New MMP magazine

Steven Linton

Maniac with keyboard
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
So for the uninformed - this in effect replaces the special editions of Operations, right?

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For the first time I'm going to pass. I'm sure the magazine has been well done and the content is worth the money, but I just can't justify the $24 at the moment. Not for two scenarios I will probably never get to play, overlays I already own, and an article on a HASL that I've yet to play. For me as part of a design house/publisher I just have too much of my own work going on to spend the cash on this. Just no way to be a completist any more. TGoo many other demands on my cash as I get older.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Savage Streets on first blush looks to be an Area/Impulse crossover of Valour of the Guards(even using the same map artwork)...how can you not get a donger over that?

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah..I'm rethinking...I just saw pictures in another forum...Nice to see the map being reused in this manner...very cool...

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Savage Streets on first blush looks to be an Area/Impulse crossover of Valour of the Guards(even using the same map artwork)...how can you not get a donger over that?
it's not ASL thats why......

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah..I'm rethinking...I just saw pictures in another forum...Nice to see the map being reused in this manner...very cool...
I had the exact opposite reaction. When I buy a game, I don't want retread artwork, I want original artwork.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is it that much of a stretch to just have a few scenarios? The General of old had only a few at best. I must admit I saw limited benefit in some of the other articles, but while younger, I tended to play some of the other things.

IIRC there was a nice 'walkthrough' article on Raid on St. Nazaire that got me playing that game.

$24 is steep for two scenarios, but I think I will get it and hope for some stuff to interest me and maybe my son.

$0.02

Victor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like another job for e-bay. 12 bucks/scenario is a no go. Patience got me the op spec ed issue with Singling for 6 bucks.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like another job for e-bay. 12 bucks/scenario is a no go. Patience got me the op spec ed issue with Singling for 6 bucks.
Agree...or try to find a way to connect with people who buy the mag for the other stuff and offer to buy the ASL scenarios from them. When I purchased the last Ops Special Edition, I was contacted by a couple of other gamers from Gamesquad that wanted to purchase the non-ASL counters (Warriors of God?). Might be worth checking out.

I am passing on this as well, the first MMP ASL item that I am not purchasing...my therapist says that I will survive this horrible experience. :nuts::clown:

Semper Fi!
Scott

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is it that much of a stretch to just have a few scenarios? The General of old had only a few at best. I must admit I saw limited benefit in some of the other articles, but while younger, I tended to play some of the other things.
It's true that the General would only have a few scenarios (rarely more than two), but (a) I believe it was at a rather lower price point, even allowing for inflation (I'm pretty sure it was like $6 an issue even at the end), and (b) I was regularly playing quite a few other AHGC games, so there would usually be at least one or two other relevant articles, whereas I have very few MMP games.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
There are photos up on boardgamegeek.

That looks really terrible, in addition to being lazy. The artwork for ASL was done with a hexgrid in mind. They've taken the hex grid out, and put an area movement grid overtop. That's fine, but the terrain in the area grid is no longer "historical", it's still laid out in hex patterns and looks, frankly, goofy, particularly the cookie-cutter rubble piles - but also the buidings that have been warped to fit into the hex grid.

Far better would have been to redraw it from the aerial photographs.

Terrible idea and an obvious cost-cutting measure.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Just received mine today - I was immediately struck by the similarity beteen Savage Streets and the free giveway "Rattenkrieg" which MMP has been tossing in free - on a postcard - for many months with all mail delivery orders. Then I read the rules for SS and of course this was purposeful. The cynical view is that this game is a postcard giveway with a recycled map and more chrome. The variation between Level 0 and Level 1 terrain makes perfect sense in ASL but looks terrible for the purposes of this game - and of course, serves no purpose. Rattenkrieg's map is much nicer, and it is a free giveaway.

The magazine itself is showing definite signs of improvement in terms of quality; aside from a couple of pixelated lo-res pictures, the layout and graphical elements are very nice, as are fonts, etc. which were an issue in Operations in the past. In fact, I would say they have come a long way in terms of presentation and have done a very professional looking layout. I especially like the use of colour throughout. It's a good mix of articles, and the new format looks like a winner. I hope it's successful for MMP. It proves the military axiom of "reinforce success". Operations wasn't working, but the SE (with games included) were, so they stopped the former, and continued the latter.

Only other suggestion would be to make the CD-ROM of Operations available via the website, or even individual issues available via download through Amazon or something similar.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Well got my copy today, all I wanted from it was the 4 scenarios , the SK article was ok , the Singling one, meh, not that interested in it. The stalingrad game , well i might just give that a go! but would of rather seen the ASL stuff in the Journal! When are MMP going to put The gamers stuff into the Journal making them buy a magazine for only the meagre bits of the gamers stuff?????, Maybe it is just me but thats my own opinion.
Michael, the similarity in the Stalingrad game and Rattenkrieg is explained in the write up for the game, secondly the CD rom disc is not available via MMP and is explained why on the inside cover page at the bottom

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Michael, the similarity in the Stalingrad game and Rattenkrieg is explained in the write up for the game, secondly the CD rom disc is not available via MMP and is explained why on the inside cover page at the bottom
Yes, definitely read both of those. It seems like it could be a fun little game, and the concept is good. Those goofy hedges and walls just make it clear they recycled the artwork to make a quick buck, which is too bad - I've been a vocal fan of the special editions of Operations since they came out. The entire "hook" behind this enhanced style of magazine is - the games. It just seems odd to go half-way with them in this manner. But that's just one opinion. I'm sure they will do better in future. Of course, the other game that shipped features a map with completely blank hexes...

I understand what Mr. Monnin said about the CD-ROM, but that's my point - instead of doing it as a personal project via CD, it would be interesting to see it as a digital download instead; certainly more convenient for the consumer. And for those that have the majority of print copies already, if you could pick and choose digital copies at a dollar a piece, would be attractive. That's - for good or bad - the way the publishing market is going now.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
the other map that shipped with blank hexes_ mmm lets see its an ancients game in the desert on a scale that really needs no real type of terrain except open ground.....
I also agree about the CD-rom allowing people to pick and choose which copies , but it is simpler for to put them all on one disc rather than having x orders with multiple X copies with no two peopl wanting all the same ones hence time saving