New program to help set up VASL scenarios

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Are you getting your information from VASL? I compared what VASL is saying for each one vs. theASLRB 2nd Edition, and the recently-released eASLRB:
Code:
            VASL                    ASLRB 2nd Ed.       eASLRB
Pz VIE      A6(2)/5(3)/4(4)         A6(2)               A6(2)
Pz IVH      A5(2)/4(3)/3(4)         A5(2)               A5(2)
StuG IIIG   A6(2)/5(3)/4(4)         A6(2)               A6(2)
T34 M43     A4(2)/5(3)/6(4)/7(5)    A4(2)               A4(2)
KV-1 M42    A4(2)/5(3)              A4(2)               A4(2)
SU-57(a)    A5(3)/6(4)/7(5)         A5(3)               A5(3)
I don't know where VASL is getting its data from, but unless there's some errata floating around somewhere (and it looks like there might be), I go by what's in the RB.

Good grief. I note that both RB's show the counter backs as having the extended APCR numbers, but the tables have the abbreviated ones. Which one takes priority? One would assume the counter, but is there some reason for this discrepancy? :mad:

Double-click on an AFV/Gun in the vasl-templates UI, and you can edit the various values, including setting Elite status.
That's weird. As you say, I am sure that the counter takes priority there.

Thanks for resolving the "elite" status issue.

tommyl

Reaction score
First name
Tommy
Country
llUnited States
The notes for the tables say:
Am Special Ammo Availability.... The number is the Depletion Number (C8.9), and the superscript following it indicates the first year it applies. Consult the counter for Depletion Number in subsequent years. (Emphasis mine).

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
The notes for the tables say:
Am Special Ammo Availability.... The number is the Depletion Number (C8.9), and the superscript following it indicates the first year it applies. Consult the counter for Depletion Number in subsequent years. (Emphasis mine).
Fer crying out loud, why would you do it like that?! :mad: They couldn't be bothered to go back and update the tables?

Sigh... 😢

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
For some reason, VASL Templates has stopped working on my laptop. Every time I try to open it, I get a message saying "Unexpected Error" FLASK-PORT-NO
Any suggestions how to fix this?

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Version v1.7 of vasl-templates has been released here.

Main new features:
  • The vehicle/ordnance data has been updated to reflect information from the back of counters.
  • Vehicular smoke dispenser Depletion Numbers are now not affected by Elite status.
  • Added a vehicle entry for the LCV.
  • The log file analyzer now recognizes the new-style Turn Track Phase Wheel.
  • Vehicle/ordnance Chapter H note images are now cached.
For that last one, if you have set up your Chapter H notes as HTML, and have enabled "Show Chapter H vehicle/ordnance notes as images", this will speed up loading scenarios into VASSAL significantly. Check the release notes for details.

Thanks to everyone who reported issues; I'm off to the pub!

j42k

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Images for vehicles/guns are not loading. I am using a Mac, and have the server working fine EXCEPT vehicle/gun images. It pulls scenario data when searching for a specific scenario in the "Scenario" section, so I know it can see the internet. I can see the vehicle/gun data when I prepare a snippet. However, I cannot get any vehicle or gun images to load. I have tried both "get images from the internet" and "get images from this program" under the Settings menu. Please advise.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Images for vehicles/guns are not loading. I am using a Mac, and have the server working fine EXCEPT vehicle/gun images. It pulls scenario data when searching for a specific scenario in the "Scenario" section, so I know it can see the internet. I can see the vehicle/gun data when I prepare a snippet. However, I cannot get any vehicle or gun images to load.
It sounds like you're talking about loading images within the program itself, not in VASSAL. These are not loaded from the internet, you need to configure a VASL module.

If you're running the Windows EXE, this is done in the server settings (File menu, in the top-left corner). Check the Quick Start Guide in the Help for info on everything you need to configure.

If you're running a Docker container, it's a parameter to the run-container.sh command (run it with no parameters to get help).

If you're running from source, it's configured in your site.cfg (use site.cfg.example as a template).

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How much work would it be to add standard deviation data to the overall dice stats (and for each type of roll, IFT, TH, MC, etc)? We just finished a scenario that had over 1000 rolls, and saw some interesting VASL dicebot numbers.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
How much work would it be to add standard deviation data to the overall dice stats (and for each type of roll, IFT, TH, MC, etc)?
I thought about it at the time, but decided against it. Dice hotness was something to sorta track that kinda thing. But you can download the raw stats as a CSV, import it into your favorite spreadsheet and analyze the numbers to your heart's content :)

Last edited:

Cpl Wright

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
I just updated to the latest version 1.7 but I'm getting this error. Any ideas how to fix it?18570

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I just updated to the latest version 1.7 but I'm getting this error. Any ideas how to fix it?
This doesn't make a lot of sense. Is the file it's looking for actually there? I think your installation has got messed up, somehow.

Download the ZIP again, and unpack it to a different folder, then run it from there.

Cpl Wright

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
This doesn't make a lot of sense. Is the file it's looking for actually there? I think your installation has got messed up, somehow.

Download the ZIP again, and unpack it to a different folder, then run it from there.
That worked! Not sure what I did wrong the first time, but when I deleted the program and reinstalled it, that worked. Thanks!

thosmos

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Thomas
Country
llUnited States
I was finally able to link an image on line to a VASL set up using VASL Templates. I am playing with my brother, so -- I edited the aftermath. Lol... We are both Pieriks. (Dutch)18694

Last edited:

PezBailarin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I can't unzip the chapter-h-placeholders.zip file. Both windows and linux complain about it not being a proper zip file, so I guess I must be downloading it ina wrong way.

Can someone post a direct download link here, or even post here the whole file?

Thanks!

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Will the program run using Microsoft Edge as opposed to Google Chrome as the web driver?

Also the program is not finding my VASSAL version

'Cant get the VASSAL version:
VassalShim error: rc=1'

I'm using VASSAL version 3.5.8

Thanks

Paul

Last edited:

thosmos

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Thomas
Country
llUnited States
Will the program run using Microsoft Edge as opposed to Google Chrome as the web driver?

Also the program is not finding my VASSAL version

'Cant get the VASSAL version:
VassalShim error: rc=1'

I'm using VASSAL version 3.5.8

Thanks

Paul
When I start my VASL Templates, I get the same error. With some tinkering, I never managed to get rid of it. But it seem to not effect anything on my end and the Templates program works. Oh, and I initially set up and downloaded the Chrome Webdriver. But since lately, just leave it blank, and I see no difference.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
When I start my VASL Templates, I get the same error. With some tinkering, I never managed to get rid of it. But it seem to not effect anything on my end and the Templates program works. Oh, and I initially set up and downloaded the Chrome Webdriver. But since lately, just leave it blank, and I see no difference.
Cool, I'll try again :)