New Player Guide

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings all. I am working on an illustrated guide for new players, which shows how certain things work in TOAW. I started it about 2 years ago, and only now have I found some spare time to tackle it again. I'd like to hear some ideas on what you'd like to see there. Especially the new guys. What concepts need clarification?

Only a few items in there now, but growing!

HEAT's Field Notes

obergurgl

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
where to start?

the more i read here the more i realise i have to learn- but then that seems to be the beauty of the game.

one thing i personally need a lot of help with is time management- getting as many rounds out of each turn as possible is clearly critical .i've read a lot about it and i get it right sometimes but then i find including one unit in an attack somewhere suddenly uses all my time up...am i making sense..or just sounding dumb again? LOL

i'd love to have a really experienced player take me through how he sets about one entire turn- what order he tackles which tasks in- i know it would vary from situation to situation but i'm sure people out there have systematic ways of handling the task of putting the plans into action......obviously thats asking rather a lot, but a step by step guide to how a pro would launch his opening move or two in a smallish scenario would be invaluable for me anyway.

but then again thats asking a hell of a lot.

the advice i've already had in one week or so on this board has already advanced my understanding more than the past three months of blundering about against the PO , and will hopefully help my occasional and so far usually catastrophic forays into PBEM!!

obergurgl

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
forgot to add...

your guide to date is excellent. illustrations invaluable.

thanks

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
obergurgl said:
one thing i personally need a lot of help with is time management- getting as many rounds out of each turn as possible is clearly critical .
but then again thats asking a hell of a lot.
I will do this next. I know exactly which scenario I'm going to use for this. :devious:

Felix

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
The guide's lookin' good mate. Thanks for putting in the effort.

If you could, can you add to the bit you have on the use of artillery the best way to use 'range 1' arty as well. In the larger scenarios this will be handy.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Felix said:
The guide's lookin' good mate. Thanks for putting in the effort.

If you could, can you add to the bit you have on the use of artillery the best way to use 'range 1' arty as well. In the larger scenarios this will be handy.
Noted.

I have a draft of the rounds per turn segment up now as well. :)

Jscott

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very nice! I know this information will come in very handy. I like the illustrations to.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Golly, you could have turned some serious drubbings into slightly painful beatings if you would have had that up a year ago! Excellent work and I can't wait to see the finished product. I've got a buddy that I have been trying to get into playing and this should help his learning curve greatly.

Rev

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very nice work Siberian.... :cool: I like this and it is most usefull.

Rev

Raver

TOAW Ironman
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Rev said:
Very nice work Siberian.... :cool: I like this and it is most usefull.

Rev
Mr ER Chaser once game me some excellent advice about things like how to avoid being pushed around by automatic victories and things like that. I think I've lost it now, but maybe he would repeat it for us all?

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Good explanations. Maybe you could also add the usually forgotten limited attack with artillery support: no need to pay MP in an advance you may not need when a probe is enough.

bharris

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This looks great! Any chance it could be posted in PDF format, as well, even though it's not complete yet? Thanks for the efforts on behalf of us newbies.

Bloodstar

Reaction score
Country
llCroatia
Siberian HEAT said:
Greetings all. I am working on an illustrated guide for new players, which shows how certain things work in TOAW. I started it about 2 years ago, and only now have I found some spare time to tackle it again. I'd like to hear some ideas on what you'd like to see there. Especially the new guys. What concepts need clarification?

Only a few items in there now, but growing!

HEAT's Field Notes
Great stuff! Arrows are cool!
Maybe you could share your secret of a trade, in which program did you make those arrows - this could be good for AAR's. :D

Mario

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bloodstar said:
Great stuff! Arrows are cool!
Maybe you could share your secret of a trade, in which program did you make those arrows - this could be good for AAR's. :D

Mario
Arrows are done is a program called Paint Shop Pro. It's like a way-cheaper version of Adobe PHotoshop. Micrographx Picture Publisher is a similar proggy that does this.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
bharris said:
This looks great! Any chance it could be posted in PDF format, as well, even though it's not complete yet? Thanks for the efforts on behalf of us newbies.
I should be able to do that. Let me finish the meat and potatoes, then clean up the presentation (change black to white, and so forth).

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JMS said:
Good explanations. Maybe you could also add the usually forgotten limited attack with artillery support: no need to pay MP in an advance you may not need when a probe is enough.
Yes, good idea. I was thinking this was more along the lines of advanced game theory, but might as well load up on all the good stuff. :laugh:

Bloodstar

Reaction score
Country
llCroatia
Siberian HEAT said:
Arrows are done is a program called Paint Shop Pro. It's like a way-cheaper version of Adobe PHotoshop. Micrographx Picture Publisher is a similar proggy that does this.
Thanks. I'll try that out.

Mario