New release eh?

Heinz Fischer

CCIP @ Subsim.com
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Something that caught my eye in the latest discount announcement email that I just got from SES...
The next release in the Jutland Series is almost finished. We hope to announce it in the next 2 to 4 weeks.
So I guess it's official. Seeing how Jutland is in the title, I think we can safely begin to speculate about precisely what part of WWI it will center on :D

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
The rest of it I hope!

But whatever it is, it's good news.

Interesting that SES call it 'The Jutland Series' and not 'The Distant Guns Series'. That implies another WWI title rather than a different war.

Lempereur1

Kapellmeister
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually, it is both.

We will also be announcing the next title at the same time! (Which should ship this Fall).

The Fall title will open up a new era for the Distant Guns engine!:whist:

Back to work..

PS: Bullethead, get back to testing....

Xavier

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Actually, it is both.

We will also be announcing the next title at the same time! (Which should ship this Fall).

The Fall title will open up a new era for the Distant Guns engine!:whist:
I'm not sure I understand very well.

So...there is still hope for a 1898 spanish-american war ?? :hail:

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
I should think SES must do a WW2 simulation, if they want lots of sales the Pacific Theatre is a must for their main fan base - American wargamers.

I wonder what the Jutland add-on will be? Perhaps a pre-1916 ship pack and an earlier campaign setting? *dreams of Blucher and other German ACs*

Vasco

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Until the Jutland game engine handles aircraft other than dirigibles, I don't think WWII is on the cards. They must be going back in time - ironclads perhaps?

(Thinks fondly of Peter Turcan's naval series of games from many years ago)

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
I can't see the 1898 war holding much appeal, it was so one-sided and there was only one battle.

MoToM

Reaction score
Country
ll
Surely 'open up a new era' has to mean WPO, assuming there is no massive upgrade to the engine to render Vascos assertion false.
I can think of no other large scale naval confrontation that does not involve aircraft.

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
Does it need to be large scale? I sometimes sit there with a Jutland fleet action paused so I can take a break from the clickfest, rubbing my wrist and wondering if the game isn't better suited to smaller encounters.

ACW Ironclads anyone?

Of course the Mediterranean in WWI would be my first choice, esp if there was an option for the Italians to join the Central Powers.

EDIT: I knew nothing of War Plan Orange but it being written in 1924 fleet air power was then in evidence certainly in the Royal Navy and being brought into being in other navies. Japan's planned response to WPO was to use aircraft carriers and submarines so a WPO based game would still need an air warfare element.

Last edited:

Heinz Fischer

CCIP @ Subsim.com
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Surely 'open up a new era' has to mean WPO, assuming there is no massive upgrade to the engine to render Vascos assertion false.
I can think of no other large scale naval confrontation that does not involve aircraft.
I would tend to agree - I think WPO is the most likely new era. Although I would think that the Spanish-American War would also not be a bad candidate at all.

I may be proven wrong later, but it would make sense for the engine to mature a bit more before moving to WWII which will need a whole slew of new core features (radar, air combat, etc. etc.) If anything, I think there's a much better probability that the game would move back in time to the age of sail - that'd also require a lot of core feature changes, but I think the engine is more likely to deal with that better right now... Plus IMHO the age of sail is by far the more open field for SES to take to - there's not anything even resembling competition for what they might offer in that genre at the moment.

However this is exciting news in any case :)

Last edited:

JAG88

Reaction score
Country
llChile
"Secret weapons of the Kaiserliche Marine"!!! :D

Mackensen, Sachsen, Yorck, L20, Hood 1917&1920, Curious, Spurious & Outrageous... maybe G3, N3, Nelrod...

On a more seroius note, the rest of the WWI ships would be nice... plus Mackensen. :p

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I should very much like to see that! Even if we "only" get the ships that were completed until the finish of the war, it would certainly increase the possibilities immensely. Like the second batch of Flanders torpedo boats, SMS Hindenburg and SMS Baden and many new light cruisers of the Cöln type, and the Entente forces would get to play with many more mine layers.

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
I want Aboukir, Hogue and Cressy!

Three before breakfast. Again.

But yes... going back to the 1700s and early 1800s would simply be awesome. I know a huge group of naval gamers over at the old Sea Lords forum.We used to play AOS2 practically every night. Lots of customers there. The online community is crying out for a "proper" age of sail wargame / sim, not these rubbishy pirate things we get every six months, or some eye candy tripe bolted onto a Total War release.

Xavier

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
going back to the 1700s and early 1800s would simply be awesome. The online community is crying out for a "proper" age of sail wargame / sim, not these rubbishy pirate things we get every six months, or some eye candy tripe bolted onto a Total War release.
I couldn't agree more.
A real age of sail sim simply doesn't exist.....All those pirates games are still arcadish even after modding, same with strategy games like ETW or Commander COA, the naval part is ridiculously oversimplified, just beautiful graphics with nothing more inside.

As heinz Fischer wrote, there is a complete vacuum in the market for an age of sail sim.

Akos

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
I hope it's WPO, that would really be a dream coming true and I think there is al arge enough fanbase for that here! Just pleae ohh please add in all those never-weres - even the British ones please :D!!!

For the Jütland expansion pack I think it's what you described here, all the rest of the WWI ships or at least the more interesting ones. Though I have to wonder how much would it cost based on what SES charged for the US expansion pack - though if this one includes never-weres like what JAG88 listed above I don't mind!