New members introduce yourself here

SgtStahler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hoo-ah! Welcome Squike from another new-old-bie (old-new-bie..?) Yes, it certainly is nice to see that this hobby is alive and well and even fully moved into the 21st century - What Rodney and community have done with VASL is just amazing/cool. If you have any problems or issues at all getting it installed/running/finding opponents, feel free to post here or drop me a line, I can probably help you out on any of those counts... :)

Cheers!
Sean

Earthpig

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome squike:smoke: A lot of changes in the last 25 years but nothing insermountable:D Have fun with the forum there are some serious non-serious characters out here:laugh: :smoke:

dude163

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi all

I played SL and COI back in the early 80s, but then drifted out of wargames due to lack of opponents and time.

So now its 20+ years later and I tried a few modern games, ( PzGrenadier etc) but the one that looked the most fun was ASL , so I ordered the starter kit 3, and hooked up with 2 guys on VASL so they could show me the ropes.

Now Im rehooked, all I need to do is find the 2ed ruleset and a few modules and Im all set to go

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here, Dude163!
The SKs are really bringing back people to the (A)SL system.
I hope you will find the ressources you need around here.

hershmeister

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re-emerging from the darkness...

Hey folks,

I am finally returning to ASL after a long 10 year absence due to heavy job travel and 3 daughters! Played SL in the early 80's, and ASL when it came out. Even attended a couple of ASLOKs in the mid 90's. I had actively particpated in GEnie and the ASLML back in the day and am glad to see many familiar names on this site.

I couldn't accept not playing my favorite game any longer and have found a local player in my area (Nashville TN), and most importatnly found the time in my schedule and a very understanding wife, and am pleased to say I have played 4 scenarios in the past month! yay!

Fortunately I never sold off my stuff, and only have a few items needed to round out my collection , but lots of room on the 3rd party side to expand- its hard to believe how much stuff has come out! I'm not sure I will have the time for figuring out VASL - maybe one day - I still prefer FTF!

And for Anyone in the Nashville TN area - please give me a shout out!

Hersh

DeGaul

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello Everyone.

I'm new to ASL. I have the SK#3 and the ASL ver 2 rules and BV module. That is plenty to get me started:) . I'm reading the SK rules getting ready to play senario 22. So far the rules in the SK are clear for the most part. The vehichles will require a reread or two.

I've been a war gamer for years. This is my first time tackling a game of this magnitude. My past gaming has been SL, TR, ATS.

I'm inpressed with the detail in ASL and hope it fills my need for a more meaty game system

Degaul

senator

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello Everyone

I'm a new convert. I picked up ASL SK#3 seven days ago and I have been playing through the first scenario. I am totally impressed and somewhat overwhelmed by the level of detail.

I've been playing wargames for years but I must admit that I have taken a break for the last 10 or 15 years to get career going and experience travel through parts of the world. My love of wargaming has been impossible to extinguish so I am back at it.

Years and years ago I burned up many a weekend playing Flat Top, War at Sea, War in the West, and Battle of the Bulge. On the futuristic end I was heavily in to Freedom in the Galaxy which I still have a soft spot for and will play for the first time in 15 years with my #1 gaming partner...my brother in the weeks to come!

I have a lot of questions but so far most of them have been answered by searching through the posts. Thanks to you all for providing so much information for a newbie!

Jason

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome, DeGaul and Senator!

Be sure to ask anything you need in the rules section.

DSRGames

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New Here

I'm glad to be aboard !

I'm an old SLer (also PB/PL/AIW) gamer. I do a lot of miniature wargaming now as well (anyone going to Historicon this year ?). I always loved my SL and over the years have off-and-on played ASL. Now I've a vast collection of ASL stuff (including the final "Doomed Battalions" yay !).

What I want to do is make maps for the game. I have an inclination to do parts of Stalingrad 1 hex = 40 yards scale. Currently I've got some of the details for Northern Stalingrad down (Rynok through Spartakovka to just south of the Red Barricades Factory).

I also want to do maybe a few generic Russian villages. I have the ability to print color up to 40" wide on a variety of substrates with the ability to make maps of any hex-size as well. Would anyone be interested ? Let me know what you think.

My blog has some more info (dsrgames.blogspot.com)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome DSRgames.
I hope you will find the ressources and fun you are looking for.
Two precisions.
Doomed Batallions is not the last module.
It is Armies of Oblivion (Axis Minors).
About Stalingrad, do you know that two historical modules already have maps of parts of the city?
Red Barricades (1991) has the Red Barricades factories and environs.
Valor of the Guards (2007, hopefully) has the neighborhoud of the railway station.
Cheers.

Bortass

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I haven't played ASL in close to 7 years. I played the game for about 4 years.

The best game ever was playing Red barricades CG 1. It was amazing at what you'd see happen in a game that size. Light mortars keeping ROF for 7 shots. A stuka rolling 1,1 to hit a stack of infantry in a building only to roll a 6,6 dud for the effect. Taking a 12 -4 shot at a full stack of german Infantry that decided to not assault move across a road. They didn't make it ;)

I played a couple games via email and online using VASL back in the old days.

I'm hoping to get back into the game. I'm curious about the 2nd edition rules. Do I need to seriously consider getting them or am I fine with Ver 1?

Javaslinger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I still haven't figured out the 'exact' differences.... though I think I know the rules better now than I did back in the day. (I'm a returning player myself)

Welcome back!!

Javaslinger

Bortass

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I just ordered the RB sans binder from MMP, along with a few maps. Hopefully I can find some people to play. good thing VASL is still around.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome, Bortass! :)
I hope you will find all that you are looking for around here.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm hoping to get back into the game. I'm curious about the 2nd edition rules. Do I need to seriously consider getting them or am I fine with Ver 1?
IMO you can do well with the first edition. The rules that substantially changed are Human Wave, Wall Advantage, and... uh. minor changes to Platoon Movement.

I think there are summaries of the "new" rules on this board (but I'm not sure where).

OTOH, the 2nd edition is well worth getting. It has alot of the v1 errata incorporated in it and it has LOTS more in the way of examples.

Sam

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome all!

Yes, RBv2 is worth the cash even without the binder. Be sure to hit Ole's sticky errata (link at the bottom of his sigs which can be found all over the errata pages)

scottielu

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Suppose I should introduce myself. I have been playing sporadically for almost a year here in Wichita. Have had the opportunity to play F2F with a great group of guys. They have a "club" and frequently travel to tourneys and arrange matchings with the devils from OK and the folks from KC. I just recently started posting and reading the forum because I am sick of school and need a release!

I bought BV back in 1986,and the ASLRB in 1989 never played it. Bought a partial collection in 2001 but never played it, so it was finally time to learn how.

Anywhoo.....hope to meet/play as many aslers as I can, so far if they are as weird as the ones I have met, I should fit right in!