New scenario posted in download section - The Battle of Waterloo

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
Another unusual one, a tactical version of the Battle of Waterloo, using the XIXth century modified database to allow for ranged artillery and musketry fire (just unzip the Battle of Waterloo 2 zip into your graphics folder, it won't affect your other scenarios). Twenty half hour turns, PO for both sides, if the French don't push along the Brussels road faster than they did historically they'll be taken in the flank and probably beaten by the arrival of Prussian I and IV Corps: however significant elements of the latter will fall back east (disband) as (if!) the French advance through and beyond the Allied initial position on their ridge. Used a wide variety of colours to give it a tactical look. Comments and criticism welcome. And a very Merry Christmas to you all.

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll
Mark,

Oooo... thank you. Downloading now.

Map Scale? 50m?

Merry Christmas.

Best wishes,
Steve

Last edited:

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
Nope, it really is tactical level so 2.5 km/hex, that wasn't quite right for half hour turns so Movement 150% to make it fit.

Menschenfresser

The Amazing Rando
Reaction score
Very nice. Played through in one evening against myself.

French moved quickly taking Papelotte, La Haye, Chateau Hougoument, and La Haye Sainte. The French left flank with the quick capture of the Chateau charged their cavalry, rolling back the Allies' screen. The French center battered over the ridge and took the crossroads, which was subsequently lost and then regained, kicking most of the English off the ridge causing Wellington to fall back. Even with the Duke of Brunswick and the Dutch shoring up the Allies right, French looked poised to roll the English right back into Waterloo. At the crossroad the fighting had worn down both sides; neither had the strength to carry on for a few hours and so the Allies were able to shift some cavalry right waylaying the French end around. Napoleon thought he could use half the Old Guard to break the stalemate in the center and so ordered them forward, but Blucher proved too quick and the French cavalry screening the right flank at Hanolelet and northeast of La Haye were easily routed by the Prussian advance units. Very close to the front lines, Napoleon's best were order to about face and return to La Belle Alliance. About this hour, Wellington counterattacked the crossroads, taking it back for good but unable to route the French center. Over the last five or six turns the entire French right collapsed, with the Old Guard fighting a delaying action against the Prussians almost to the main road. DRAW.

I enjoyed myself; and while the end said, Draw, it was definitely a French defeat. They did better than they had historically. I'm not certain but I think the Allies did not suffer many, if any, withdraws. Perhaps if they had, they could have broken the center, had the Dutch quit the field.

The breaking of the crossroads by the French was due in large part to a key unit evaporating during the Allies' turn, allowing the crossroads to be attacked from two sides and drawing off units that should have reinforced the center.

As soon as the French took the Chateau, their cavalry bolted forward, catching the English flank offguard. Before they knew it, they'd lost the western end.

Cavalry are definitely too strong in this. If you use them as historically as you can (not that I even know what that means), they kinda work. I mean I have played some other Napoleonic era games where they have definite strengths and weaknesses. In this the infantry just can't touch them...making them seem very much like pure armor units circa WWII pitted against almost pure soft body units with very little AT. I think one might be able to game this scenario by using them the same way one uses tanks in WWII scens...by simply charging fortified infantry lines with impunity. Then again, Mark, I've always thought your scenarios required more style and understanding that I can attribute to myself--being not meant for those of us who play TOAW as if all the units are wind up cars we point in the general direction of the enemy.

And the news at 9:30 PM was absolutely awesome...

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
Cheers, thanks for the very full review.

You're right about cavalry, although if you do try to use them as pure battering rams, unsupported by infantry or artillery, they will wear out. The key thing I couldn't simulate in this was the infantry's ability to form square, greatly reducing the effect of unsupported cavalry attacks. It's a pity you can't restrict entrenching to infantry only.

This isn't FitE, but hopefully it gives a short, interesting game, with some of the characteristics of Waterloo.

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
And don't forget that cavalry, unlike infantry which can provide supporting musketry fire from three hexes away, is only able to affect the hexes immediately adjacent.