New Mount System!

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also in the Siege of Mirkwood are new mount "usage."

Basics:
1. No need to dismount when interacting with NPC's.
2. You can ride "thru" door's but will be dismounted if you can't normally ride inside.
3. Your horse gets 3 random emotes.
4. You get to name your horse.
5. You can emote while mounted (limited)
AND....

6. You get your first mount at level 20 NOT level 35. It will be a "slow" mount, slower than the normal mount you get at level 35.

http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/487-developer-diary-mounts-20

I mentioned long ago that we'd be getting Mounted Combat when we hit Rohan- from the above link:

Quote: Before you ask if you can lop off orc heads from atop your favorite ride, remember that was never a goal of this update. File this one under “Quality of Life” improvements." End Quote.

Comments:
1. Interacting with NPC's without dismounting from your mount - you'd find this a bit rude if done to you constantly in real life.
2. I never saw this as a huge problem- in fact it made sense to have to dismount BEFORE ridding into a door- just like in REAL life.
3. Nice 3 tricks!
4. I like that we finally get to do this however, no one else can see their name so - whats the point?
5. Finally, emoting while mounted a winner here.
6. A mount now at 20: walking is soooo yesterday, why not just hand them out at 1st level..

They just keep simplifying the challenges in LotRO & making this game easier & easier.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
My reactions
1. No need to dismount when interacting with NPC's.
This seems ok, but goes back to the whole "laziness" thing. It also is compressing time even more. It took the hobbits 2 or 3 days to cross the Barrow Downs in the book and we can run across it in 12 seconds if we want to. There is so little sense of sweeping scale - which is ok, it's a game. I would not want to put myself on "walk" and crawl through Middle Earth. But stopping to take care of different tasks was not a hardship. That included getting off the horse.

Does this mean we'll soon be mining ore from horseback, too? :nuts:

2. You can ride "thru" door's but will be dismounted if you can't normally ride inside.
Meh. More laziness.

3. Your horse gets 3 random emotes.
Could be fun. Always good to have "more commands" like I say in the CM forums.

4. You get to name your horse.
This, I like.

5. You can emote while mounted (limited)
Nothing more impressive than a snappy salute.

6. You get your first mount at level 20 NOT level 35. It will be a "slow" mount, slower than the normal mount you get at level 35.
Gotta agree, what's the point. One of the things that kept me going in the middle levels was the eye firmly fixed on the prize of that horse at level 35. It really felt like I had accomplished something. Now others get it handed to them in practically half the time. I feel bad for them, since they won't feel quite as much 'accomplishment', if that is the word.