New members introduce yourself here

Elrohir69

Reaction score
First name
Santiago
Country
llSpain
Hello All,

I'm Santiago from Madrid, and I have been abducted by ASL ...
I played one game of SL 20 years ago and since then I have been waiting for playing again and 2 months ago I could do it. Right now I have rulebook and BV and I have preordered VoTG (well a friend of mine did it for me).

I have a lot of questions and doubts and I hope you'll help me to solve them. First of all and most important is. Do you know the best way for learning ASL? I will tell you how I'm doing, I don't know if it's a good way.

Almost every friday I have a lesson with a friend who is teaching me and 3-4 more guys, we have been learning infantry and OBA and we'll start with Ordnance and Vehicles next friday. Some days he explains us the rules and the rest of the days we play a scenario. But we never finish it (no more than 3-4 turns) and that's not enough for me. So I decided to buy rulebook and Beyond Valor and started playing myself and after that with another friend who had ASLSK and wanted to play ASL . But he didn't know the rules so we started together from the scratch. We have played 3 ASLSK scenarios, finished and enjoyed them, and we are using some of the ASL rules (like Dash, Deployment, Battle Hardering ...), and as soon as we finish the first 6 scenarios of ASLSK we have planned to play some of the Classic and BV ones, before begining with OBA/Ordnance. I don't know if it's a good idea adding ASL rules to ASLSK scenarios or if this is a good way for learning, but lessons without gaming it's really boring (specially if we are talking about ASL rules ...).

Well this is more than a presentation and a question, I hope I will enjoy the forum (in fact I'm enjoying it right now) and I'll learn from all of you. There are a lot of posts really interesting for newbies.

PS. I'm sorry because of my english is not very good :OHNO: but I will try to do my best:).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome, Santiago!
I think you have taken the right road to learn ASL : finding other experienced players to help you and entering the system via SKs.
About questions, the Rules and Errata subforum is the good place to ask them (after having searched the forum, because many questions already have been adressed).
You don't need to be sorry for your English. This is an international forum and you are not alone not to have English as first language (in my case, my French is much better, even though I have an English name, as I have lived most of my life in French speaking Switzerland).
So, feel at home here.:)

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi and welcome to the ASL Forum!

Your doing just right by starting with both the infantry and terrain rules, once you feel comfortable with those rules, progress to the OBA rules and if you have questions, by all means ask them. Post what ever you feel is relivent to ASL, be it a JS II vs a king tiger or what ever else you can come up with.

Scott

Hello All,

I played one game of SL 20 years ago and since then I have been waiting for playing again and 2 months ago I could do it. Right now I have rulebook and BV and I have preordered VoTG (well a friend of mine did it for me).

I have a lot of questions and doubts and I hope you'll help me to solve them. First of all and most important is. Do you know the best way for learning ASL? I will tell you how I'm doing, I don't know if it's a good way.

Almost every friday I have a lesson with a friend who is teaching me and 3-4 more guys, we have been learning infantry and OBA and we'll start with Ordnance and Vehicles next friday. Some days he explains us the rules and the rest of the days we play a scenario. But we never finish it (no more than 3-4 turns) and that's not enough for me. So I decided to buy rulebook and Beyond Valor and started playing myself and after that with another friend who had ASLSK and wanted to play ASL . But he didn't know the rules so we started together from the scratch. We have played 3 ASLSK scenarios, finished and enjoyed them, and we are using some of the ASL rules (like Dash, Deployment, Battle Hardering ...), and as soon as we finish the first 6 scenarios of ASLSK we have planned to play some of the Classic and BV ones, before begining with OBA/Ordnance. I don't know if it's a good idea adding ASL rules to ASLSK scenarios or if this is a good way for learning, but lessons without gaming it's really boring (specially if we are talking about ASL rules ...).

Well this is more than a presentation and a question, I hope I will enjoy the forum (in fact I'm enjoying it right now) and I'll learn from all of you. There are a lot of posts really interesting for newbies.

PS. I'm sorry because of my english is not very good :OHNO: but I will try to do my best:).

Ricardov41

Recruit
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I live in Rockville and I have seen there is a good DC ASL club. I think I need a little more time before I take on an opponent but I appreciate the offers!

AceWasabi

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After a very long hiatus away from ASL I recently decided to dig out my games and get back in to it. I stopped playing ASL primarily because of a lack of time due to life in general but never forgot about it. In fact I carefully stored a good sized collection and occasionally purchased a new item for it, thinking that "I'll be playing this again eventually, it's just too good to not get back in to". Well that day has arrived LOL.

I've been lurking on these boards for a few days reading a lot of very interesting topics. It's definitely helped to pique my interest even more than it already was. This weekend I'll be taking a careful stock of what I have and what needs to be updated. I already know I want to switch from counter trays to 3701s LOL.

I live on the Central Coast in California, (Monterey Peninsula) and eventually I'll be looking for a game or 2. Drop me a line if you're a player or part of a group in the area.

Couple of questions right off the bat.

1) I just saw that MMP is sending out a new module called Valor of the Guards to those who pre-ordered. Does anyone know if additional copies will be available on their site after pre-orders have been filled?

2) I have West of Alamein, I see that's now been replaced by For King and Country. My question is, are the counters the same? If I buy the chapter H and the scenario cards that are available will that update me to the current level?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome back to the fold, Rob.

VotG will be available even if you didn't pre-order.

Sorry, I can't answer your WoA vs. FKaC question. I know one of the differences was a change in the turret of one of the British tanks (from white circle to white square--or vice versa.) Not a biggie, IMO.

stonewall7

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guess we'll see if you can teach an old dog like me new tricks, like how to subscribe to ASL forums and such.

Scott Jackson here. Was stonewall7 on ASLML. Still stonewall7 here.

So how the heck do I get this thing to automatically send me just the new posts each day?

BTW, I lost to SAM BELCHER last Tuesday...how did that happen! Sam has sure sharpened his game in the last coupla years!!

Scott Jackson
aka stonewall7

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Globally, you WOA counters are the same as those if FKaC (EXC the desert stuff is not included in FKaC).
Comets and Challengers have fast turrets now and there are a modification of rules for Churchills (which can cross double crests).
You don't need to buy FKaC for the counters.
Of course, it includes previously published ETO scenarios, with some modifications - click on the "download" hypertext of the following page : http://www.multimanpublishing.com/ASL/prodfkac.php

Ruarigh

Born-again Viking
Reaction score
Country
llPeru
Hi,

Ruarigh Dale here. I started ASL back in the early 90s but have been out of it for a couple of years. I am hoping to get back into it ftf, but failing that I do like solitaire, as long as I can set it up away from the FOBA.

Cheers,
Ruarigh

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello All. I'm a new ASL recruit although I used to play SL, Tobruk, and Russian Campaign back in the late 70s when I was too young to know many rules. My older brother would always "interpret" the rules somehow so that my shots would miss and my men would break.

I have the rulebook and Beyond Valor so far and it is a bit daunting. My brother is now helping me learn the rules by playing on VASL and I don't think he's cheating this time. Anway, I am most interested in the Eastern Front so I'm thinking about adding VoTG. I'm too much of a novice to go to WO, although I live only about 45 minutes away. Time to get back to that rulebook.
First of all, welcome the the forum for the insane...er, ASL players. You'll find a lot of help here, so feel free to ask anything. Regarding the "daunting rulebook"...what I've found works well for new players is to set up a couple boards and pull a few counters. As you read the rules and follow the examples shown, replicate them on the boards you set up. It makes "digesting" all that info a lot easier and faster. Good to have ya aboard, and no matter what anyone else says about me I'm only slightly neurotic about the Manila HASL...okay, totally neurotic.:nuts::nuts::nuts:

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the welcome Sarge. This is certainly a great site filled with dedicated ASLers.
You're welcome. Lots of ASL players back in Maryland. Check the "Home" listing under guys names...when you see someone from Maryland, drop 'em an email and see if you can get together for some ASL training. Most vets are more than willing to help newer players learn the system. And have fun!

SgtStahler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guess we'll see if you can teach an old dog like me new tricks, like how to subscribe to ASL forums and such.

Scott Jackson here. Was stonewall7 on ASLML. Still stonewall7 here.

So how the heck do I get this thing to automatically send me just the new posts each day?

BTW, I lost to SAM BELCHER last Tuesday...how did that happen! Sam has sure sharpened his game in the last coupla years!!

Scott Jackson
aka stonewall7
Hello Mr -Wall (Scott...) !

:)

Welcome! So, as it happens, I was the guy winning on your left while Sam was beating you... [Yes, thats right, all, MrB has been having mini-Tourney's in his dining room on Tuesday's... You didnt know? :] It was nice to make your acquaintance... :)

[Hee hee... I can only get away with that because I know Ernie doesnt read/post here... Too bad, sucker!]

So, Scott, that's totally cool to see that Sam has drawn you back in and that obviously you have some history with the old ASLML... Excellent! I hope to see you at his place soon. And actually, maybe at Sam's next Tues-Tourney, we can play each other and Sam and Ernie and play the other game... A winners-play-losers tourney... With 4 participants, you are guaranteed a new opponent each week... :)

S

scottf2

ASL addict
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all. My name is Scott and I've got a rapidly developing ASL addiction.

Thanks to my mentors Dave Story and Chris Olden, I'm starting to figure out the ASLSK rules, and I'm jonesing to tackle full ASL soon (I purchased the rulebook and Beyond Valor moments after my first SK game with Chris, and just picked up Yanks as well, so I'm ready to go!)

This forum is a great resource, and I'm spending way too much time on here (but hey, it beats working!) I just signed up for West Coast Melee, looking forward to some good SK games and the 7-0 Leaders program. Looking forward to meeting some of you there.

Scott

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello All,

Santiago - first of all WELCOME to the world of ASL. You're in for some great times. Second, no need to apologize for your grasp of English. It is far better than most of us abusers of the language could do. Just take on the rules sections one at a time til you feel comfortable with it, then move on to the next rules section. Absorb it it bite-size pieces you can handle and slowly expand your overall knowledge. It's great you have someone who can teach you. That will be a big help. Don't be afraid to ask any questions here either. You'll be surprised how many replies you get back. Roll low, win big.