New program to help set up VASL scenarios

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Update, looks like the config reads relative to the directory you are running it from.

So you could

1. include something to put you in the right directory in the script (such as cd ~)
  2. Use /home/<username>/ in the config file
3) Wait for "Ghost" to give you a better suggestion. :)

I chose #1 for now

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
Edit: for those doing the config, it seems to take your 'home' directory as a start, so any directories/files you put in the config, just start from there (i.e. /home/<username> is already in there, so say vasl-templates/champter-h would go into the config file)
Hard experience has shown me that you always want to configure stuff like this using absolute paths :) There's nothing in the code that bases relative paths off your home directory, so I suspect what's happened is that you've launched the program from your home directory, and so when the program tries to access files using a relative path, it starts from whatever its current working directory is, and the paths you've configured happen to work.

OTOH, if you want to use remote storage to replicate the installation on other computers, then you will almost certainly want to use relative paths, in which case you just need to remember to set the CWD correctly before running the program.

I think I needed to install a Quicktime Python file, but that might be my particular situation or simply a mistake by me working through this. (PyQt5 or similar)
Not sure what you're seeing to make you think this. PyQt is only needed by the desktop app, and while you can run this from source, it needs the PyQt runtime installed, and this is a PITA.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
~ works?

As in putting this in the config?

~/<some directory>

Looks like it doesn't. My script to start it up is thus:

#!/bin/sh -ex
#
# Execute this file to launch vasl-templates on linux

cd ~
MEGA/vasl-templates/.venv/bin/python ~/MEGA/vasl-templates/vasl_templates/webapp/run_server.py

Last edited:

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
Version v1.0 has been released here.

No big changes, just the warm fuzzy feeling you get when running a program who's version number doesn't start with a zero :)

The main changes are:
  • a Quick Start Guide has been added.
  • the "count remaining" template now includes helper information that lists how many PF/THH you get.