Newb Review of Croix de Guerre

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I am extremely irritated that the outlines of the tools, tow cables, headlights, vision flaps and hatch hinges are indistinguishable.
I think I know where your tongue is, but if the ink is bleeding into the paper such that those details aren't distinguishable - like I said, not a big deal on its own, but may speak to the longevity of the counters. Personally I like old, beat up counters, so not an issue for me, but if the materials were sub-par, there may be issues of greater wear. If that bothers you, something to think about.

MMP didn't do this deliberately, I shouldn't think. I had a similar issue when my friend Clive published one of my books through his publishing house. The photos came out too dark, and he apologized, said the printers used the wrong type of paper and the ink bled a little bit, enough to rob the photos of really crisp detail. It was a minor thing, and once published - nothing you can do about it. Except maybe pick another printer next time. You can have the greatest artwork in the world done to the pixel at 1200 dpi - if you don't have the right inks and paper, it ain't gonna matter. And the publisher needs to balance the costs vs. the benefits - that's IF they're even aware of the options available to them before they pull the switch on the printing press.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The vehicle image and the lettering on the counter image on the left (the new counter artwork) looks terrible. I really wish I had seen these images prior to dropping so much money on this product. Worst of all, someone actually proofed these counters during some phase of production and didn't think there was a problem.
I'm sorry, but I think this is ridiculous, and I am not shy about criticizing anybody and anything under the sun. The counters in the examples have letters and numbers that seem perfectly crisp to me. The vehicle artwork looks a little "thick," but not in any way that particularly detracts from the counters, and I doubt I would have even noticed it--and certainly wouldn't have commented on it.

Since I finally got my copy of Croix de Geurre, after waiting a month and a half for the damn thing, I cracked open one of my copies and looked at the counters. On a different countersheet, I found a little white dot on one counter, and I thought the lettering on the "Climb" counters was a little too close together or thick. However, Countersheet #9 was, as they say in Fury Road, perfect in every way. So my copy didn't even have the "issue" that your copy had, but I would not even deign to say that your countersheet has a real issue. No letters or numbers are blurred, fuzzy, indistinguishable, etc., and the vehicle depiction is still fine, even if it has thicker lines.

I'm sticking up for MMP in this instance.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I looked at mine and only some of the vehicle depictions seem just a little thick but in no way does this make them unplayable or even unattractive. We are in a very OCD like hobby (ASL) so peoples opinion will vary.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As someone who "actually proofed these counters" - I can say that the proofing PDF files look just fine. So to me this looks like a printing issue.
Indeed, the posted PDF proofing files do look good. I'm referring to the 'proofing', or quality control inspection which resulted in the 'blurry' counters being inserted in to some of the customer's boxes.
Yes, it certainly is a "first world problem", however this product has been marketed at a significant 'first world' price.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Indeed, the posted PDF proofing files do look good. I'm referring to the 'proofing', or quality control inspection which resulted in the 'blurry' counters being inserted in to some of the customer's boxes.
Yes, it certainly is a "first world problem", however this product has been marketed at a significant 'first world' price.
Agreed if the "first world' price I paid for is for "counters precisely the way I want it", but it's not. I expected a package of 'first world' intellectual property and I have yet to see otherwise.

But then perhaps you do have "seriously crappy smudged vehicle images" counters? (Quoting from the OB)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I am extremely irritated that the outlines of the tools, tow cables, headlights, vision flaps and hatch hinges are indistinguishable.
I have heard a rumor of another issue with US leader counters in Yanks 2:

The 9-2 named Jackson, for example, is not holding binoculars in his hands but a cellphone.

Happens in the best of historical movies, yet still...

von Marwitz