New non-auto-update links for VASL

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
From Rodney Kinney:

An attempt to solve auto-update frustration:

There are new links on the VASL download page: http://www.vasl.org/download.htm

The new links point to specific versions of VASL (4.1, 5.0, and 5.1 are available) and do not automatically update when a new version of VASL comes out. The "click here to run the latest" link will continue to work the same as does now.

This will give people the option of running an older version of VASL if a new update introduces a bug. If a new update is a bug fix, e.g. 5.1.2 -> 5.1.3, then the 5.1 link will update to include the bug fix only after it's been tested sufficiently in the field. The 5.1 link will never update to 5.2.

Hope this will help.
rk

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Hi Reep,
I've no real objections to these multiple versions being available to 'the masses', it's really no different than folks having multiple VASL modfiles available to use from their VASSAL shortcut.
But when a user posts a moan/prob/suggestion, and doesn't name the v# he's coming from, confusion (ntm bad advice) could result. I find it tough enough keeping up-to-speed w/ the latest released version and/or beta & getting the errata & suggestions squared away w/ the upcoming development version.
But w/ more than one version at a time being 'live', it'll be more difficult to understand & help solve user-probs.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Try uninstalling your Java and re-installing it. Sounds like the problem is more in your JWS than VASL. Bad cache folder or something, perhaps. If you flush out Web Start, you'll probably be able to get VASL to come across normally. Do a little googling and find where Web Start is storing all its files as appropriate to your operating system and purge accordingly if an uninstall doesn't wipe it out.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
countermanCX said:
Hi Reep,
I've no real objections to these multiple versions being available to 'the masses', it's really no different than folks having multiple VASL modfiles available to use from their VASSAL shortcut.
But when a user posts a moan/prob/suggestion, and doesn't name the v# he's coming from, confusion (ntm bad advice) could result. I find it tough enough keeping up-to-speed w/ the latest released version and/or beta & getting the errata & suggestions squared away w/ the upcoming development version.
But w/ more than one version at a time being 'live', it'll be more difficult to understand & help solve user-probs.
I totally agree,
why don't give ONLY the latest safe and working version for common use and give the "beta version" to improvement only on request? IMO VASL now is near the perfection: further improvements, always possible, are not so urgent. New sub-versions could be delayed until they are bug-fixed .
Just my opinion from the point of view of a VASL user a little confused from many versions and exstensions...

Tankleader

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I for one am glad for this fix. I used an autoupdate that was bad, and now no matter how much I uninstall or reinstall I have to run vasl through the vassal engine. Basically since that one bad autoupdate on my laptop auto updates have refused to function.

Spoke too soon, no matter which link I hit it launches the Java program but never makes it past the Java Loading menu. Now if I launch the beta or earlier version that I've got installed it will run but not auto-update. I can however download the module and run it from the vassal engine. Is there a way that I can completely uninstall VASL and VASSAL and start from scratch?

Help needed.

Tanks
Andy

Last edited:

Neuralman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tankleader said:
Spoke too soon, no matter which link I hit it launches the Java program but never makes it past the Java Loading menu. Now if I launch the beta or earlier version that I've got installed it will run but not auto-update. I can however download the module and run it from the vassal engine. Is there a way that I can completely uninstall VASL and VASSAL and start from scratch?

Tanks
Andy
There certainly is. The Java JRE digs its roots into the Windows Registry, so you'll have to do whatever you have to do to get rid of it there. Hopefully, just Control Panel | Uninstall. I wouldn't do this unless the following fails to work for you. There's probably nothing wrong with your Java install.

VASSAL/VASL, on the other hand, simply writes itself into a directory and you can wipe out that directory and everything under it quite easily in any OS.

Having done all this, (reinstall the latest Java JRE, and) the easiest way to get VASL going again *is* through the link on the vasl.org page.... the "just click here" one. It will download whatever part of VASSAL and VASL you'll need to run the VASL program. As for the boards, etc., (uh, prolly shoulda said this first ...) make a copy of them somewhere 'safe' and then move them back into the appropriate folder(s) after re-downloading VASL. If you do inadvertantly wipe all that out, you can go back to vasl.org and get'em again or you can go here and download all the maps in one file: www.maryandmike.net/vasldump

Remember to put the extensions into a folder under \VASL and then remember where that is cuz you'll have to tell VASL where they are. The boards *have to* go in \VASL\boards (uhm, pretty sure about this -- never seen'em anywhere else.....) and overlays must go under \boards\overlays. I don't think it matters where you put any scenario setups.

I think that's all. Holler back if you get stuck on something.

I believe I was the mouthy one who raised the stink of the auto-updater. I was rather merciless about it, too. So the least I can do is help out ... :halo:

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Neuralman said:
I believe I was the mouthy one who raised the stink of the auto-updater. I was rather merciless about it, too. So the least I can do is help out ... :halo:
Cheers mate!