New version ACOW

Enigma

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have there been any companies looking to update ACOW? I think that is it probably the best turn-based wargame engine out there (wish naval was better). Does anybody know if someone has looked at updating it? I know there are other games in development like the Battlefield game at Matrix, but it does not have the same scope and flexibility. I like playing a turnbased, division level game, weekly turns, 15km to 50km hexes. There just does not seem to be anything on this scale, but ACOW. Reminds me of board wargaming days.

Heck I would take just a patch to make the naval a bit better.

Thanks

Roofio

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
If i had to take a guess i´d say there won´t be to much interest from the companies´side. the game is just to flexible. You can only sell it once and can´t milk it via add-ons and such. even publishers like hps, who can´t hide their boardgame-roots, prefer releasing stand-alone games in a series.
Nowadays i´d doubt if TOAW would ever make it to the shelves, to be honest.

Enigma

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well that would be unfortunate. Then I hope someone will fix the naval so it is alittle more realistic. I like the game as a whole and really have tried some of the newer games but keep coming back to this. About the only games in this genre that are good are Uncommon Valor and War in the Pacific, but those are more naval games than a total wargame system. And frankly I do no see how it is possible to play War in the Pacific all the way through in anything less than 6 or 7 years. But am trying it :D

Menschenfresser

The Amazing Rando
Reaction score
I think the route that TOAW will take, if any route at all, is one like Steel Panthers where the source is released (either publically or to a select group) who would revamp the game. This is what I'm hoping for.

A labor of love.