New to ASL - Alternate means of play without punching counter sheets?

romelwell

Recruit
Reaction score
Some time ago I was fortunate enough to purchase 2nd edition ASL rulebook and a sealed copy of Beyond Valor along with ASL Starter Kit #1. As I look at the counter sheets, it occurs to me that I might want to keep them unpunched and instead make color photocopies of the counter sheets to use during game play. My sole reason for this would be to protect the original counter sheets should I ever need to replace a lost or damaged counter.

Any thoughts on this idea? Is it worth the effort, and if so, what would be the best process to create these surrogate counters?

Thanks.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not worth your while. BV has no great resale value so it's not as if you are spoiling a future £300 sale by punching them. An unpuched BV goes for £60 a punched one for £45.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Honestly, I would punch out the counters you bought and use them.

It is much nicer to play with quality counters rather than with some photocopied improvisations.

And I would not underestimate creating those improvisations - remember, that you need both front- and backside of the counters. That would mean photocopying everything, glueing front and back pecisely on some piece of cardboard and cutting all that stuff out. Gah!

If you fear for some lost counter, I'd rather photocopy a remaining one for the one you lost (or do a print from the VASL version of that counter). As an alternative, you could try to buy some punched counters or modules.

But IMHO it appears a little absurd if you buy BV but do not use it for fear of losing a component... ;)
Besides, if you stay with the hobby - and ASL surely IS "THE GAME" of WW II tactical warfare - you might end up buying some existing or future releases / historical modules that might include some extra counters of the type you fear to possibly lose. Most of the time, you only need a fraction of the countermix and occasions in which you are short of a certain type of couter are quite rare except if to want to start off with large historical ASL modules.

von Marwitz

romelwell

Recruit
Reaction score
Excellent replies...thanks guys. I feel more comfortable swinging by a local hardware/hobby shop to purchase a storage bin now for my soon-to-be punched counters.

Luke Sineath

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, you do not need to worry about losing a 4-6-7 here and there. You'll end up with more counters than you'll know what to do with. If you want, scan the countersheets before punching them.

Penthau

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about VASL? I like it even when playing solitaire because I don't have to put the counters and maps away when I am done.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Excellent replies...thanks guys. I feel more comfortable swinging by a local hardware/hobby shop to purchase a storage bin now for my soon-to-be punched counters.
If you want to save yourself future troubles - start off the right way from the beginnnig: Use RAACO.
I wish I had... <sigh>

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
How about VASL? I like it even when playing solitaire because I don't have to put the counters and maps away when I am done.
Of course, VASL is absolutely great in many respects and I highly recommend it. But I think romelwell's question was aimed at counter usage for Face-to-Face play.

von Marwitz