New seamless USGS server using different data formats

blond_knight

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New seamless USGS server using different data formats, now cant make AATF maps

http://edcsns17.cr.usgs.gov/EarthExplorer/

The good news: The SRTM data was moved to a new server earlier this year thats faster and integrates google earth.
The bad news: Even though the data is apparently still 1 degree x 1 degree, theyre using some different sort of data format so I cant import a map into AATF.

I dont know much about mapping file formats, has anyone else has any success?
And preferably a tutorial?

Last edited:

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: New seamless USGS server using different data formats, now cant make AATF maps

There is a free tool called MicroDEM/Terrabase. It allows you to load in one format and export into another. You need to export to USGS DEM format for it to be loadable into AATF/ATF powertoolkit.

The tool is available here:

http://www.usna.edu/Users/oceano/pguth/website/microdem/microdem.htm

blond_knight

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pat I appreciate the reply. After several days of fighting with it I finally discovered my problem. Somewhere, either in the offcial Prosimco online help or in "Drunk Russian's" map making tutorial it states that overwriting files during the map making process will cause serious problems. That is not a idle suggestion it totally fubar's the overwrite and the file is consistantly corrupted. Its been so long since I made a map that Id forgotten.
ID10t error.

Last edited:

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am glad you got it working. This new USGS tool is a really great tool. You have no idea how hard those maps USED to be to get.

blond_knight

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
trouble with 32 bit

Pat, I did notice something I havent seen before that I think is a bug. When I try to create a new elevation map and it creates the color and contour bmps, if the screen res is set to 32 bit the bmp's are only 1kb and blank. If I set my screen res to 16 bit it works normally.
What worries me is that while hardware moves forward wargames dont, and eventually we wont have the option to switch to 16 bit color.
Would it be possible to patch the power toolkit so it works fully in 32 bit color?

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: trouble with 32 bit

I am aware of the issue. It is a deceptively hard problem to fix unless the Power Toolkit wants to be unneighborly and force the resolution to change whenever it runs. But I will take a look at it in light of the new AATF graphics engine. I might be able to port some tools over to fix the problem.

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Re: New seamless USGS server using different data formats, now cant make AATF maps

Pat,
I know its a long time since I have been around. Its easily put down to old age, and life hiccups. Something like partially functional and operational.

This, Microdem program, seems to have vanished, or simply I can not get to the web site. It returns a "can’t connect to the server" message.

I did a web search for it and still end up with nothing.

There is a free tool called MicroDEM/Terrabase. It allows you to load in one format and export into another. You need to export to USGS DEM format for it to be loadable into AATF/ATF powertoolkit.

The tool is available here:

http://www.usna.edu/Users/oceano/pguth/website/microdem/microdem.htm