New program to help set up VASL scenarios

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
Running Version v1.5, I added an image for the Commonwealth OML 2-in. Mortar (british/ordnance/1.png), but when I use the OB Snippet button, it leaves off the html code for locating the image as shown below:
Works for me :) You restarted the program after setting up the PNG file? Does it happen every time? Does it happen with every vehicle/ordnance?

Try turning on "Show Chapter H vehicle/ordnance notes as images" in the Settings. This isn't actually what it's supposed to be used for, but it might work-around a possible bug...

Last edited:

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did some more checking and it works when the selected player is "British", but doesn't work when the selected player is Canadian or New Zealand.

While checking, I also noticed that the "+ Add" button for Vehicles and Ordnance for player ANZAC is grayed out, so I couldn't even check if it worked for the ANZAC.

So it works for the British, but not for other Commonwealth nations.

Last edited:

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I did some more checking and it works when the selected player is "British", but doesn't work when the selected player is Canadian or New Zealand.
Aha, that's it! I get the same behavior. Because the Canadians and Kiwi nationalities are so similar to the British, they're "based on" the British nationality (they have nationality ID's of "british~candian" and "british~newzealand"), so it looks like there's a bug when generating the image URL's for one of these derivative nationalities. In the mean time, changing the switch I mentioned earlier seems to work around the problem.

While checking, I also noticed that the "+ Add" button for Vehicles and Ordnance for player ANZAC is grayed out, so I couldn't even check if it worked for the ANZAC.
ANZAC's are a separate nationality (ID "anzac") - the Add button is disabled because they don't have any ordnance defined for them. They also don't have any vehicles either, but the ones you see are coming from the Blood & Jungle extension.

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aha, that's it! I get the same behavior. Because the Canadians and Kiwi nationalities are so similar to the British, they're "based on" the British nationality (they have nationality ID's of "british~candian" and "british~newzealand"), so it looks like there's a bug when generating the image URL's for one of these derivative nationalities. In the meantime, changing the switch I mentioned earlier seems to work around the problem.

ANZAC's are a separate nationality (ID "anzac") - the Add button is disabled because they don't have any ordnance defined for them. They also don't have any vehicles either, but the ones you see are coming from the Blood & Jungle extension.
So you have Canadian and New Zealand as selectable nationalities but not Australian? Aren't you from Australia? ;)

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
So you have Canadian and New Zealand as selectable nationalities but not Australian?
It's not that they're selectable, they're based upon the British i.e. the Canadians and Kiwis are the same as the British, except for a few small differences. Internally, the code loads up the British nationality, with all their vehicles/ordnance, and then just copies everything over for the Canadians and Kiwis. Same thing happens for the Chinese GMD, who are based on the Chinese.

But looking at the RB, it looks like the ANZAC's should be based on the British, as well, so I've made a note of that.

Aren't you from Australia? ;)
It is, as they say, complicated :rolleyes:

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's not that they're selectable...
When I said "selectable nationalities" I meant the selections in the drop down menu when selecting Players in the VASL Templates program as shown in the image below. British, ANZAC, Canadian, and New Zealand are selectable nations in this drop down list, but Australia isn't for some reason.

Screenshot 2021-04-05 180449.png

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
British, ANZAC, Canadian, and New Zealand are selectable nations in this drop down list, but Australia isn't for some reason.
The Eritreans aren't in there, as well :) Are there any/many scenarios that have "Australians", as opposed to "ANZAC"? I've only put in the most common nationalities, if there's an obscure one that someone really wants in there, the list is extendable 🤷

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are as many scenarios on the Chronology of War Scenario List featuring New Zealand as the attacker or defender as there are ones featuring Australia as the attacker or defender. I don't care if Australia is selectable or not, I just pointed out what seemed like an error. Obviously it is not considered an error.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Obviously it is not considered an error.
Maybe :) The more less-used stuff you put in there, the harder it becomes to find the often-stuff used you usually want.

I started off putting in the main nationalities from the Nationality Capabilities chart, and there's a few more because of extensions (e.g. the Burmese and Thai are there probably because of Blood & Jungle). I may have wanted to set up a scenario at some point that had the Kiwis, and just threw them in, but never the Aussies :)

But the ANZAC's not having access to the British vehicles/ordnance definitely looks like it's wrong, so thanks for reporting that, I'll fix that up.

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the rulebook, there are point entries for some vehicles (example German Vehicles 9.1, 9.2, 9.3) and these vehicles can be selected in the "Add vehicle" window, but there is no placeholder in the chapter H directory structure to put the vehicle notes. How do you add the images in such a case? Do you just add an 9.1.png file? 9_1.png? Or some other method?

sushidog

Reaction score
First name
Grant
Country
llCanada
The Eritreans aren't in there, as well :) Are there any/many scenarios that have "Australians", as opposed to "ANZAC"? I've only put in the most common nationalities, if there's an obscure one that someone really wants in there, the list is extendable 🤷
Cool. I wondered why "Norwegian" wasn't there, but not surprised. What did trick me was I didn't find a generic label like "Allied Minors". If the Nationality you want isn't there, is there a "write in" option?

sushidog

Reaction score
First name
Grant
Country
llCanada
It's covered a few pages back in this thread. Search for nationalities.json.
Thanks, I did that when I set up the scenario. I just wondered if I'd missed a way to do it for a more generic option. Editing nationalities.json worked no problem. Only thing I didn't figure out was how to give it a symbol (like the red star or iron cross or rondel).

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The program doesn't include Ordnance Note D for the British Ordnance 1. OML 2-in. Mortars. It only includes Notes A, N, and P.

<html> <!-- vasl-templates:id british/ob_ordnance_ma_notes_2 -->​
<head>​
<meta charset="utf-8">​
<style>​
body {​
}​
p { margin-top: 5px ; margin-bottom: 0 ; }​
ul { margin: 0 ; padding: 0 0 0 10px ; }​
td { margin: 0 ; padding: 0 ; }​
td.c { text-align: center ; }​
td.l { text-align: left ; }​
td.r { text-align: right ; }​
sup { font-size: 75% ; }​
sub { vertical-align: sub ; font-size: 80% ; line-height: 0.5em ; }​
.exc { font-style: italic ; color: #404040 ; }​
.ma-note { margin: 2px 0 3px 0 ; text-align: justify ; }​
.ma-note .key { font-weight: bold ; }​
.ma-note p { margin-top: 2px ; }​
.ma-note table { margin-left: 10px ; }​
.ma-note li { margin-bottom: 2px ; }​
.ma-note .example { font-size: 95% ; font-style: italic ; color: #000080 ; }​
.ma-note p.errata { margin-top: 0 ; font-size: 95% ; font-style: italic ; color: #704040 ; }​
.ma-note span.errata { font-style: italic ; color: #704040 ; }​
.ma-note table { margin-left: 10px ; margin-top: -5px ; }​
.ma-note table th { padding: 2px 10px 2px 5px ; text-align: left ; background: #f0f0f0 ; }​
.ma-note table td { padding: 0 10px 0 5px ; }​
.extra-notes-caption { border: 1px solid #e0e0e0 ; background: #fcfcfc ; font-weight: bold ; padding: 2px 5px ; }​
.disabled { color: #808080 ; }​
.disabled .exc { color: #808080 ; }​
.slashed { text-decoration: line-through ; }​
</style>​
</head>​
<table style="​
width: 300px ;​
">​
<tr>​
<td colspan="2" style="​
background: #f6edda ;​
border-bottom: 1px solid #e5cea0 ;​
padding: 2px 5px ;​
font-size: 105% ; font-weight: bold ;​
">​
British Ordnance Notes​
<tr> <td style="padding:0 5px;">​
<div class="ma-note"> <span class='key'>A:</span> IR ammo becomes available in 1942, as signified by the superscript <sup>“2+”</sup> on the counter. </div>
<div class="ma-note"> <span class='key'>N:</span> This weapon was used in North Africa at some time from 6/40-5/43, within the limits of its own given Dates. </div>
<div class="ma-note"> <span class='key'>P:</span> This weapon was used in the PTO at some time from 12/41-8/45, within the limits of its own given Dates. </div>
</table>​
</html>​