New Solitaire System for ASL

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
It also looks like it has to be engineered for each scenario one wants to play as opposed to a general method.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Sounds like most of that is taking a bit from ASL and a lot from SASL.
Common sense cures all ills.

Looks good to me Joao Lima, thanks for sharing it. Still trying to find the time to work on the Sniper! stuff we had discussed but hoping to get some spare time after a move next week.

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
There are two diffent ideas being discussed on this thread: Joao Lima is discussing how he converts published scenarios to SASL and doesn't use the system that Dorosh introduced.

The published product sounds like a scam with the $200 price tag. Maybe Michael, you could contact this guy and have him explain what the deal is.

Joao Lima's solitarie system seems like you basically have to sit down with a scenario and try to figure out what makes sense from a SASL perspective -- unless he has done the work for a large number of scenarios.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The published product sounds like a scam with the $200 price tag. Maybe Michael, you could contact this guy and have him explain what the deal is.
I am reasonably sure I already know what the deal is.

You are misinformed about the price tag. The opening bid is $5.00, not 200. Apparently, someone thought enough of it to bid it up to 200 dollars. It may be name recognition, it may be ebay buyer madness, it may be a collector's "gotta-haveit-itis", it may be all of the above.

I cannot speak for the bidders - no idea who they are - but I presume they are entering into the bidding fully informed about what they are getting. Caveat emptor applies.

I see no evidence of a "scam."

I have no association with the seller, for the record.

Joao Lima

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Joao Lima's solitarie system seems like you basically have to sit down with a scenario and try to figure out what makes sense from a SASL perspective -- unless he has done the work for a large number of scenarios.
That is correct. I'm not claiming to have developed any 'system'. I just found a personal way to play regular scenarios using the SASL instructions for the PO. As you say, it's a scenario-by-scenario thing, not a 'system'. I was happy with the results, maybe you guys will hate them. I was only trying to be helpful, and share something I did and enjoyed. Nothing else.

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
How many scenarios have you done this for? If you have quite a few, it might make a good artile in one of the various magazines or even a sticky on the SASL sub-forum.

Joao Lima

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
How many scenarios have you done this for? If you have quite a few, it might make a good artile in one of the various magazines or even a sticky on the SASL sub-forum.
Maybe a dozen or so. Will have to check once I'm home.

Now that you mention , I might a 'do it yourself at home' article for this...

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I did the same things as Joao a long time ago for

Guards Counterattack (both sides)
Fighting Withdrawal
Silence That Gun

the thread's still up too...

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?t=64045&highlight=SASL

It worked well. Silence that Gun in particular was a lot of fun.

No comment really about those eBay things. You know, I'm just not convinced from what I've seen that Wild Bill is all that great a ASL designer to spread that kind of money around for those. Reviews of the Vietnam stuff would be nice, but I'm fairly certain those things were bought as investments and will never be opened, punched, played. I can't imagine buying a game/guitar/car and never playing/driving it, but to each his own.

benj

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I still fail to see how that kind of "product" can sell for $181.49 ... someone must have to much cash to spend :nuts:

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I still fail to see how that kind of "product" can sell for $181.49 ... someone must have to much cash to spend :nuts:
or is an incredibly die hard collector of the obscure and uncommon..