New members introduce yourself here

casmithasl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hy my names Cliff drop over sometime. Seriously I've been gameing ASL for some time now, and have been reading this forum for about a year. I am 62 yrs. old and retired and allways availiable.

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hy my names Cliff drop over sometime. Seriously I've been gameing ASL for some time now, and have been reading this forum for about a year. I am 62 yrs. old and retired and allways availiable.
Cliff ... you must have missed my post last July when my family took our vacation and went to Gettysburg.

We were in Harrisburg for several days... did the Hershey thing before heading down to Gettysburg.

I was looking for a game that week and I'm sorry we missed each other.

Retired and available all the time would have worked perfectly!

JT

IanP

Reaction score
Country
ll
Another Newbie just saying hello. Just got into ASLSK via other boardgames (M44 in particular). I've been reading the forum for a few weeks and enjoying the information here so decided it was time to sign up. I don't have a FTF partner apart from my son who's 8 yrs old and probably a bit young for ASL (don't want to scare him too much just yet :) ).

I have VASL and have been watching a few games on there but mostly struggling along on my own with tips from the web. Looking forward to getting more involved here.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Another Newbie just saying hello. Just got into ASLSK via other boardgames (M44 in particular). I've been reading the forum for a few weeks and enjoying the information here so decided it was time to sign up. I don't have a FTF partner apart from my son who's 8 yrs old and probably a bit young for ASL (don't want to scare him too much just yet :) ).

I have VASL and have been watching a few games on there but mostly struggling along on my own with tips from the web. Looking forward to getting more involved here.
Welcome Ian, I don't know very much about players around Manchester, but I know there's some great guys in the Liverpool (I know, I know) area. CraigBenn who posts here and a couple of his regular gaming buddies are pretty active players. Also, there's a yearly tournament in Blackpool which you've just missed, but if you get a chance, look out for it next year. It's really laid back and I promise you'll have a great time!

Dave

asl7-0

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Christopher
Country
llUnited States
Howdy,

I reckon a lto of you know me form ASLML + YASL as
Mountain View Cottage and/or asl7-0 from VASL.

I got a set-up for a VASL game of AP17 form my opponent that uses
a modified Board 18 that is supposed to be avaiaable on thsi site.

Can anyone tell me how to find it & DL it?

TIA,

Christopher Fleury
Mountain View Cottage
Sgt. Meikle's Bunker
Lewis, NY
ASL 6+1
Camp Dudley #12557
USS Iowa; BB-61

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I got a set-up for a VASL game of AP17 form my opponent that uses
a modified Board 18 that is supposed to be avaiaable on thsi site.
Very top of the page...."Downloads"....follow the links to MMP->ASL->Maps....

asl7-0

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Christopher
Country
llUnited States
I did that, but the board in question is not listed among the 16 downloads avaialable...?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I did that, but the board in question is not listed among the 16 downloads avaialable...?
Huh....only place I know of to download stuff on these forums....

You might ask you opponent? Better yet, have him send you the VASL map file?

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Huh....only place I know of to download stuff on these forums....

You might ask you opponent? Better yet, have him send you the VASL map file?
IMO that'd be best - if your oppo sends you the partic'lar map file (to be saved to your VASL boards dir) and also gives you the games setup file (which will req' that you've got his mapfile in your 'boards' dir). else, y'all won't even be setting up a congruent game!

Egbert

Golfball Liberation Org.
Reaction score
Good day.
I weaned on SL when it first came out and grew up just outside of Baltimore. I didn't know there wasn't a place like Avalon hill in every city.
Kingmaker was our beer and pretzel, we checked out all the games in the SPI mags.
The couple serious players were SL fanatics.
I left the country on the Navy plan for a few years starting in '85 and never had an opponent after that.
I haven't picked up ASL yet as I don't yet know of a gaming group in the town I moved to (Roanoke, VA). I am still in an apartment pending finding the house I want to buy. That will have a room for my hobbies.
I fully expect to have the ability to return to the hobby. The first thing to do is to figure out the maze of what to acquire, in what order, that's not OOP and OOS.....

Last edited:

Gabriel

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, I have been playing the starter kits for a while and started playing ASL recently. I was wondering if buying Croix de Guerre would be a worthwhile venture? I have AP4 Normandy on pre-order but have no french troops, do I need them, does Croix de Guerre have what I need? Knowing what goes with what is somewhat difficult.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Gabriel

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome, Egbert and Gabriel!
Egbert, I would recommend you to try the Starter Kits, which are a nice way to enter the system.
If you are looking for opponents, do leave a thread in the Opponents wanted subforum. If you don't find FtF opponents, install VASL - which allows you to play online (and using Skype, the experience is near to a FtF one).

Gabriel, Croix de Guerre is a nice module and I would recommend you buy it.
You won't need the French for the Normandy fightings (but you will need the Germans, Brits and Americans).
The basic set in ASL is the Rulebook and the Beyond Valor module. Yanks would be the third usefull item - and For King and Country the fourth.

Anyway, I hope you both will find usefull ressources and fun on this forum.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Thanks Robin the info is very helpful to a newbie.

Gabriel
Hi Gabriel,

Croix De Guerre is the French ASL module, Beyond Valor is the German and Russian module, Yanks is the American module and For King And Country is the British one. There are others for Axis and Allied Minors, Italians, Japanese, Marine, Chinese - one to come out for the Finnish. As you can see the system is quite comprehensive. It stretches out and covers masses of aspects of WWII, especially if you include Third Party Producers. (i.e. Not MMP).

Jan.

tiohn

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, everyone. I thought I would go ahead and register while I impatiently await the postman to arrive with my ASLRB. I am brand new to ASL, since although I've read through SKs#1&2, I have yet to play any scenarios, even solo. And now I'm writing this rather than setting up some scenarios in VASL.
I've played wargames on and off for 10 years or so, but have typically stuck with PC games for lack of an opponent. However, I recently discovered that there's a fairly active ASL community here in Raleigh, where one or two gentlemen have offered to tutor me as soon as we can work out some coincident free time (school makes my schedule a *****), so I decided to go ahead jump right in. In the meantime, I've found another beginner to try and puzzle through some scenarios with. Wish me luck!

Gabriel

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings,

I used to play Avalon Hill games back in the day so it is nice to have found ASL. While the learning curve is steep I am lucky to have some freinds who also have started to play and to live within a couple miles and some experienced players to learn from too. Will For King and for Country be coming out in some form again or should I but the starter kits to get some of the English Chits? I have Yanks coming soon along with Doomed Battalions when it comes out.

aussieclem

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi everyone,
I guess I would class myself as a newbie to ASL because whilst I own most of the original Avalon Hill ASL products, I have never had time to digest the rules. I have always thought of ASL as my long term project. Lately I have dug out the rules and once again I am preparing to try a SASL game.
This led me to surf the net for ASL and SASL and here I am....

As I am completely "out of date" with the state of the game, can I ask my first question?
What is SASL II and is it available for purchase?

My intent was to find if anyone had developed the other nationalities (ie japanese, british, italian etc) generation tables and get the impression that these nationalities were covered in the 2nd version of SASL - is this the case and is this SASL II?

cheers

Phil

aussieclem

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi all,
OK scrub my last email - I have found the answers that I asked for (and unfortunately for me the news isn't good).

cheers

Phil

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
a couple of years ago, there was a site with nationality generation tables for the countries not covered in SASL2. Did you find that site?

Oh, and welcome here one and all; hope you enjoy GameSquad.