New MMP Web Site

drchilds

#1 ASL Hype Man
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited States
When you register and look at pre-order history does it only show present pre-orders or also old ones (games that reached pre-order, were printed and shipped)? I registered and looked and saw nothing. If I recall correctly on the old sight it had my full pre-order history going back to the 1st MMP item I ever pre-ordered (and which was subsequently printed...so was no longer really a pre-order). I have nothing on pre-order presently...just want to make sure I did everything properly.
Perhaps we can sticky this.

The new website does things thusly:

First and foremost, not one single pre-order has been lost between old system and new. There have been a few instances where a customer indicated that they had ordered something in the old system, and was not present in the old system's database. Most were solved by tweaking the postal/zip code or name, but one or two others were just not there. The latter I cannot explain, as I was not responsible for that system, and not privy to its machinations. If you truly think you had a pre-order in the old system, and cannot import it, please notify the good folks at problems@multimanpublishing.com. They have a copy of the old pre-order system's database, and can search on additional fields than those presented. Please also note that the fields presented for you to search on are identical to those in the old system: the name on your credit card, and your zip code. If you are not finding pre-orders, please take a few moments and try your zip code with the +4 extension and without. Please also try to recall which names may have been used on the credit cards, if you used your mom's, your roommate's, your *ahem* partner's etc.

MMP has explained why this is necessary, but I'll repeat it here. The old system did not have customer accounts. Whenever you entered an order, you re-entered your name and address, etc. This may have been convenient at the time, but it did not allow us to tie any order to a specific person. If you recall, back at the end of last year, MMP wanted to ship two ASL pre-order products together (DB3 and J8, IIRC). Due to the fact that there were no customer accounts, and the time between these products going on pre-order and shipping, this was nearly impossible to automate with any acceptable rate of error. Trust me, I tried. This led to the current situation with pre-orders. We discussed several approaches, but frankly there was no good solution; the best was to simply have customers look up their pre-orders as they did in the old system, and verify what was theirs.

To reiterate: we still have the old database. Really. We do. Honest! If you ordered something in the old system, and have not created an account in the new system and imported your pre-order, you will still receive your pre-order. If you want to cancel your pre-order, that will make us sad, but you have two options: contact problems@multimanpublishing.com or call the office and tell them so; or create your account, import your pre-orders, and cancel them yourselves. Beauty of the new system right there, eh? (Shout-out to the Canadians)

To address John's specific question: The new system now keeps all orders in one database (the old system was stored in two un-related databases) so your complete order history from this point forward will be available under the "Cart & Account" menu item, and the "Order History" link on the page therein. This is the same place where you import pre-orders. I hope to soon have the products in each order grouped under each order header on this screen, but haven't gotten to that just yet. We did not see any reason to import old pre-orders that have already shipped, since we have that data for warehousing and reporting purposes, and asking customers to import them would only cause (more) confusion. King Phillip's War was an accident as I included that in the importable list by mistake. It will make no difference if you import that or not as processing occurred before the new website was launched.

Okay... international shipping charges: this has been covered quite a bit on ConsimWorld, but the simple truth is that the new site charges actual shipping rates based on a lookup from the USPS or United Parcel Service. Seriously, you can check on it yourself on their websites. The shipping charges are based on weight (not price or number of items) and passed into the USPS or UPS online rate calculator. Right now, that means that some shipping charges are higher. Hopefully in the next week or so, we'll have an update that will ship anything less than 4lbs internationally via USPS International First Class. This has some down-sides, but should quell the uproar regarding high international shipping charges.

What else... security? Trust me, it's a lot better than the old site. No credit card information ever leaves the server either complete (last 4 digits only) or non-encrypted. The card information is encrypted in the database itself, so even if that's acquired somehow you'd need the source code and config, which are not accessible from that box. And if you want me to prove it all, I'll happily post my personal credit card info as it appears encrypted in the database here in this thread. I'm not going to post what method I'm using, but it's a standard and trusted encryption algorithm.

Hopefully that covers it all. And if the Two Half-Squad dudes want to discuss beer, homebrewing, and website development for wargame companies, they can PM me here. :)

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
There is a 2nd edition now, I don't think anyone uses 1st edition at all anymore so no support that I am aware of.

morgan kane

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Well my problem is that I have 3 rulebooks, but one of them is the 1:ed, which I borrow to newcombers so that they get an idea what it is all about, thats why I ask.

Morgan

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is a 2nd edition now, I don't think anyone uses 1st edition at all anymore so no support that I am aware of.
I still use my original 1985 version of the rulebook-its held together with tape. I have an unused, mint condition 1st edition rulebook in storage. I've added all the rules inserts that come with the various modules. What is the point of the 2nd edition rulebook? I mean, I've never had it come up.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I have thought that there are changes from 1st to 2nd edition, namely in A, B and some in C and D. I think Bocage, walls & hedges, some building rules come to mind. I still have my 1st edition but we (and I) only use (reference) the 2nd edition. I guess the biggest point is the larger font and doing away with the countless errata and Q&A sheets which you need to use/reference with the 1st edition.

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have thought that there are changes from 1st to 2nd edition, namely in A, B and some in C and D. I think Bocage, walls & hedges, some building rules come to mind. I still have my 1st edition but we (and I) only use (reference) the 2nd edition. I guess the biggest point is the larger font and doing away with the countless errata and Q&A sheets which you need to use/reference with the 1st edition.
I wasn't aware that 2nd edition had larger font. That alone may be the thing that causes me to make the switch. Most of the people I play against have the 2nd edition, so I suppose I never really needed it. Maybe it is time to upgrade.....

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
The larger font is a welcome for me at least and even the new charts have the larger font.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No new activities on the MMP website since mid March 2012.

Many of the non-ASL games that were talked about on the MMP Home page are still listed on the pre-order page, even though many should have been out the door by now, or is the back log of ASL items to ship THAT big?

With what has happened in recents weeks to another game company, I hope MMP continues to be here for us ASL "krak addicts".....

dachda

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No new activities on the MMP website since mid March 2012.

Many of the non-ASL games that were talked about on the MMP Home page are still listed on the pre-order page, even though many should have been out the door by now, or is the back log of ASL items to ship THAT big?

With what has happened in recents weeks to another game company, I hope MMP continues to be here for us ASL "krak addicts".....
Jeesh, this worry that 38 studios financial troubles has anything to do with MMP has just gotta go! Chas updated his MMP blog on May 2nd. He, Perry and Brian have all been making comments over on Comsimworld. Mostly they keep having to repeat, that 38 studios has NOTHING to do with MMP, financially. Trouble with one has no effect on the other. Give it up guys. There's real stuff out there to worry about.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jeesh, this worry that 38 studios financial troubles has anything to do with MMP has just gotta go! Chas updated his MMP blog on May 2nd. He, Perry and Brian have all been making comments over on Comsimworld. Mostly they keep having to repeat, that 38 studios has NOTHING to do with MMP, financially. Trouble with one has no effect on the other. Give it up guys. There's real stuff out there to worry about.
One real thing to worry about is.....

NO new ASL stuff on the Preorder page....

Here it is the end of MAY 2012 and nothing is even been changed on the Preorder page since the middle of March 2012.

There are many non-ASL games that have hit the P# for quite some time, but not one of them has been placed to the "Products" tab as of today.

There may be some concern that MMP might have some production issues (monetary backing for printing purposes).

dachda

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On Comsimworld, Brian has given updates on how the non-ASL stuff is moving thru the preorder and shipping process. I've been helping proofread for Overlay Pack, Rising Sun, and for the ASLSK hasl, so that stuff is coming (some of which was passed out in the last week or so). I believe on CSW it was said that Rising Sun should hit preorder within two months. Remember their new operating procedure for ASL product is to NOT place it on the preorder list until it is printer ready. They don't want ASL stuff lingering like it used to and have to suffer the constant complaints that it never gets done.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On Comsimworld, Brian has given updates on how the non-ASL stuff is moving thru the preorder and shipping process.
Yes, but the better place for that kind of update is on MMP's own website. I'm pretty sure the majority of MMP customers rarely, if ever, visit CSW.

dachda

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I totally agrre with your statement.

The last message about updates on the MMP website was March 19th.

I agree, they do need to use their website more for such info. But my comments are more geared toward the worry that something is wrong or will be wrong at MMP 'cause of the 38 Studios situation.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, having dug through CSW, I found that the components for Angola and KoH have been received and are apparently being assembled now with expectation of beginning to ship to pre-orders in the next week or so. That seems like the kind of thing that should really be mentioned on the MMP website itself so that people would know to update their creditcard/shipping information (as it turned out I had to -- the card I had originally used expired late last year) to avoid delays in shipping and, for MMP, to get money in the door.

bis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What happened to the communications guy?
So far nothing.