New Player Guide

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
viridomaros said:
i was thinking especially to this sentence

Attacks with a large fraction of units failing communication checks will take longer to resolve.

this is one more fact to take into account when planning your attacks
In all my years of playing, I have never once taken this into account for anything. If you have a large force converging on that ONE hex that you absolutely must have, how much time are you realistically going to spend looking at each potential participant to guess whether they are going to fail their comm checks and thus cause delays in the attack? I am sure some players probably take the time, but it is certainly beyond the scope of what most players will want to do.

I just find all nearby units I need, point them where I want them to go, and think nothing more of it. I almost never even consider cooperation between units when attacking. It just takes too much time, and hasn't affected my game play in the least so far as I can tell.

This guide I am putting together is more about the fundamentals right now...and later (if I have the energy) I can focus on some of these esoteric concepts. :smoke:

The important thing for new players is not to overthink things. Its a very simple game in which you move the units, you attack the units, you kill the units. :laugh:

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Siberian HEAT said:
In all my years of playing, I have never once taken this into account for anything. If you have a large force converging on that ONE hex that you absolutely must have, how much time are you realistically going to spend looking at each potential participant to guess whether they are going to fail their comm checks and thus cause delays in the attack? I am sure some players probably take the time, but it is certainly beyond the scope of what most players will want to do.

I just find all nearby units I need, point them where I want them to go, and think nothing more of it. I almost never even consider cooperation between units when attacking. It just takes too much time, and hasn't affected my game play in the least so far as I can tell.

This guide I am putting together is more about the fundamentals right now...and later (if I have the energy) I can focus on some of these esoteric concepts. :smoke:

The important thing for new players is not to overthink things. Its a very simple game in which you move the units, you attack the units, you kill the units. :laugh:
yes i was just saying this as a general fact not necessarly to be put into your guide, and i totally agree with you that if you have to look at each aspect of the game it just takes too much time even in very small scenario and the fun might go away :cry:
i posted in the wrong thread sorry :hail:

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
viridomaros said:
yes i was just saying this as a general fact not necessarly to be put into your guide, and i totally agree with you that if you have to look at each aspect of the game it just takes too much time even in very small scenario and the fun might go away :cry:
i posted in the wrong thread sorry :hail:
Don't sweat it. It is a good point to bring up. I was just trying to prevent information overload for the new cats on our ladder.

You need not be sorry! :hurray:

obergurgl

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Siberian HEAT said:
Don't sweat it. It is a good point to bring up. I was just trying to prevent information overload for the new cats on our ladder.

information overload is a serious problem for this new cat (probably kitten would be more apt at this point given the humiliating thrashing i just received in my most recent PBEM foray)