• I don't care I only want to play.

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We are pleased to announce that WARS (our ladder system) has received a new look and, more importantly, a new rating system. Players are now assigned a numerical rating based on the both the results of their battles and the quality of their opponents. To see the new look, go to the ladder main page. For a detailed explanation of how the ratings are calculated, go to: Rating System

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WARS gets a new look and rating system!

Everyone who is a member of the SP Ladder or is considering joining really needs to read this "Announcement". Please follow the links that will explain the new Rating System. Some of us will change positions but in the long run this system will set the bar higher for those sites not using something similar.

CyberRanger said:
We are pleased to announce that WARS (our ladder system) has received a new look and, more importantly, a new rating system. Players are now assigned a numerical rating based on the both the results of their battles and the quality of their opponents. To see the new look, go to the ladder main page. For a detailed explanation of how the ratings are calculated, go to: Rating System
In other words, you won't get many points for beating up on me in PBeM games. At least not until I get more victories against real SP players. :p

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I dont like it myself,it lumps all SP players into the same group.No Modern ladder anymore.

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
WARS has a new look...

... and a new rating system.

Both scenario and opponent's status are computed when points are awarded if I understand it correctly.

Achilles

Reaction score
Country
llGreece
No problem with me DD :laugh: :laugh: LOL,

Question:

If a rookie register to the ladder and then in his first game wins a decisive against me :laugh: , what will his rank be? :halo:

cheers!

CyberGeneral

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For grins, how does the rating system know if any player has abused the game system in achieving a (let's say) 80% winning victory percentage?

danstudentvcc

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Achilles said:
No problem with me DD :laugh: :laugh: LOL,

Question:

If a rookie register to the ladder and then in his first game wins a decisive against me :laugh: , what will his rank be? :halo:

cheers!
Hello.
The nice thing about beating a nice player with a lossless record is that any win against them gains you a greater percentage of the GP points. This also extends enormous amounts of prestige to the upset winner.
Assuming you remain nice and allow them a rematch. :surprise: Then this would cause them to give you a reason to retire. :OHNO:
If this were to happen without others getting a chance to take advantage of your sudden drop in play then I would say your opponent would then have your rank and be targetted by all in search of a big first kill.
:D
Let them dream Achilles.

Have a great day.

Danstudentvcc:smoke:

danstudentvcc

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Skirmisher said:
I dont like it myself,it lumps all SP players into the same group.No Modern ladder anymore.
:( Skirmisher is right. No matter how you slice or dice it. The two games are separate and in their own right require non-transferable skills.
Perhaps the oversight can be addressed.
Perhaps as well there will be further pages depending on feedback or completion.

Danstudentvcc

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
danstudentvcc said:
:( Skirmisher is right. No matter how you slice or dice it. The two games are separate and in their own right require non-transferable skills.
Perhaps the oversight can be addressed.
Perhaps as well there will be further pages depending on feedback or completion.
Thanks for the feedback. It is not the end product AFAIK but we wanted to get this out for everyone to see (Cyber Ranger was going to be busy for a little while and he was not sure how much more time he could devote to it or when he could make changes/ajustments). I will bring this up to the powers that be. I am sure it impacts some of the other sections in the same way (different versions of Combat Mission, the Campaign Series and others).

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The NEW Ladder System?

By Request:

How do you like the new ladder system?

1. I LIKE it!
2. I DO NOT like it!
3. I'm not sure yet.
4. I don't care, I just like playing.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I suggest that players get on the ladder & play around with it.

You can find all kinds of little "extra's" that make it a great new addition to SZO.

each catagory ranking by "most/least."
Who is who by country (flag)
Individual player trends & games.
Scenarios played
Complete Scenario results.
Opponents score etc.

I hope you all notice that we are the SECOND largest section (# of members) at SZO! :D

FYI- 5000 ladder pts = average / base line. If you are above it you are winning, below it you are losing. Maximum points are @7000.

The lower ranked an opponent is than you the fewer ladder points you get,(win or lose).
The higher an opponent is than you the more points you get for winning.

Coming soon to a post near you will be a full explanation about the system. (I'm hoping! :whist: )

Last edited:

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
I think it is incomplete yet, boss.
It has nothing to do what games you played. It is a good rating system, but yet, it does not record the usual total scores of games played at all. I am not sure whether Brent is going to add that feature later though. But anyway, it is more like a chess rating chart right now, rather than a war game record system.

I am fine with whatever rules basically. :)

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
Also, btw, boss, the rating system is carefully explained already in the web link.

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
About WARS, CyberRanger, question :)

Hi, Brent, first of all: when did you change your handle from westpointer to CyberRanger --- you sneaky boy! :)

Second: is this new WARS system complete by now? I feel it is just the new Rating system, but it does not cover the total score system (or traditionally "ranking") yet. Since right now, it is just like a chess rating system which does not consider which scenario you played at all. i.e., playing a huge scenario vs. a tiny scenario has no effect on it. So are you going to add that feature later or this is just it? :)
(because I worked so hard to accumulate so many points to top the ladder, maybe? :D )

wehrwolf

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
From the cheap seats...

Call me old fashioned but I like the other system. I have seen this used before on other ladders, and that is why I am not on other ladders. I enjoyed the fact that a game was a game whether he was conscript or elite. If the old system isn't broken, don't fix it.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
A much needed improvement

This is far better than the old "play your way to the top" of the old ladder. You could simply play a lot of games and stay near the top, win or lose,...why bother. Now,...I'm hardly the most competitve type in that I rarely play a 'match' game (I leave it up to my opponent) but a system that hopes to show the 'actual ability' of players in a mildly competitive system needs a +/- scoring system. Used it with the old O.A.R.S site for ASL and will use this for both games now.

Well done to SZO! :thumup:

Last edited:

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Wondering

Does this address the type of victory? i.e.A total victory or say minor victory. If not can it be worked in? :confused:

Another thing, is there a limit on how long an inactive player should be on? Save the rating of them if they come back then apply it to them. :)

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
2054172 said:
Does this address the type of victory? i.e.A total victory or say minor victory.
I don't believe so,...then again it is not really necessary. The ladder is for all games supported here at SZO and most do not have differing levels of victory. In CM it only matters if you won, lost or tied, the rest is unimportant in the end.

NiG

Reaction score
In a lovely 3 bedroom terrace just a stone's throw
Country
ll
ER_Chaser said:
...it does not record the usual total scores of games played at all.
I never liked that system anyway... :surprise:

This new ladder however I think is spot on! :love:
However, the victory percent is a little misleading with some players having played a single game four years ago (and having won it) showing up at the top!! :nuts:

Maybe don't list a player if they haven't posted a game in the last 12 months? (they've probably given up if that's the case) :confused:

BTW - I'm the top Brit in all the ranks that count
:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::salute:
.. (eg NOT games lost etc :dead: )