New members introduce yourself here

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello... I'm Lance Jones residing in Nashville TN, USA. I go with the handle Rachetguy. I'm a veteran board gamer. I got started back in 1973 with Panzer Blitz and Blitzkrieg just after I entered the service, US Navy. I did have a dry spell in circa '98 when I moved to Nashville Tn. Searched as hard as I could but no board gamers. Plenty of miniature players tho'. Nyaa! Good for when the DT's hit. I hit the websites for ASL'rs. Got a few but none that had the time. Then a couple of months ago I got a call from one of them.. Michael Hershey! Ya.. he's a regular here on the boards too. Anyway Michael took me under his wing to get me back into playing ASL! 3 cheers for Michael!! And what a blast we've had. Oh there's been the one turn blow outs for each of us here and there...but the vast majority of our games have come down to that last possible die roll for victory or defeat! Ahhh, what more could you ask for! :) Anyway...glad to make ya'lls acquaintance!
Hey Lance,

Welcome to the club.

MJVC

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, a happy ASL forum to join! :clown: Hello all. I'm Matt Cicero, resident troublemaker in the Southern California ASL Club. Been gaming all my life, tried everything. ASL has held my interest longer than anything else...not that I play as much as I'd like. Couldn't honestly say why...might be a good thread topic, actually...

Not sure what took me so long to join this forum but glad I did. Looking forward to browsing the various threads, toss in my 2 cents and occasionally make fun of Scott Thompson. He deserves it, if you didn't know already...:devious:

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, a happy ASL forum to join! :clown: Hello all. I'm Matt Cicero, resident troublemaker in the Southern California ASL Club. Been gaming all my life, tried everything. ASL has held my interest longer than anything else...not that I play as much as I'd like. Couldn't honestly say why...might be a good thread topic, actually...

Not sure what took me so long to join this forum but glad I did. Looking forward to browsing the various threads, toss in my 2 cents and occasionally make fun of Scott Thompson. He deserves it, if you didn't know already...:devious:
Scott has that "bulls-eye" target as an avatar.... You just have to know "where to aim".:clown:

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

...and the ball busting begins...:bite::p

Now that Matt is here, you can all PM him directly with your MPIII issues...he is the "indentured servant" that I made referance to. :cool: Seriously, for all of you that ordered MPIII recently, Matt is the person that handled every single aspect of the transaction, from handling all of the PayPal transactions (and the few difficulties that popped up), printing all of the scenario cards, and mailing out the packs. For those that gave props to us for "speedy service", make sure that you let Matt know.

Also, for those of you that enjoyed Vulcan's Forge, Matt is one of the co-designers of that scenario. :salute:

Glad you joined, Matt...I've only been telling you about it for a couple of years. :nuts::laugh: Check out the AAR, Announcements, and Tactics & Strategy sub forums...some very good stuff to be found there.

Semper Fi!
Scott

hershmeister

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello... I'm Lance Jones residing in Nashville TN, USA. I go with the handle Rachetguy. I'm a veteran board gamer. I got started back in 1973 with Panzer Blitz and Blitzkrieg just after I entered the service, US Navy. I did have a dry spell in circa '98 when I moved to Nashville Tn. Searched as hard as I could but no board gamers. Plenty of miniature players tho'. Nyaa! Good for when the DT's hit. I hit the websites for ASL'rs. Got a few but none that had the time. Then a couple of months ago I got a call from one of them.. Michael Hershey! Ya.. he's a regular here on the boards too. Anyway Michael took me under his wing to get me back into playing ASL! 3 cheers for Michael!! And what a blast we've had. Oh there's been the one turn blow outs for each of us here and there...but the vast majority of our games have come down to that last possible die roll for victory or defeat! Ahhh, what more could you ask for! :) Anyway...glad to make ya'lls acquaintance!

Welcome to the board lance!!! Now we have to get you up and running on VASL and your mind will truly be blown :)

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello World, my name is Andy Beaton. I'm just getting back into the game after a 20 year hiatus; my old partners had moved away and family responsibilities kinda took over my life, but the kids are growing and I have more free time now, and I've found some new partners in crime.
I like small scenarios with crappy troops and weak AFV's. Anyone can win a battle with a column of Tigers, but it takes skill to do the same with a couple of armoured cars for support. :)
The bad news is that a full box of components went missing on me during the quiet time, so I'll be slowly rebuilding my collection. Slowly because even though the kids need less of my time, they still need all of my money!
I expect I'll be mostly lurking here while I get back up to speed, but look forward to learning and maybe connecting with some fellow-wargamers up here in Toronto.

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes It's a tragedy but i think we come back in first division next season ...

If you come in nantes, contact me because we are a great player's group (with some experimented members and some newbies like me ) and we meet eachother every six week for playing, having fun and drinking beer and muscadet. You can touch me here or on the french forum (same "pseudo"). I hope I can fight against you one day ( on a card of course !).
Will do. Sounds like you guys play ASL the way I do.

I'm hoping to make a trip to France in the next 2 years. Want to take my kids to Normandy, and a side bar to Bretagne would be a requirement.

JT

Joshua Astray

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llChina
Hello guys,my name is ZheCheng He,a ASL newbie from China.I'm 23 years old,undergraduating.I've just got a ASL SK#3 and start to learn the game.It's very interesting,but also quite complex...The problem is no one like boardgames around me,so I have no one to talk about it...It's great to find a forum with so many ASL players.I will have many newbie questions to ask.
Besides wargame,I like other kinds of boardgames.Such as DND TRPG,BANG!,MTG,etc.We have some small groups organized on the net,playing mainly DND TRPG(both on net and in realism) and boardgames.Wondering if you guys have enough boardgamers around?It's so hard to catch a boardgamer around in China.Sigh...

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Hello guys,my name is ZheCheng He,a ASL newbie from China.I'm 23 years old,undergraduating.I've just got a ASL SK#3 and start to learn the game.It's very interesting,but also quite complex...The problem is no one like boardgames around me,so I have no one to talk about it...It's great to find a forum with so many ASL players.I will have many newbie questions to ask.
Besides wargame,I like other kinds of boardgames.Such as DND TRPG,BANG!,MTG,etc.We have some small groups organized on the net,playing mainly DND TRPG(both on net and in realism) and boardgames.Wondering if you guys have enough boardgamers around?It's so hard to catch a boardgamer around in China.Sigh...
Where in China are you? I used to travel a lot to GuangDong province for work....but I have since lost my job. There was, a long time ago (January 2002) a junior officer at the US consulate in Guangzhou who played ASL. He may be re-assigned to another Chinese posting by this time. I wish I could remember his name....

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here, ZheCheng He!:)

I believe you are the first Chinese ASL player around!

The problem of many players is to find Face to Face opponents.
VASL is a free program that allows to play, either online or via email, and has helped a lot of players (like myself) find opponents. VASL is free and only emulates the game (no Artificial Intelligence). It is programmed in Java, so it works as well on Widows, Mac and Linux OS.
There is an active Japanese ASL community, so if you are not too far from them ("GMT" wise) you could find a way to play online.
Here is the link to the VASL site (click on the download menu and launch the latest version, then download the boards that you will place in a folder that you will specify in the preferences of the program) : http://www.vasl.org/index.htm

Anyway, I hope you will find usefull ressources around here.

Joshua Astray

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llChina
Where in China are you? I used to travel a lot to GuangDong province for work....but I have since lost my job. There was, a long time ago (January 2002) a junior officer at the US consulate in Guangzhou who played ASL. He may be re-assigned to another Chinese posting by this time. I wish I could remember his name....
I'm now in NanJing for studying.My home town is WenZhou,Zhejiang.Maybe some of you meet WenZhou merchants before?:D

Thank you Robin,I will see to the VASL.

Warwick Bear

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hello! New to these forums so thought I'd better dive straight in and introduce myself!

I'm 49 going through 3rd childhood playing games and just got back into board gaming. Other interests are playing and collecting Fantasy/Sci Fi wargaming figures, military history, exploring Egypt and bird watching!!

I live near Warwick in central England, UK.

I either got lucky or unlucky depending on how you view it by buying a bigish ASL collection and seeing as I have only played Squad Leader in 2nd childhood thought I would give it a go!!

I will probably ask a number of stupid questions regarding rules and scenarios and also need quite a few missing bits and pieces to complete modules, as well as trying to obtain some of the other items I would like to get. So will probably read more than contribute to start with.

Cheers

Neil

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here, Neil.
Don't think you will be alone asking "stupid questions".
Even the best and most experienced players discover new aspects of the game, after years of practice.
Just an advice : in the Rules & errata forum, first use the search engine, as many questions already have been adressed.

Are you stepping in ASL directly via the Rulebook?
If you want a more progressive learning of the system, you can try for the Sarter Kits.

dyklas

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hello!
Im new to the forum and want to learn the full ASL game. I recently bought Starterkit #1, but my friend who used to play the full ASL some years ago, now want us to play full ASL. Im 33 years old and have a family with two kids, wich means that I dont have enough time, but will try to play some late evenings when its possible.
I suppose I will ask a lot of questions in this forum.

Nicklas

J.L.Robert

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings! Los Angeles-based player here.

Was a big ASL player about 15 years ago, but drifted away over time (and the loss of my local opponents). I otherwise have an extensive ASL collection, missing AP2, and some Historical Modules and ASL Journals from MMP from having everything from AH and MMP.

I'd like the opportunity to find opponents to walk me back into this game. My last regular opponent turned out to be an unfortunate choice (though I'm not too sure about the details).

Hope to have some fun around here.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi J.L.
If you are having problems finding FtF opponents, do try VASL (LINK).
Using Skype, the experience is quite near a FtF one.
Welcome here and I hope you will find the ressources and support you need!

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
J.L.;

Check out the SoCal ASL CLub at www.socalasl.com We've got a number of players not too far from you (one guy in Winnetka; one in Ventura)...you can click on "membership" and see where club members live in relation to you.

We've got a monthly game day that meets in Claremont, and another in Brea (in O.C.)...there is also a weekly Friday night meet in Arcadia...all of them a bit of a trek for you though. Nothing going on in the valley or north valley area at the moment unfortunately.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Greetings! Los Angeles-based player here.

Was a big ASL player about 15 years ago, but drifted away over time (and the loss of my local opponents). I otherwise have an extensive ASL collection, missing AP2, and some Historical Modules and ASL Journals from MMP from having everything from AH and MMP.

I'd like the opportunity to find opponents to walk me back into this game. My last regular opponent turned out to be an unfortunate choice (though I'm not too sure about the details).

Hope to have some fun around here.

Mark Granquist

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi

Just got onto the forum. I have been playing for 12 plus years. Even though Lincoln NE is in the middle of the country we have a strong group here of 4 to 6 players regularly. We could always use more though, as we lose and gain some when the University begins and ends. Glad to be here.

Mark

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here, Mark,
I hope you will find usefull ressources in these forums.
If you are used to play with a restricted number of opponents (or a rather isolated group), it could be possible that you will discover some elements of the rules that are understood differently by the global ASL community - one never stops learning...
Have a nice time here!

Robin

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
Hi

Just got onto the forum. I have been playing for 12 plus years. Even though Lincoln NE is in the middle of the country we have a strong group here of 4 to 6 players regularly. We could always use more though, as we lose and gain some when the University begins and ends. Glad to be here.

Mark
I went to college there and that's where I started ASL. Didn't play much until I ended up here in Spokane, though. I have some friends still there that I used to DM for for D&D that are trying to get me to find a job there and move back. They know about my ASL obsession and, ironically, one of the selling ponts is that there is a group there (including a local gaming/comic store employee).

Anyway, welcome to the forums. Take it all with a grain of salt, have fun, and roll low.