New MMP magazine

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
$24 for 2 ASL scenarios and an article on Singling.

I hate that I'll buy this.

S
I won't, not right now and it has nothing to do with money issues. I have far to many scenario's I wont play without adding two more. If this mag gets almost no ASL love then maybe they will drop the ASL from it and put the two scenario's and articles into future Journals. I have no issue with SK scenario's in Opps mags as it fits (many SK players play lots of other games so value for money. Whilst I want to play other boardgames time is not really helpful so I just don't get round to it. Hence it's so a waste to have to buy the rest for what will go unread. Lots better ASL for £24.

Ian

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hate to say this, but for the first time, I think that I am going to have to pass on this...there has been too much ASL lately. The Cholm HASL took all the ASL money I had available, and Crucible of Steel is coming around ASLOK and will be around $100 (estimated), and all of the ASLOK releases are just two months away which will be around $75+. With the massive increases in tuition, I just don't have the money to spend on a magazine that only has ASL crumbs in it...two ASL and two SK scenarios just doesn't get my purchase any more when there is far too much good ASL available from TPP's. (I know there are ASL articles in it, but I can't play an article.) I only play ASL, so while it is entertaining to read about other games, they are not a value to me. I purchased the Special Editions previously, but have not so much as touched the games that came in them.

I can't believe that I am saying this, but there is too much ASL on the market right now. With very limited funds and too many products on the market, I am forced to be selective in where I spend my few ASL dollars. I have always supported MMP and purchased every ASL release...but in todays ASL economy, I just can't afford it. I sincerely hope that the magazine is a success for MMP.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I won't, not right now and it has nothing to do with money issues. I have far to many scenario's I wont play without adding two more. If this mag gets almost no ASL love then maybe they will drop the ASL from it and put the two scenario's and articles into future Journals. I have no issue with SK scenario's in Opps mags as it fits (many SK players play lots of other games so value for money. Whilst I want to play other boardgames time is not really helpful so I just don't get round to it. Hence it's so a waste to have to buy the rest for what will go unread. Lots better ASL for £24.

Ian
I have every offiically published AH/MMP scenario... It's the one really collector-y compulsion I have. :rolleyes: I blame myself. This pushes the boundaries and if it had been $40, I think I would have passed. I happen to have seen the scenarios and one is very interesting (and meaty). I wouldn't want to play it if I hadn't bought it.

I passed on lots of Operations (and Ops SE 2) because SK is of no value to me if it doesn't have components; They can do what they want with SK, it's clearly not for ASLers primarily.

S

Jerry Simmons

ntasl.com
Reaction score
I'll be passing on this one <checks pulse... yep, still ticking>. Too much money for what in my eyes is just two scenarios. Not knocking the magazine, it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm a "monogameist" who plays ASL exclusively.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hate to say this, but for the first time, I think that I am going to have to pass on this...there has been too much ASL lately. The Cholm HASL took all the ASL money I had available, and Crucible of Steel is coming around ASLOK and will be around $100 (estimated), and all of the ASLOK releases are just two months away which will be around $75+. With the massive increases in tuition, I just don't have the money to spend on a magazine that only has ASL crumbs in it...two ASL and two SK scenarios just doesn't get my purchase any more when there is far too much good ASL available from TPP's. (I know there are ASL articles in it, but I can't play an article.) I only play ASL, so while it is entertaining to read about other games, they are not a value to me. I purchased the Special Editions previously, but have not so much as touched the games that came in them.

I can't believe that I am saying this, but there is too much ASL on the market right now. With very limited funds and too many products on the market, I am forced to be selective in where I spend my few ASL dollars. I have always supported MMP and purchased every ASL release...but in todays ASL economy, I just can't afford it. I sincerely hope that the magazine is a success for MMP.

Semper Fi!
Scott
Great points. I'm on the fence and will have to look thru a copy before deciding. Surely not the old days when you could pay $4.95 for an issue of The General and get two scenarios, and lots of complaints that Avalon Hill was spending too much time on ASL.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Ordered on Wednesday and MMP tell me it has shipped.

I would buy this for the Singling article alone - it's a CG I've played and some analysis would be very interesting to see how it compares with my own. Plus, it includes other wargames :)

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Where are you reading that there is an article on Singling? The web page I'm loading from the link above mentions nothing about one.
I proofed the magazine, didn't bother to look at the website until now.

MMP Website said:
The premier issue of Special Ops is jam-packed with strategy and analysis articles for many of MMP's fine games, including: Shifting Sands, ASL, ASL Starter Kit, SCS Gazala, and Baltic Gap. You'll also find an Origins 2009 report, as well as an article about the use of wargames--Fire In The Sky specifically--in the classroom.
That's what the ASL article is. It was not my intention to spoil, hope Chas doesn't shoot me (again).

S

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Ah, thanks. Not much of a spoiler as I have already ordered and got a notice that the order is being processed, so I think you're fine. :) Just curious as it seems there is another wargaming magazine published this month with an article on Singling in it also.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Ah, thanks. Not much of a spoiler as I have already ordered and got a notice that the order is being processed, so I think you're fine. :) Just curious as it seems there is another wargaming magazine published this month with an article on Singling in it also.
Really? Which is that?

S

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The two mini games interest me too, so I ordered it.

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gotta pass on the mag. I just won't buy everything that comes out in the name of ASL anymore.

I want to play what I've already got.:rifle:

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Great points. I'm on the fence and will have to look thru a copy before deciding. Surely not the old days when you could pay $4.95 for an issue of The General and get two scenarios, and lots of complaints that Avalon Hill was spending too much time on ASL.
Hello!

I have to admit for the first time I am also on the fence about a MMP product with ASL content (I am not counting the map pack nor the FKAC re-print).

I have come to the realization that Gamers stuff is just not more me, thus lots of the articles are not my cup of tea (EXC: Singling).

I am just not certain I can justify the cost for two ASL scenarios. I bought Special OPS 1 and 3 as they had significant ASL content, not to mention other games that interested me, but I am leaning to a pass on this one.

Peace

Roger

Chris Drake

Capitalist Pig
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While it pisses me off they keep putting ASL content in these magazines, I'll have to buy it. For the ASl and the new SCS game.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I want to play what I've already got.:rifle:
Well hell if we looked at is that way, most of us would not buy anything any longer:smoke::clown:

Reace

Roger