New translation - The Broken House by Horst Krüger review – growing up under Hitler

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

He recounts his liberating sense of wonder when, in a prisoner-of-war camp at the end of the war, after he had deserted the army and surrendered to the Americans, he “was holding a newspaper in my hands, which was in German and didn’t lie”.

Interestingly I was watching a program on the Battle of the Somme where German intelligence had interviewed British prisoners. One of the things that they picked up on was that the British soldiers complained about the Daily Mail newspaper. It had "Letters from the Front" articles which had clearly not been written by anyone at the front.

Plus ca change..........

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
"He recounts his liberating sense of wonder when, in a prisoner-of-war camp at the end of the war, after he had deserted the army and surrendered to the Americans, he “was holding a newspaper in my hands, which was in German and didn’t lie”.
Savour this sentence.

And then think about what those people who promote 'fake news' and 'alternate facts' do today to democracy.

One cannot but be appalled by the irony.

von Marwitz