New SASL missions

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Hey gang - uploaded a Fortified Line mission and a Sweep mission. Questions/Comments welcome. AAR's especially welcome!

You can find them in the Resources section. Took me a minute to figure out how to upload files here. I was trying to post them within the post at first.

Mods: Is it cool to announce this in the main forum? If not, delete this post or move it where it should be, with my apologies.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey gang - uploaded a Fortified Line mission and a Sweep mission. Questions/Comments welcome. AAR's especially welcome!

You can find them in the Resources section. Took me a minute to figure out how to upload files here. I was trying to post them within the post at first.

Mods: Is it cool to announce this in the main forum? If not, delete this post or move it where it should be, with my apologies.
Awesome!

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Had to update the Fortified Line mission - I missed an important MSR when transcribing it from my notebook. Please re-download, with my apologies.

Still interested in feedback from anyone playing. Also still working on updating more old missions and campaigns I made, if anyone is interested in some SASL playtesting.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Had to update the Fortified Line mission - I missed an important MSR when transcribing it from my notebook. Please re-download, with my apologies.

Still interested in feedback from anyone playing. Also still working on updating more old missions and campaigns I made, if anyone is interested in some SASL playtesting.
I wish I could, I just don't have the time.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

Setting up the Fortified Line mission now, any recommendation on friendly force? Seems like USMC 4/44-45 are the only company to get FT by default. High smoke exponent might help too :)

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Played this one through, lots of fun but the board I ended up with allowed a covered approach through woods right up to one end of the pillbox line, was able to take out one pillbox then roll up the rest of the line as the pillboxes are not mutually supporting. Another trench line behind the pillboxes covering their rear would make this really nasty.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Hi jyoung
Yes, that is the key. Getting through the wire, mines, and trenchline is supposed to be the hard part, while (at least potentially) under fire from a PB. Did wire or mines give you any trouble? How did your Creeping Barrage go? What (half) board were you using? What nationalities?
Do you think the player's company should start with a squad or 2 of assault engineers and FT/DCs? That is something I've been debating, especially since reading your first post.
Interesting idea about the 2nd trench-line. I wonder how historical it would be though. Just seems a bit of a weird set-up to me, but maybe it's actually more historical, I don't know. It certainly would make things tougher, that's for sure. It would also add another line for the creeping barrage to either hit or miss, which I like. The more lines there are, the more the effects of the CB will tend to normalize, and produce less extremes (ie - decimate every layer of the defense, or skip over the most important layers entirely).

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I think I got pretty lucky in every possible way. The barrage did little in terms of revealing and damaging units, but did take out one wire with a 1KIA and reveal one dummy minefield, right where my woods cover was, so I only had to go over one minefield hex. I was using board 19 in config 2 (hexrows R-GG, coord 10 to the north). I played July '44 SS against Russian, pushed a couple of 120mm mortars onboard up north to provide some smoke cover as well as hard hitting 12FP with ROF 2, rest of the force came through the woods in the south. Pillboxes ended up being in V3, V5 and V9, so none of them could fire on my units coming through the woods, other units in the trenchline got smoked and couldn't do much. So despite my previous post, didn't need FT or DC (or PSK or PF), just good old CC did the job against the pillboxes.
I should play it again with the same force, would probably have a very different result on a different board.
Cheers,
John

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Fortified Line was a mission I made for a Crimean campaign I designed probably 10-15 years ago. I retyped it, edited it, and formatted it, and have just uploaded it.

It is used twice during the campaign, once for the first mission on the Perekop Line and again for a mission to break through the perimeter defenses to Sevastopol (it is the first of 3 Sevastopol missions, which conclude the campaign).

John, if you want to play it again, maybe playtest the whole campaign (hint, hint, nudge, nudge). :whistle:

I really do appreciate the feedback, which motivates me to keep working on stuff.

Mark

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I am also working on a campaign of the 2/2 Australian Independent Company that fought a guerilla campaign for 10 months in Timor while it was occupied by the Japanese, and early stages on one of the Greek Sacred Band commando company that was composed of all officers (and fought at the action upon which The Guns of Navarone is based).

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
John, if you want to play it again, maybe playtest the whole campaign (hint, hint, nudge, nudge). :whistle:
Thanks Mark, very much appreciate the work that you and all the scenario designers put in, can't promise it too soon but will definitely give it a go.