Newb Review of Croix de Guerre

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Sure, I agree that you need all the modules to get the full experience, and if MMP could both keep them all in stock and be viable, I'd want that as a preferred choice. But if they are not all going to be in stock, then I think that keeping those modules that contain the more major (ducks thrown items while acknowledging the sacrifices made by all participant nations, etc.) combatants i.e, Germans, Russians, Commonwealth, Americans, as well as the PTO and the RB from going OOP, would help people get into the hobby/lifestyle more easily. It's wishful thinking, I know, but still.
As good as the ASLSK are, if you want new blood in the hobby, you have to break down the interdependencies that have evolved over the last 30 years. Make Yanks, FKaC, Rising Sun etc. stand-alone modules just like Beyond Valor is.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1) CON: Die cutting doesn't always go all the way through the counter sheets, leaving ragged edges on the counters, and sometimes tearing the bottom if you don't cut them out with a razor blade.
2) CON: The French blue was a bit inconsistent: on a few sheets, there were areas of darker and lighter blue (and no, I'm not getting confused by German counters!). This isn't a big deal for me (you may well already have variable-color German and Russian counters from several generations of modules and HASLs), but I've never seen this within a single module before.
I watched an unboxing and noticed the color differences for what I'll call the regular French 5/8" vehicle and ordnance counters ("traditional blue") and regular French 1/2" infantry counters (lighter blue). I understand that the Vichy and Free French have slightly different colors and Vichy are two-tone. Was there a snafu with the color on the regular French 1/2" counters?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I understand that the Vichy and Free French have slightly different colors and Vichy are two-tone.
The French-blue part on the Vichy and Free French counters should be the same a "regular" French counters. I checked the print files and RGB values were the same on the 1/2" and 5/8" countersheets, so if something happned it seems it happend at the printer.

Jumbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who are the SMC with the DC symbols?

CdG2 has the original CdG scenarios, but not the overlays to play the original scenarios?

Extremely kool Rommel counter!

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Oh come on...Rommel should be a 10-3. If anyone deserves that status then it is him.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Who are the SMC with the DC symbols?
German Assault Engineers (you get to build bridges under fire in the Dinant CG)

Extremely kool Rommel counter!
Rommel has special powers, above and beyond other ASL leaders
  1. He’s superior to all leaders regardless of morale
  2. Has a 2 hex influence but doesn't direct attacks

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The most obvious are the "d" in "dm", which is about 50-60% taller than the "m" in the FW counters, but only 20-30% taller than the "m" in other MMP products.
The "d" in "dm" of the French dm MMG counters in CdG looks like the FW counters. Probably because the font size is increase by 10% (IIRC) compared to earlier products - started some time ago.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Maybe because it is the beginning of the war and Rommel is not yet a Field Marshal he is 'only' a 10-2.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To clarify, on my countersheets, it looks like every French-blue colorsheet was intended to be the same color, and there are no differences between colorsheets. What I mean is that in one part of some countersheets, I got an approximately 2-3 inch diameter circle of slightly darker counters. So it's definitely a printing thing, and not design-for-effect.

CdG2 has the original CdG scenarios, but not the overlays to play the original scenarios?
That's correct.

Oh come on...Rommel should be a 10-3. If anyone deserves that status then it is him.
Rommel can't actually use his DRM for IFT; it's just for engineer related stuff like building bridges or whatever. But it does effect units in a radius around him, rather than just his location. So he's not really comparable to "regular" leaders.

The "d" in "dm" of the French dm MMG counters in CdG looks like the FW counters. Probably because the font size is increase by 10% (IIRC) compared to earlier products - started some time ago.
True, although a font size increase wouldn't change the relative proportions of the different parts of the letters. So possible CdG is using the FW font, but they've fixed whatever printing issues were causing differences in stroke-width within individual letters in FW? The more I think about it, that was the main thing about FW that made it seem bootleg to me (and there wasn't much sign of it in the proof image you posted, although it was too low-res to really know; but that points to printing problem as well).

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Rommel can't actually use his DRM for IFT; it's just for engineer related stuff like building bridges or whatever. But it does effect units in a radius around him, rather than just his location. So he's not really comparable to "regular" leaders.
Does he affect morale in a radius around him?

(I guess he is the biggest sniper magnet imaginable....ouch)

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Does he affect morale in a radius around him?
From the DN SSR:
"An unpinned, unwounded, Good Order Rommel increases the Morale Level (A.18) of all other Friendly Infantry/Cavalry units within two hexes by one, while prohibiting the application of another leader’s DRM to morale activities in the same Location as Rommel. Rommel may not direct IFT or TH attacks."