New Scenario Idea

Jeff Gilbert

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm back [finally] into the beginnings of my planning stages on a new CPX style event. The battle I would like to model is "loosely" based on some of the depictions from Larry Bond's book Vortex.

Sceanrio. Taken from the books depiction of one of the Cuban MRR+ advance marches and the opposing SA blocking forces at key locations or chokepoints.

Forces. The Cuban force will be easy to create as they are mostly older Soviet equipment. The South African's will be a bit trickier. With nothing modeled for that [former] country, I will be scouring the TacOps unit database for suitable replacements.

Map. Havent decided on which map to use or to just start making a brand new one. If I don't get too sidetracked, I could have a new map researched and made in about 30 days.

Two questions remain ...
1. Does this hold anyones interest or am I spinning my wheels?
2. Any suggestions or ideas for SA equipment?

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jeff Gilbert said:
. . .Two questions remain ...
2. Any suggestions or ideas for SA equipment?
1. Interesting to model non-US forces for a change. Might make a good game.
2. We can probably figure it out on a piece-by-piece basis using the penetration and armor figures in the weapons database. I have [nearly] all of the Major's post WWII stuff in an excel spreadsheet. Given the key parameters I should be able to find a close match.

I will probably not be able to play in mid-August however.

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sounds interesting to me. I always thought Coyles, The Ten Thousand would be a good game. We have Germans but no modern French stuff.

fbscheuer

Reaction score
Jeff Gilbert said:
I think that there is a shameful lack of this kind of scenarios for TacOps. Considering the ease with which historical OOBs and maps can be created we should have many more such scenarios. So I for one would be happy if you went along and finished it, and also if you made a PBEM version.

Fredrik

Jeff Gilbert

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've finished up the Cuban OOB for their Brigade Tactical Group. Like I mentioned earlier, not to hard as it is mostly older Soviet equipment.

After scouring throught the book a bit further, I have got "most" of the South African equipment replaced, however there are some I can't seem to find a good replacement for. So, here is what I have decided on so far and any help with the remaining is greatly appreciated.

Olifant Mk A1 = CA Leo C1(+) closest match as we don't have a Centurian.
Rooikat 76mm 8x8 = CA FSV Cougar 6x6
G5 Towed Arty = AU/NZ Howtx 155mm FH2000
36 Zulmac AA = OP AAA ZU-23-2 actually what it is
Ratel 81mm Mort = CA Bison Mort
Inf Tm G3 Rifle = GM Inf PzGren P6

Eland 90mm 4x4 = ???
APC Ratel 20mm 6x6 = ???

I am also looking for a lower power, shorter range Inf ATGM (2 or 3 per company, I am leaning toward the CA Eryx P2 but am open to any ideas)
--------------
Don't know how I put that Thumbs Down on the top ... fat fingers I guess.

Last edited:

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Odd units for scenarios? Cough cough cough...research.....cough....cough.....user guided developement.....cough cough cough.....unit requests :halo:

There is a slew of them out there for the Majors consideration already. Baring a military contract driving new units maybe there is hope for them yet. Ask not get not is my philosophy.

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've finished up the Cuban OOB for their Brigade Tactical Group. Like I mentioned earlier, not to hard as it is mostly older Soviet equipment.

After scouring through the book a bit further, I have got "most" of the South African equipment replaced, however there are some I can't seem to find a good replacement for. . . .

Eland 90mm 4x4 = ???
APC Ratel 20mm 6x6 = ???

I am also looking for a lower power, shorter range Inf ATGM (2 or 3 per company, I am leaning toward the CA Eryx P2 but am open to any ideas).
If you have a little more info about the armor ratings (Front/side/rear) troop capacity, the characteristics of the primary weapons I might be able to help.

Jeff Gilbert

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, the three SADF vehicles I am still trying to find a good TacOps replacement for are: NOTE. I am not concerned about varients, they are just there for reference. Also, I am kind of leaning toward the LAV-AG for the Rooikat ... let me know if you have any recommendations.

Ratel-20 IFV 6x6 Wheeled
Crew = 4
Passangers = 7
L = 7.21m W = 2.7m H = 2.395m
Wt = 18.5t
Armor Thickness = 20mm all sides
Main Gun = 20mm semi-auto cannon
Secondary Arms =
1 x 7.62mm coaxial
1 x 12.7mm (cdr hatch)
1 x 7.62mm pintal
2 x 2 smoke gren dischargers
Varients =
Ratel-60 (60mm mortar)
Ratel-81 (81mm mortar)
Ratel-90 (AG) (low-velocity 90 mm gun, a license-made copy of the 1950s-vintage French GIAT F1)
Ratel-Zt2 (ATGM) (laser-guided ATGM is roughly comparable to the European HOT or American TOW missiles in performance; in fact, there have been allegations of it being based on a TOW prototype design which the Central Intelligence Agency provided to South Africa during the 1980s)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratel_20

Eland-90 Lt Arm Car 4x4 Wheeled (original French designed Panhard AML-90)
Crew = 3
Passangers = 0
L = 3.79m W = 1.97m H = 2.07m
Wt = 5.5t
Armor Thickness = ??
Main Gun = 90 mm GIAT F1 gun
Secondary Arms = 2 x 7.62mm MG pintal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eland_Mk7
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard_AML

Rooikat76 AFV 8x8 Wheeled
Crew = 4
Passangers = 0
L = 7.1m W = 2.9m H = 2.8m
Wt = 28t
Armor Thickness = ??
Main Gun = 76mm/62 AT gun w/48 rounds
Secondary Arms =
2 x 7.62mm pintal
8 x 81mm smoke gren dischargers
Varients =
Rooikat-105 (105mm AT gun)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooikat_AFV

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmmmm . . .

Here are a couple of possibles to consider:

Ratel-20 IFV 6x6 Wheeled
Crew = 4
Passangers = 7
L = 7.21m W = 2.7m H = 2.395m
Wt = 18.5t
Armor Thickness = 20mm all sides
Main Gun = 20mm semi-auto cannon
Secondary Arms =
1 x 7.62mm coaxial
1 x 12.7mm (cdr hatch)
1 x 7.62mm pintal
2 x 2 smoke gren dischargers
BTR-80
Crew = 3
Passangers = 10
Wt = 13.6t
Armor Thickness = 20/7/5
Main Gun = 14.5mm MG
Secondary Arms =
1 x 7.62mm coaxial
smoke gren dischargers

OR

BTR-80
Crew = 4
Passangers = 0
Wt = 19.5t
Armor Thickness = 35/20/20
Main Gun = 20mm cannon
Secondary Arms =
1 x 7.62mm coaxial
smoke gren dischargers

Eland-90 Lt Arm Car 4x4 Wheeled (original French designed Panhard AML-90)
Crew = 3
Passangers = 0
L = 3.79m W = 1.97m H = 2.07m
Wt = 5.5t
Armor Thickness = 8 - 12mm Per my old Jane's pocket guide.
Main Gun = 90 mm GIAT F1 gun
Cougar
Crew = 3
Passangers = 0
Wt = 12t
Armor Thickness = 30/22/7
Main Gun = 76mm

PT76B
Crew = 3
Passangers = 10
Wt = 14t
Armor Thickness = 20/16/16
Main Gun = 76mm (HEAT)

EDIT: Just ran across some Rooikat data -
The South African 76mm high velocity tank gun may arm some Tankitas, producing a vehicle similar to the M24 Chaffee or Scorpion light tanks.
The GT4 76mm/62 calibre gun weighs 1,575kg and has HE-T and APFSDS-T rounds. The tungsten alloy APFSDS-T has a muzzle velocity of 1610m/s (5,281fps) and an effective range of 2000-3000m, being capable of penetrating the T54/55 and T62 at all angles of attack. The HE-T has a velocity of 915m/s (3,000fps), a direct fire range of 3000m and a indirect fire range of 12km when fired from the Rooikat turret. A Canister round was planned for the weapon, and may be available by now. The rounds used by the GT4 are the same as the Italian OTO Melara Naval gun but uses electronic rather than mechanical priming. Ammo for the OTO Melara includes Proxinity Fused Fragment (PFF) and Multirole with VT, PD andTime delay fusing, both of 6.3kg weight with a 0.75kg HE content. There is also a APFSDS-T of 2.175kg.
The OTO Melara is used in a ground to air role and has been mounted on AFVs for such purposes. A vehicle mounting the GT4 gun may also have anti-aircraft applications.
ARTICLE ON: http://www.angelfire.com/art/enchanter/tankita.html

Last edited:

Jeff Gilbert

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Coyote,
Tremendous help! Thanks so much for the assist. :clap:
(And thanks to the others who emailed me directly)

I now have the OOBs done, Map783c completed, scenario description writen, initial forces OPORD 75% complete and the specific intell write-up underway.

If I buckle down, and get the free time, I can get this thing finished and we can play before the end of the year.