Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Scanning the members list, I saw that many new ASL players that recently joined the forum haven't written a single post.
Now, that is their full freedom, but I am asking myself if some of them hesitated to enter some of the "grognards' debates" or if they were somehow shy to write their first post here.
So it gave me the idea that newcomers could post here a hello and introduce themselves, and see how we greet them in return.

This is the place to ask all the questions about the game, whether you think they could seem basic or even "dumb".
It is also the place to meet gaming opponents, exchanges experiences and find some ASL stuff (note : no copyright law infringement allowed here).
Don't hesitate entering the debates : everybody can contribute, and "new blood" can even help !
If you fall upon a flamewar :horse: , take note that most of the time the heat of the debate and even the quarrels between some of the most vocal among us don't slip towards personal feuds - when time has come to play, and to real life encounters, things get civilized :halo:.
So make fun of it :hurray: : we are in the futile world of a wargame that tries to give a pleasing approximation of WW2 tactical conflict.:smoke:
So, WELCOME to all those who are joining this forum ! :)

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New people BEWARE..........

Do not send Robin your:

Social Security Number...

Birth date....

Favorite VISA or MC number......

Run away.......

BEWARE........................:nuts:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Kevin Kenneally said:
New people BEWARE..........
BEWARE........................:nuts:
AAARGH! My evil plans are uncovered!:eek:

BUT I STILL remain a Velocirap-Preda-Termina-Moderaaa-tor : I can move your threads, destroy them, edit them, pollute them and trace you down via your IP number...
!:devil:

Muahahahaaaaa...
:freak: *

notice the use of a devil emoticon by a pastor : a rare occurence you mustn't miss :D...

caa

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robin said:
AAARGH! My evil plans are uncovered!:eek:

BUT I STILL remain a Velocirap-Preda-Termina-Moderaaa-tor : I can move your threads, destroy them, edit them, pollute them and trace you down via your IP number...
!:devil:

Muahahahaaaaa...
:freak: *

notice the use of a devil emoticon by a pastor : a rare occurence you mustn't miss :D...
Dismayed and warped by jealousy of Batman's continuing fame and fortune, a fallen Robin now plots and schemes from his lair deep within the Swiss Alps, protected by that country's neutraity... :devil:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
caa said:
protected by that country's neutraity... :devil:
Switzerland is no more neutral : we joined UNO some time ago...:(
But I indeed am ploting evil shemes in this terrorist sanctuary : preparing some machiavelic setups for the coming scenarios I am planning to play between Xmas and New Year...

Gunner

Ernest Borgnine of ASL
Reaction score
Not exactly new

I'm not really a new guy. I've been around here and playing the game for a few years, I just don't post much and I've had some computer problems lately. But for the record ASL play is alive and well in Columbia, MO. See you all around.

Shawn

Oloap

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I can't but repeat myself: "I am back in the ASL fun after 12 or so years of absence...you know how it goes...you get married...one day your wife brings all that game boxes down in the basement "because we need more room in the closets for baby's stuff"...then one day the basement gets flooded and bye bye ASL... :rolleyes:
Now, after divorce one old gaming mate got me back into it.
I have got the 2nd edition rules and the two starter kits so far.
But I want it all. :devious:"
Other than that I like the place, it is very informative and you guys seem to be friendly.
Snakeyes everybody ;)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Thanks, Shawn and Paolo, for beginning the thread seriously :rolleyes: !
And, again, welcome and benvenuto around here.:cheeky:

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robin said:
Thanks, Shawn and Paolo, for beginning the thread seriously :rolleyes: !
And, again, welcome and benvenuto around here.:cheeky:

When time has come to play, and to real life encounters, things get civilized :halo:.
So make fun of it :hurray:
Robin,
If you take everythin in life too serious, then you'll wind up with a belly full of ulcers....

Great to see new people, but I have only "paraphrased" some of your comments...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Kevin Kenneally said:
Robin,
If you take everythin in life too serious, then you'll wind up with a belly full of ulcers....
Great to see new people, but I have only "paraphrased" some of your comments...
Hey Kevin, I really did appreciate your humour !:thumup:
I think you took my ironical remark too seriously yourself !
This thread is meant for fun too...:joy:
So, will a big hug and a kiss on your forehead do to comfort you ? :laugh:

Oloap

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Pitman said:
Paolo, are you aware of the Italian ASL forum?
Yep Mark thanks :)
One of the guys who gave me again the passion for ASL is Marco Lombardi, who runs www.openground.it so I am aware of the forum and of your site too, where I have downloaded a few .pdf already ;)

GeoffC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, my name's Geoff and ...

I've become an ASL addict! :)

Thought I'd post a (non-)serious reply ...

I'm new to ASL (played about 12 games, 10 of which
were ASLSK#1) and I'm having a good time with it.

Now I'm playing simple (infantry/SW only) "full" ASL
scenarios.

I thought I'd mention, for other newbies like me, how
great it is if you can join an ASL club like I did (the
SoCal ASL club). I'm playing the full game because they
are more than willing to teach me (and I think they
want opponents for the full game ..). Sometimes I
even win! The club is a great bunch of guys. Also, I
don't have to worry about accumulating a full ASL
set for a while. But if someone out there has a copy
of Red Barricades they want to sell for a non-insane
price ... :whist:

I play once or twice per week - again, the club is
great because I have access to opponents.

Geoff (6+1 ... but having a good time being 6+1)

Reactions: Abe

Macisle

Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Howdy folks!

I'm very glad to be a new member of this forum. I've been eagerly devouring the rules & tactics advice, as well as the humor and banter.

Below is a copy-paste of a post I did a few weeks back in the "How did you first hear about ASL?" thread. It gives an in-depth of my history with SL/ASL.

WWII has fascinated me as long as I can remember (my favorite documentary series is The World at War, narrated by Laurence Oliver). Growing up, if Dad's channel surfing landed on something WWII, that is what we watched and it rubbed off on me.

In the late 70's, when I was approaching ten, I discovered that my favorite toy store was also a hobby shop. On the top shelf of one of the hobby section aisles they had a good selection of AH titles, with most of them being wargames. Immediately Squad Leader stood out to me as "The One." There was just something about the box art and game focus that captivated me. I pestered and pestered my mother until she finally gave in and got it for me (was the 4th ed, purchased in '80, I think).

Unfortunately, I was too young to hack the rules and the adults around me couldn't get past the first column or two of the rulebook. So, I pretty much just put counters on the boards and played soldier with them, turning them to the broken side when they were "dead" (but, being a weird kid who was fanatical about preserving cherished possessions - I have never lost a single piece of that module!).

Over my preteen and teenage years, I bought various other titles:

Airforce (a present for a friend. We played once and I was the only one who read the rules).
Gettysburg (no players, eventually lost it in a move).
Firepower (still have it, largely unpunched).
Up Front (unpunched with one card deck opened. Still have it).
Banzai (unpunched. Still have it)
Patton's Best (played through the campaign once. Still have it.)
Car Wars (lost everything).
Starfleet Battles (played solitaire for awhile. Still have it.).
Star Trek the Role Playing Game (got friends to play once. Still have it.)

The only time I managed to play SL FtF was in high school with a buddy who hadn't read any rules. He beat me! Otherwise, I played the first two scenarios solitaire a few times each and skimmed the rest of the rules.

In '97 I left the States to work overseas for three years. Before leaving, I gave all my games to a friend (who only plays D&D!) thinking that I would never play them again. Wisely, he knew that I would regret it and kept them safe for me until my body and senses returned.

While overseas, I got my first PC and purchased Close Combat III & IV and Panzer Elite. I bought Combat Mission upon its release and played WWII Online periodically over its first couple of years. Far and away Combat Mission was (and is) my favorite video game.

I got back in 2000 and in 2003 remembered my old board/RPG games while at a party at my friend's place. He got them down from the attic and returned them to me - a bit mustier than when I gave them to him, but untouched otherwise.

SL was among them and it wasn't long before I began to read the rules again. To my astonishment, my wife decided to give it a go with me and we played the first two scenarios.

At this point, I really got into it, re-read the whole rulebook and began hunting modules on ebay. I bought COD and COI (returned due to shipping damage) and then found VASL and got clued into ASL vs. SL. I had seen BV back in '85 at the hobby shop, but didn't buy it and didn't know about the leap from SL to ASL.

Once I sussed that ASL was the way to go, I went looking for the ASLRB and BV. MMP was out of them at the time, but I managed to find mint shrink-wrapped AH copies on ebay and got them there, along with a musty, but unpunched copy of the AH printing of Yanks.

After playing a few ASL scenarios with the wife, she had had her fill, so I went looking for players. VASL gave me my first taste of play with a veteran opponent. As wonderful a tool as VASL is, I much prefer the asthetics of the board game, so I went looking for local players on the MMP Player Directory.

I found two local players up for a game, but have only managed to get one session in so far, due to their very limited availability.

Over the last two months, I have been playing SASL using a borrowed copy of the rules and my old SL counters (a use for them at last!). I'm wrapping up the 4th scenario of my first CG as Russians.

So that's me and ASL up to this point in a nutshell (if a big nutshell!).

One interesting thing I've come to realize - my favorite video games, Combat Mission and Starfleet Command, are adaptations of my favorite boardgames - ASL and Starfleet Battles. They funny thing is that, as great as the video games are, I much prefer the boardgames, and as my early FtF experience with the boardgames was so limited, I have really moved from video game to boardgame. Talk about bucking a trend!

To my taste, ASL is the best game ever. It took me 23 years to realize that this is the one game I must play and to feel confident that I can grasp the game system adequately to grow (hopefully!) into a good player. But now I am here and I keep feeling the need to pinch myself that such a great game exists and is still being printed and played!

I look forward to being a long-term member of the ASL community.

Best regards,

Macisle

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Macisle said:
The only time I managed to play SL FtF was in high school with a buddy who hadn't read any rules. He beat me!
I rilly, rilly, rilly hate when that happens!
Macisle said:
To my astonishment, my wife decided to give it a go with me and we played the first two scenarios.
Urgh. She's obviously a sweetheart to give it a try, but personally I wouldn't play a one-on-one combat game w/ a significant other. Living together is tough enough!
Macisle said:
As wonderful a tool as VASL is, I much prefer the asthetics of the board game, so I went looking for local players on the MMP Player Directory.
Actually I agree that VASL can be rather dry, in fact it's almost a different game, especially in pbem mode. Still, you can almost always find an oppo in VASL, and test your skill & luck against someone on the far side of the world. And best of luck to you as you grow in the game.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, guys--please do me and everybody else here a big favor.

When you post here to introduce yourself, PLEASE TELL US WHERE YOU ARE LOCATED. That way, we can put you in touch with other ASLers in your area, if you are interested, or inform you of local ASL clubs, tournaments, and other similar things.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, my name is Robert Wolkey. I just started playing a few months ago and I'm a horrible player. I need some new players from Spokane to teach me how to play, so if you're from Spokane send me an email and get an easy win or two.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
GeoffC said:
Geoff (6+1 ... but having a good time being 6+1)

I don't know too many other games that are (almost) as fun losing as winning. They tell me Golf's like that, but I've not really bothered with it, in spite of my boss's best efforts..

Pete "I think he just wants to play somebody he can beat" Shelling :whist:

zcrater

Reaction score
First name
Zeke
Country
llUnited States
Robert Wolkey said:
Hi, my name is Robert Wolkey. I just started playing a few months ago and I'm a horrible player. I need some new players from Spokane to teach me how to play, so if you're from Spokane send me an email and get an easy win or two.
LAND SHARK!

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robert,

I think you're not only 'known' in Spokane, they might have even heard of you on the west side of the state, Idaho and N. Oregon. . . :laugh: