New player - Birmingham, AL

Wedge

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking for someone willing to be patient enough to walk me through ASL. I just ordered the SK1, rule book, and BV. Ive been watching a ton of YouTube intro/tutorial videos and trying to read what I can before I receive the game. I'm a teacher and my spring break will be the week of the 26th. I will have some free time then to absorb all this new information to really soak it in and enjoy the game. If interested in helping me out a little please let me know.

Best wishes,

Dave

sambruzs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cheers
Patrick Ireland helps all newcomers to ASL. Search for him here, there will be instructions on how to contact him

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you wanting to use VASL & Skype or are you looking for FtF?

Wedge

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Preferably face to face - I just don't know the level of interest here in AL.

I don't have Skype and would need to install vasl though.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You may have a harder time finding a game. Total time to install Skype and VASL (module, extensions and boards) is probably an hour.

sambruzs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cheers Wedge
I agree with clubby. Once you have installed SKYPE... If you need help with VASSAL and VASL. Help is just a click away... you need speakers at the very least to use SKYPE (or headphones) camera not necessary.

Once you are up and running with SKYPE / VASL ... entire world is open to look for opponents.

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I live up in Decatur, AL. Used to be a semi-grognard but stepped away from the game for a decade or so doing the family thing. I am just getting started back up with the ASL Starter Kits. Should I get a chance to get down to Birmingham I will drop you a line. Drop me a PM and we can exchange contact info if you are interested.

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking for someone willing to be patient enough to walk me through ASL. I just ordered the SK1, rule book, and BV. Ive been watching a ton of YouTube intro/tutorial videos and trying to read what I can before I receive the game. I'm a teacher and my spring break will be the week of the 26th. I will have some free time then to absorb all this new information to really soak it in and enjoy the game. If interested in helping me out a little please let me know.

Best wishes,

Dave
Hi Dave,

I'm returning to ASL after a long hiatus and live in Birmingham. Just PM me and I'd be happy to help!

Wedge

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sounds like we need to find a way to have a AL-ASL F2F mini tournament!

I have been super busy the past 2 months trying to get my house ready to sell - meeting with the realtor tomorrow. I havent had time for any ASL except for when I went to Houston on business late last month - played through a couple of scenarios solo. Hopefully things will calm down here next month after the house is on the market and I'll be able to get some down time.

Last edited:

Velocette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wedge,

That would be fun. We did a one day event at a local game store here in Huntsville about 3 years ago. Had six players come out. I got thrashed by Tater, but still had a great time and learned a lot. Once things get settled in for you, maybe we could do something down in B-ham.

Velo

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cheers Wedge
I agree with clubby. Once you have installed SKYPE... If you need help with VASSAL and VASL. Help is just a click away... you need speakers at the very least to use SKYPE (or headphones) camera not necessary.

Once you are up and running with SKYPE / VASL ... entire world is open to look for opponents.
Literally. There is a guy on here from Arizona that would melt like an ant under a magnifying glass if he tried to get out and play ftf. :) All kidding aside, it is exactly the game you learn for ftf on VASL and there are plenty of people who can help you set it up. Including me. If you would like to set it up, just IM me and I can set up a time. I am between jobs at the moment, so it wouldn't be tough on my end.

Wedge

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks so much for the offer. I will get back to playing once I get the house on the market and things calm down over here.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you guys do get an AL FTF thing set up please let me know. I would love to participate.

I have an all day mega scenario team play day schedule for Aug 5 with some guys in Lebanon, TN. We could setup something like that or just a round of one on one scenarios.

Barry Maynard

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am getting back into ASL after many decades. I used to play back in 1st edition. I also live in Huntsville, Alabama. I'd love to join with the other local people and get some games in.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Wedge,

That would be fun. We did a one day event at a local game store here in Huntsville about 3 years ago. Had six players come out. I got thrashed by Tater, but still had a great time and learned a lot. Once things get settled in for you, maybe we could do something down in B-ham.

Velo

Been on that receiving end once myself when I lived in Scottsboro.