New Mod for Campaign Bautzen

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Version 1.0 of the Bautzen mod is finally ready for download.

The mod was trickier to produce than I had originally thought, largely because working on it kept turning up glitches in the Leipzig and 1814 mods.

Like my Leipzig mod, the Bautzen mod is a double mod, but for different reasons. The Leipzig mod used a parallel install to distinguish between the different look of summer and autumn foliage. The Bautzen mod uses a parrallel install to overcome a gap in the programming. The JTS version of Bautzen uses the French army as a shell for the Swedish units, which can have some rather peculiar and unfortunate side-effects, like Swedish units appearing against a French Flag background. While I hope for the sake of those using the plain vanilla version that the engine is changed to allow Swedish units to appear in their proper setting, if you are using one of my mods the issue is moot. The one caveat is that the Russo-Swedish war won't work too well in the Bautzen portion of the mod, and the battles of Lutzen and Bautzen will look really weird in the Russo-Swedish War portion. ( If someone is really comfortable moving around inside the files of the game, I might go so far as to suggest removing the Russo-Swedish War scenarios from the Bautzen portion, and the 1813 scenarios from the Russo-Swedish War portion.

Here is what the two different mods look like if you use the parallel install. The first four screenshots are from Lutzen and Bautzen.

And here is what the Russo-Swedish War looks like if you use the parallel instal:

Parallel installs, by the way, are nothing more than installing the game once, copying and pasting the game to the same folder, and then renaming the copy. I've included desktop icons (and instructions on how to get them to work) so that you can tell the two modded versions of the game apart.

The Bautzen mod can be downloaded here:

https://www.box.com/s/fp4w0gxpogameuvj4q7c

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
One of the features of Campaign Bautzen is that dragoons can dismount.

Now apart from a few rare situations it may not be the smartest thing to do. The mechanic itself probably has a few small glitches that may need to be ironed out. But for those rare moments when you just can't stand leaving your dragoons on horseback, I've adjusted the visuals of the Bautzen mod to reflect what is happening in actuality.

Here are some before and after shots to show what it looks like when a dragoon dismounts in the Bautzen mod.

The dismounting function will be retro-fitted onto Campaigns Leipzig and 1814 in future patches. In anticipation of that eventually happening I've made the necessary adjustments to the Leipzig and 1814 mods.

The Bautzen mod (along with the others) is included in the complete list of links to my Napoleonic mods:

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?111328-A-complete-list-of-the-links-to-Philippe-s-Napoleonic-mods

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Dragoon type was assigned to dragoons so that they would be treated as Medium Cavalry. It was never intended for them to use it as a dismounting feature. The reason is if you give them a Carbine weapon then they can fire while mounted which adds in more casualties (to a system that is filled with too many). So play the scenarios and agree NOT to dismount. The dragoons now are no longer Heavy nor Light cavalry but somewhere in between.

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think that your comment in another thread http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?111120-Note-on-Cavalry-Stacking is a good deal more insightful and helpful.
The Dragoon type was assigned to dragoons so that they would be treated as Medium Cavalry. It was never intended for them to use it as a dismounting feature. The reason is if you give them a Carbine weapon then they can fire while mounted which adds in more casualties (to a system that is filled with too many). So play the scenarios and agree NOT to dismount. The dragoons now are no longer Heavy nor Light cavalry but somewhere in between.

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let me know if there is something you do not understand about the Dragoon type as I used it (and hope it will be used) and I will try and amplify my comments. The main thing is that I really do not want the series to become a series of pistol duels between cavalry. And cavalry rarely dismounted during the wars anyway.

I suppose the one saving feature is that dismounted cavalry cannot form square. But their presence on wooded roads would be a pain in the neck. Cavalry rarely fought well when dismounted. D'Artagnon and his musketeers being the rare example of a brave defense while on foot! :D

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
'Preciate the offer. I think I've got a fair understanding of the use of Dragoons. Still, as you point out in the other thread, even Napoleon learned that lesson by experimenting.....and seeing the experiment fail.
Dismounted cavalry didn't become useful until the advent of breech loading carbines, nearly 50 years later.

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The Campaign Bautzen mod has been updated to version 2.0.

The update brings the mod in line with the latest patch and includes some of the 'new' terrain featured in the Waterloo, Leipzig, and 1812 mods.

It also includes what will undoubtedly be the first of many attempts to improve the appearance of the 3D ships, a task which has proven much more difficult than I had anticipated, and which will require more research.

The latest version of the mod can be downloaded from here:

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?111328-A-complete-list-of-the-links-to-Philippe-s-Napoleonic-mods

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The Bautzen mod (which includes the separate mod for Russo-Swedish War) has been updated to version 2.3.

The latest update harmonizes the mod with the latest official patch.

If you had been using the older versions of the mod with the new official patch the only difference would have been that the new terrain contour features wouldn't appear. I don't happen to agree with the way the contour features were portrayed in the official patch (there shouldn't be terrain shadows in a 2D map), so my version of the contour lines is 52% different from the official version.

The Bautzen mod can be downloaded from the appropriate section here:

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Too many moving parts!

I've just discovered a glitch in the 3D flags in the Russo-Swedish War mod which was very easy to correct.

So the Bautzen mod has now been upgraded to version 2.4.

The point of the Russo-Swedish War mod is that the game engine makes different nationalities show up in the wrong colors, and the mod corrects that. But to make it work you have to make a parallel copy of the modded Bautzen game and install the Russo-Swedish War mod on top of that.

I'm not expecting very many people to ever do this. Those that do are probably going to be Finnish or of Finnish ancestry, since this mod celebrates the birth of Finnish national consciousness (which is why this particular mod is introduced by a very famous piece of Finnish music).