New members introduce yourself here

GF of Seoul

Reaction score
Returnee

Hi,

Not really new to the forum, but a recent returnee after a hiatus.

I live in Leavenworth KS, and am one of the leaders of the Kansas City Irregular ASLers (KCIA). We generally meet the third Sat of every month.

I'm a regular Army officer and am stationed at Ft Leavenworth.

Tom

Kineas

Colonel General
Reaction score
Country
llHungary
Hi all,

it's Kineas from Hungary. The postman just delivered my ASLSK#1 box today. I'm quite happy with it, except that I think the counters will be too small. I generally play Combat Mission on PC, but I expect to play this game with one of my "offline" buddy. (It's a big jump after the Cold War Naval Battles cardgame...). ASLSK is my first board wargame ever. I have been lurking here for a while, but now I'll be more active.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

it's Kineas from Hungary. The postman just delivered my ASLSK#1 box today. I'm quite happy with it, except that I think the counters will be too small. I generally play Combat Mission on PC, but I expect to play this game with one of my "offline" buddy. (It's a big jump after the Cold War Naval Battles cardgame...). ASLSK is my first board wargame ever. I have been lurking here for a while, but now I'll be more active.

Welcome, Kineas! Wow, your first game is one of the best games; good choice.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. We're generally a friendly lot!

jgross

Reaction score
Hello all. I suppose it was bad form to have first posted in the ASL Opponents Wanted sub-forum. A bit trigger-happy, I guess.

Anyway, I started playing Squad Leader in the long, long ago. And then I suppose I discovered girls and forgot all about it. A few months ago, a former co-worker and I were discussing our favorite games and discovered that we had both played and enjoyed Squad Leader during our formative years. An exhaustive search of mine and my parents' home did not turn up the vaunted orange-and-black box and its treasure within. Sadly, it seems the cardboard warriors fell victim not to wuthering HMG fire, but to one of my many moves in the intervening years.

So it was off to eBay for me. Owing to my somewhat obsessive-compulsive behavior, it wasn't long before I came into possession of Squad Leader and Cross of Iron. And then, after doing some Internet reading, I made the fateful decision to dive head-first into ASL. Now I have the ASLRB (1st Ed.) and the first three original AH modules (BV, Para and Yanks). While I still get together with that old co-worker of mine to play original SL (most recently taking a thrashing at the hands of his Red Horde in the Hedgehog of Piepsk - the damned radio broke before I could land even one 81mm round!) I haven't talked him into joining me in ASL... yet.

Which I guess is why I posted in the ASL Opponents Wanted sub-forum first.

And now you know... the rest... of the story. Good day!

ChrisBuehler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome jgross! There is an active North Texas group that holds regular game days in the Metroplex area. I would suggest you send a PM to IYAOYAS (Jerry Simmons) who sends out e-mails about the game days. Also, you should check out the Central Texas ASL Club:

http://texas-asl.com/

They host an annual tournament in Austin that you should check out if you can.

Chris

jgross

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, Chris! I'm actually already on the Central Texas mailing list, but I'll be sure to reach out to Jerry about playing FtF.

Steve 5+2

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello,
I remember some of the names found here from the old ASLML. Its great to see familiar folks! I have been to a couple Chicago Opens and a few Octoberfests. Played for a few years VASL on email. After moving to S. Virginia, I found the Tidewater ASL group and play with them when work allows. Im getting back into PBEM atm.

IYAOYAS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the heads up, Chris! I'm actually already on the Central Texas mailing list, but I'll be sure to reach out to Jerry about playing FtF.
Our game days are held the second Saturday of every month (Oct. 13 is next), should have an announcement about it next week on the CTASL list. Let me know if you want to play something before then.

bryanspellman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello all,

I have been wanting to play ASL for years but had neither: a) the money or b) a face to face player.

Now I have found a gaming group that has several full time all the time ASL players (3 at ASLOK right now) who have volunteered to whip, uhm, teach me in ftf games. I bought ASLSK1, 2 and 3 and hope to progress from there. I started here as I want to include my son once I get the hang of the basic rules. And we thought that the SKs were a better choice financially.

I WILL move onto full ASL (already pre-ordered the rules and beyond valor for Christmas).

I downloaded VASL as well and will hopefully find some opponents there....

Thanks for the good info here as I was lurking all this time!

Bryan

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi Bryan,
Welcome here.
The SKs are meant to help you enter full ASL smoothly.
Be carefull : ASL is severly addictive (I have been hooked from the beginning and never have been able to be sober again :D).
I hope you will find the ressources you are looking for, around here.
Do feel free to ask all the questions you need answers to, in the Rules and Errata subforum (but try a search forum before, as many questions already have been adressed).
I find it cool that you are involving your son.
Mine is 8 y.o., so I will have to wait some time (and our first language is French, which makes things somehow more complicated) - I have two daughters, 18 and 14 y.o., besides, but ASL and wargames don't interest them at all...:cry:

GmanFan

Recruit
Reaction score
Hello All,

After months of consideration, I finally got the courage to try ASL. I'm only starting with ASLSK1 with the idea that I'll "ease" into ASL. Saying that, in the coming weeks I fully expect myself to be buying everything ASL that I can get my hands on.

I look forward to discussing and hopefully playing ASL with you all. Also, I apoligize in advance for the many posts I create asking dumb questions about ASL.

Thanks,
John

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome, GmanFan.
There are no stupid newbie questions--ask away!

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Welcome, GmanFan.
There are no stupid newbie questions--ask away!
TRUE!... But there will be occassional stupid responses.
Notice I said responses... not answers.
Answers are usually fairly good.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And I actually added "newbie" as a modifier on purpose. ;)

Sometimes we forget--after 20+ years--that there are some things newbies don't take for granted.

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
Ho-Ho! Kidding of course.

Go play the Wolkster. He's a good one to learn from, as I have learned from him as well.
As one of his "easy wins", I can vouch for that. He's a good game, though. I have learned a lot so far. Now, if I could just learn the secret to rolling dice so that I actually do something other than watch my squads die....

:clown::clown::clown::clown:

- Josh

P.S. Always looking for new players for the Spokane ASL club. Come on out, it's a blast.

Repo

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hiya

Hi there,

I used to play a little bit of SL back in the day but my one opponent got married and moved away so that pretty much ended that. I did try SL through PBEM for a time but it was quite frustating with transpositions and such. (Hoping VASL will make those a thing of the past).

I just got the ASL rule book 2nd ed. and Beyond Valor in the mail and have been plowing through the rule book trying to get a basic level of understanding. Maybe I should have gotten the sk's but I decided to go all out.

I think the forums will help me quite a bit. Are there any logs of games where I could replay a game and watch the rules in action? Sort of like replaying a chess game to better understand the rules and such?

Thanks

Kruemper

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hello All,

Since 1980 playing SL and after, ASL. Last 10 years only buying modules without play, but now I want to play again.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi, Repo and Kruemper,
Welcome around here.
I hope you'll find the ressources you are looking for here.
Feel free to contribute to the current debates: even if some seem to be heated, don't take things too seriously. ASL is just a game, and some forum members are... ahem.. special guys.:smoke: