New Mod for Napoleon's Russian Campaign

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
In the aftermath of my Eckmuhl, Wagram, and Waterloo mods, I've finally gotten around to finishing my Napoleon's Russian Campaign mod.

So what's in this mod?

First, it uses a slightly modified version of Ezjax's 3D units and terrain. The difference between my version of Ezjax and his original version is that I've made lower terrain elevations darker than the higher ones. The units and bases are unchanged, but there's a blood/no blood option for casualties in case you don't want dead bodies cluttering up the battlefield (blood is the default option).

The default 2D terrain is based on the summer terrain in my Leipzig mod, which is in turn derived from my Panzer Campaign mods. The 2D unit symbols are essentially the same as those used in the original version of my Eckmuhl mod, though there have been a few improvements along the way (check out the victory flags). The idea was to make the unit counters look like the symbols that you would see on a map illustrating one of the campaigns.

The mod uses the same unitbox conventions as my Leipzig and 1814 mods, but the images in the unitbox are Volcano Man's (with a few slight modifications) mounted on flags that were in use in 1812.

Here are a few screenshots of what the current state of the Napoleon's Russian Campaign mod looks like:

These are screenshots of the summer textures.

Because of the way that the game phases in its representations of fall and winter weather in 2D, to get the visual effects to look right in the 2D terrain I've come up with a sub-mod called the Retreat from Moscow mod. The regular mod uses the summer map effects, or everything up to and including September (i.e. the battle of Borodino and the hypothetical battle at Moscow, if it happens).

Everything after that, in other words, anything associated with the retreat, is covered by the Retreat from Moscow mod. Here are some screenshots of the retreat from Moscow, showing the progressively advancing season. First you'll see autumn foliage, then you get light snow, and you finally end up with white Hell.

The 3D terrain representations don't distinguish between summer, early, and late fall (and I didn't feel like repainting Ezjax's trees).

The distinctions in the 2D terrain are handled by a parallel install. Before anyone panics at the sound of that, it's much simpler than it sounds: all you have to do is make a copy of an already installed version of the game, and I've provided separate desktop icons along with instructions on how to use them so you can tell the two parts of the game apart.

The mod can be downloaded by clicking on this link here:

https://www.box.com/s/d0d3d0a21e49cd9420f2

I'd like to extend a big thank you to the Big Red One for letting me store my Napoleonic mods on his account.

There are three readme files attached to this mod which (I hope) explain everything you need to know to install them. Even though installing these mods is mindlessly simple, I can't urge you to read the readme files strongly enough, even if you've done this kind of thing many times before.

The mod, by the way, is installed manually. But it's really easy to do because the structure of the mod folders exactly mimics the structure of the game folders inside your HPS Simulations folder. So once you've opened the mod and found the Napoleon's Russian Campaign folder, all you have to do is copy the mod's Napoleon's Russian Campaign folder into your HPS Simulations folder.

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
My Napoleon's Russian campaign mods have been updated to version 2.1.

(And yes, that's not a typo because I've set my mod up as two mods, one for the advance to Moscow, and one for the retreat.)

There are no new screenshots, but the update includes the features that have gone into the updates of my other Napoleonic mods. These include but are not limited to a cleaning up of the way terrain gets greyed out when the line of sight button is pushed. It's not a big deal, it was a pain to fix, but it's much cleaner looking and has a more finished feel.

What you're more likely to notice, besides a bunch of corrections to the Saxons and Italian unit images, is that Russian cavalry and Cossacks now have distinctive flags.

As usual you can get the mod here:

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Here is an abbreviated AAR of the Shevardino Redoubt scenario using the latest version of my Napoleon's Russian Campaign mod:

The selection screen

The optional rules being used

The main objective

Available forces: Compans' 5th Division

Available forces: Morand's 1rst Division

Available forces: Nansouty's I Reserve Cavalry Corps

Available forces: Montbrun's II Reserve Cavalry Corps

Available forces: Latour-Maubourg's IV Reserve Cavalry Corps

Compans sends out skirmishers and begins to move towards the redoubt

Morand sends Dalton to probe from the north

Compans advances on the redoubt under artillery fire

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Morand draws up his division in three echelons and wheels south, while Nansouty begins to cross the Kalotschka

The Russian commander Sievers launches dragoons and cuirassiers against Compans' advancing troops. The horsemen seem to materialize out of nowhere and the survivors scatter to the woods

In the north a brigade of light infantry pulls back before Morand's advance

Guyardet forms what men he can into squares while Duppelin advances on the north flank of the redoubt behind a screen of skirmishers

Zayonchek's 16th Division has begun to arrive to the south of Shevardino

Morand has taken the village of Alexinki and continues his advance on Shevardino behind a screen of Dalton's light troops

While the cavalry attacks continue, the Russians launch lines of infantry against Duppelin's skirmish line, which routes to the rear

Compans orders Guyardet and Teste to form square and hold in the face of repeated cavalry assaults, but Duppelin continues to attack the advancing lines of Russian infantry

And that's all she wrote. Hopefully Lannes will come along and start a proper AAR thread on this.

In the meantime, the NRC mod is up to version 3.0 because the leader portraits are in color (and most of them are historically accurate).

The mod can be downloaded by clicking on this link here:

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really like the leader picture frame graphic. Mod looks nice, Philippe, and the "Retreat from Moscow" mod is a nice effort. Maybe someday someone will modify the 3D trees.

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The Napoleon's Russian Campaign mod has now been updated to version 3.4.

The French Imperial Guard is now using the flag that it was still using in 1812.

But the big change is that the artillery symbols have been completely overhauled, and are now using the different national paint schemes.

The mod can be downloaded here:

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The Napoleon's Russian Campaign mod has now been updated to version 3.5.

There have been improvements to the music in both parts of the mod. And there have been changes to the 3D terrain and incidental art in the Retreat from Moscow part of the mod. The trees are now in fall colors or are covered with snow, and you won't find any trees with summer tree foliage lurking around the buildings.

The mod can be downloaded here:

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I've just uploaded version 4.3 of my Napoleon's Russian Campaign mod.

The mod is now built around the latest official patch (v. 1.08).

Most of the instances of two nationalities using the same image and flag in the unitboxes have been removed by adding a several unit images to the unit bmp and rearranging which images get invoked by which nationalities in the oob files.

I had originally planned on making a few quick fixes to the Saxons in the Gorodetchna scenarios, but when I took a closer look I kept finding more and more problems that I had never been willing to address because of my own personal rule of not making changes to the oob files. Since I don't think there will be any new oob files any time soon after this latest official patch, I felt I had to resolve the worst unit nationality conflicts. So now when you click on a unit from Baden, you will see a unit from Baden in the unitbox, even if the flag on the 3D unit isn't always right.

I'm not completely satisfied with the way the 3D units are working, so that may get revisited at some point. In the meantime the flags on the 3D units are much less discordant, and the problems are (I hope) not all that apparent. Reworking the unit images and flags of the 3D images to track what happens in the unitbox more closely will happen eventually, but it's not a task to be undertaken lightly.

The newest version of my mod (4.3) can be downloaded from the first of the three links in the NRC section of the complete list of links thread here:

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?111328-A-complete-list-of-the-links-to-Philippe-s-Napoleonic-mods

The second link is to a slightly older version that does not modify the oob's in any way, and the third link is to an older version that uses different terrain.