted Hot Dog Stand in another thread, I got to thinking - since the removal of the Berserk counters from the system, no one uses bright red. Could be a good colour for Commies.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I'm still waiting for the Finnish-Italians and Italian-Finns.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I played Gloster Hill last Saturday, and it was hard to distinguish the all-tan Brits from the mostly-tan Chinese. I have no issue with two-toned counters, but this is one instance where the choice of the two-tone colors made it less than optimal.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I said the Chinese should be blue on white background. When was the last time the Swedes and the Chinese fought a war?

JR

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Is it really that tough to tell the difference between a solid-color counter and a two-tone counter?
Yep. For this particular two-color combination in conjunction with the British colors. And my opponent felt the same way.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yep. For this particular two-color combination in conjunction with the British colors. And my opponent felt the same way.
Add in a touch of colour blindness, as I have, and all sorts of fun & frivolity ensues.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Although print registration has vastly improved since the AH days, it isn’t perfect enough to prevent issues with 2 tone counters. Any misalignment, no matter how slight is much easier to see on 2 tones versus solids. While my KFW 2 tone sheets are all out of alignment, they’re playable except for my South Koreans (sheet 4/7). Those have been cut so only the slightest edge of green remains along the top border. MMP with their excellent customer service already has a replacement on the way although I’ve been told it too is misaligned. I’m sure it’ll be better than what I’ve got and will be playable.

So based on my experience I think future 2 tones should be avoided if at all possible.

One other thought; if there’s no alternative to 2 tones you could double the width of the border color. A countersheet would have to be seriously out of alignment to make the counter unplayable.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
IMO, FW didn't include enough two-tone counters.

Acquisition counters for Chicom, ROK, and OUNC would have been welcome. After all, they get their own Sniper counters.

For example, can you tell the difference between a single-tone aquistion counter placed by an American unit, and one placed by an ROK unit during the same scenario?

Admittedly there aren't any scenarios in FW with American and ROK, or Chicom and NKPA, fighting alongside each other.

But then there aren't any scenarios with search lights either. ;)

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
IMO, FW didn't include enough two-tone counters.

Acquisition counters for Chicom, ROK, and OUNC would have been welcome. After all, they get their own Sniper counters.

For example, can you tell the difference between a single-tone aquistion counter placed by an American unit, and one placed by an ROK unit during the same scenario?

Admittedly there aren't any scenarios in FW with American and ROK, or Chicom and NKPA, fighting alongside each other.

But then there aren't any scenarios with search lights either. ;)
We have like 47 colors of acquisition counters. It's not hard to swap in another nationality's.

But, hey, I hate nationality colored acquisition counters anyway, they get lost in the shuffle way too easily. I prefer the bright primary and secondary color ones the game originally came with.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We have like 47 colors of acquisition counters.
Ya, I know. To match the 47 shades of nationality counters.

I prefer the bright primary and secondary color ones the game originally came with.
Really don't like these. Sure they stand out--hard to miss a purple acquisition counter unless you're playing KGP.

But it's also easier to tell what counter belongs to what side when the acquisiton counters correspond to a particular side.

Still, I get your point. Maybe brightly-coloured acquisition counters labelled Allied and Axis (or GG and Baddies) would be a better way to go, although this still doesn't address the issue of two allied forces fighting alongside each other.

Last edited:

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Ya, I know. To match the 47 shades of nationality counters.

Really don't like these. Sure they stand out--hard to miss a purple acquisition counter unless you're playing KGP.

But it's also easier to tell what counter belongs to what side when the acquisiton counters correspond to a particular side.

Still, I get your point. Maybe brightly-coloured acquisition counters labelled Allied and Axis (or GG and Baddies) would be a better way to go, although this still doesn't address the issue of two allied forces fighting alongside each other.
As a rule, I find the Germans rarely have acquisition on the Panthers. ;)

I dunno, I learned "use one for each vehicle type" and have never had any trouble keeping them straight, while I have frequently lost track of (and seen opponents lose track of) "nationality" acquisition. <shrug> Good that both exist. :)

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I learned "use one for each vehicle type" and have never had any trouble keeping them straight...
Just what I need, more to remember when I'm playing.

It's bad enough that I suffer from counter white out. (CX counters should be the same colour as their flip sides. It's not like you'll miss the big "CX" if isn't on a white background.)

As a rule, I find the Germans rarely have acquisition on the Panthers. ;)
Oh, so now you want the Americans to use Ami-green acquistion counters! ;)

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[QUOTE="BattleSchool, post: 1923134, member: 21846"
But then there aren't any scenarios with search lights either. ;)[/QUOTE]

"Bright light, bright light!" (use the Gizmo voice)....see ASL 218.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
[QUOTE="BattleSchool, post: 1923134, member: 21846"
But then there aren't many scenarios with search lights either. ;)
"Bright light, bright light!" (use the Gizmo voice)....see ASL 218.[/QUOTE]

Clearly a typo. ;)

Though I'm disappointed that I didn't hook a bigger fish. :D

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Though I'm disappointed that I didn't hook a bigger fish. :D
10-2s and 10-3s are hard to find, let alone land.... ;) You are lucky I just had to correct your bait type. You don't make slips like that much.

Last edited: