The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here, Josh!
I hope you will find the ressources you need and the fun you like, here.:)

Pergite

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi

I am 26 and live in Sweden. The Army pays my bills and keep me occupied during the weeks.

I finally decided to take the leap and get a taste of the fabled ASL. I spent last a week with the ASLSK#1 trying to make the best of the rules before finally getting a couple of scenarios under my belt this last weekend together with a good friend. We where hooked and it felt like it was a very long time ago a weekend passed that fast.

I have been lurking around this ASL forum as well as pretty much everywhere else on the internet during my study sessions with the rules and now belive that I at least master the most basic rules i.e those included in the starterkit.

I am currently opting on getting the full rules, or wait and get the next to SK´s instead when they are available. On thing is however sure, and that is that I will probably have alot of question and need for advice in my future ASL endevours, and I am hoping that the expertise here can give me a hint or two on the way.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Welcome aboard!!!

Ask any question you like as there are usually more answers than questions in any case. (Actually about one answer per fourm member)

Some answers will be...
Correct
Incorrect
Funny:laugh:
angry:mad:
distrustful:eek:
idiotic:freak:
silly:paperbag:
commented on:surprise:

but this just one big happy family where all the ASL siblings love to argue with each other (mostly in fun).:clown:

SS

spwhites

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings!

I was a big fan of "Ambush!" and played a lot in the mid to late '80s. I was always tempted by ASL (which was pretty new at that time), but the rulebook scared me away. I stopped playing board games for a while during college, etc. In the late '90s, I got interested again and decided to take another shot at learning ASL. I bought BV, Paratrooper and Yanks, but even with Jim Stahler's Programmed Instructions, I couldn't cram all those rules in my head, and was too shy to try to find an opponent that would be willing to teach me.

Fast forward to 2007 - I still can't get this game out of my head so I decided to give the system another try (third time's the charm, right?). I've had ASL Starter Kits 1 & 2 for a while, and I somehow managed to convince my wife to play a few scenarios with me. We've played about 7 ASLSK games, and are pretty comfortable with the starter kit rules. I'm learning the ordnance, guns rules from ASLSK#2 now, and having a blast! I'm still hesitant to delve into the ASLRB, but I've definitely built up some confidence now that I'm learning and playing with the starter kit rules.

This is a fantastic game, but I'm always amazed to find other people who have mastered the rulebook. I think part of my problem is that I hate the idea of playing the game "wrong" by neglecting a rule, but I'm starting to accept the fact that rules errors are just part of the game.

Anyway, this forum is clearly a great tool for a newbie like me. Looking forward to feeding my new addiction, and hopefully taking the plunge into ASL in the near future!

-Bryant

Bryant,
Welcome; any chance I can get your wife to talk to mine? Tried multiple times to get the wife and kids interested in ASL- no luck. :paperbag:
Even tried bribes...no response :eek:
Let us in on your secret...
Steve
...maybe we can get together on VASL and play sometime...

b2thahizo

Reaction score
Bryant,
Welcome; any chance I can get your wife to talk to mine? Tried multiple times to get the wife and kids interested in ASL- no luck. :paperbag:
Even tried bribes...no response :eek:
Let us in on your secret...
Steve
...maybe we can get together on VASL and play sometime...
Hey, Steve. I wish there was a secret. Basically, I was just lucky in love ;) - she knew how badly I wanted to learn this system, and that the only real way to learn is by playing. So, after I had learned the rules, I walked her through the rules as we played. She ended up having a lot of fun playing, and she often catches rule mistakes that I make, which is even better!
For what it's worth, if you can convince your wife to try a game, at a minimum, I bet she'll have fun (even if she doesn't get bit by the ASL bug).

We should definitely play VASL sometime.

Cheers,
-Bryant

TSUN

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi everyone!
Sleeper surfacing: I´m another ASL-playing Swede, living in Gothenburg on the Swedish westcoast. I've been playing ASL on&off for some years but not frequently enough to be good at it (about 10 scenarios per year).
I'm 42, married with small kids, so time is scarce for FtF ASL. Instead I'm going to try out some PBEM VASL. Will be looking for opponents soon.

BR/ Thomas Sundell

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here Thomas !
Feel at home and take your place!

Chris Drake

Capitalist Pig
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I signed up a about a year ago and forgot all about this place.

I've been playing ASL for about 4 years, most recently a I have played the Red Barricades campaign game and whilst we only made it about four or five days, it was a blast. Before that I had played the Squad Leader series since about 1985 and refused to switch (glad now I did).
I'm hoping to down load VASL someday (as soon as I can figure out how to do it), so I can get started playing again.
Anyway, I just wanted to shout out a quick hello.

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've had ASL Starter Kits 1 & 2 for a while, and I somehow managed to convince my wife to play a few scenarios with me.
Uh... you better lock her up. The ASL playing woman is like the *holy grail* around here, i.e. only a myth, etc.

If it turns out to be true you'll probably find your doorstep darkened by dorkdom!

JT

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello all,

Just joining this forum, taking the opportunityto introduce myself.

Been playing since old SL. Played a lot of ASL over the years. I used to live in the next block of flats (apartments) to my main opponent and we'd play four nights a week. Down to two nights a week now (total of about six hours) as I moved further away. Play at tourneys here in the UK, plus other visitors on some Sundays.

I've been to ASLOK three times, built it into holdays in the US, met a lot of people, most of whom I got on with. Many good friends made playing ASL.

I co-ran the Berserk! ASL tournament in Blackpool for six years before it all got a bit much. The Berserk ASL Tournament Unofficial Website

Was a member of the ASLML for a good length of time but got pretty depressed at the flaming... not least because I allowed myself to be sucked in. Shan't be doing that here.

Anyhow, this forum looks pretty good.

I'll close with my favourite joke:

Why did Karl Marx only drink herbal tea?
Because proper tea is theft.

Last edited:

fireboy

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey Guys,

Just thought I would post and say hi. I'm very new to ASL, so new in fact I haven't even played a game yet. I just picked up the manual the other day and have started reading through it and I plan on picking up beyond valor this week.

If there's anyone from the Vancouver BC area that has an ASL group going or knows of one where I can watch and learn that would help out HUGE! This book is very in depth and talk to experience players would really help

Matt

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Guys,

Just thought I would post and say hi. I'm very new to ASL, so new in fact I haven't even played a game yet. I just picked up the manual the other day and have started reading through it and I plan on picking up beyond valor this week.

If there's anyone from the Vancouver BC area that has an ASL group going or knows of one where I can watch and learn that would help out HUGE! This book is very in depth and talk to experience players would really help

Matt
This would be a great place to start. Seems like a very good group;
http://forums.gamesquad.com/asl-announcements-tournament-info/47471-2007-vancouver-asl-rumble-tournament.html

2007 West Coast Tournament Rules

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey Guys,

Matt
You are in luck. Go to the announcements in this forum. There is an ASL tournement the beginning of May, just over two weeks away. George Kellin in the tournement director. Get a hold of him.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Matt,

As a new player, I encourage you to PM Miguel for his donation of an ASL Starter Kit #1. Playing some Starter Kit scenarios will really help you get up to speed.

Check out Miguel's thread in this forum. Welcome to a fantastic hobby!

Bigkayeh

Court Jester of absurdity
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
old asler returning

If you look at my join date, you might be puzzled by my posting here now. I joined back then when I was toying with the idea of returning to ASL but didn't do much back then. I have some nephews who have become interested in those games on Uncle Kerry's shelves so I pulled out the rule book a couple of months ago and began to familiarize with the rules again. I remembered this site and began to lurk (skulk?) for awhile.

I began this hobby in grade school watching and then playing my older brother on a borrowed copy of Gettysburg. He bought Squad Leader when I was in high school and I was so infatuated with it I had to get my own copy. When ASL came out I was hooked and had to have everything but I never could get any of the guys I gamed against to play it, they were just casual gamers.

I moved in 92 and continued to buy what I could but never found anyone to play so it got shelved until recently. I have all the first edition modules except DB. I have SoF, HH, RB, KGP1, A89-A95 and most of the General scenarios(along with the Generals in which they came).

I hope to teach my nephews (maybe ASLSK?) and will probably give the VASL thing a try. This place is great and would have kept me in back when I left(but AL Gore hadn't invented the internet yet, at least not in my life).

Thanks all and remember I am just one of the ancient newbies.

Kerry

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Welcome back, Bigkayeh.

I encourage you to get acquainted w/ VASL as you get back into ASL. No doubt, your nephs can help you get it installed & running.

'S great you're introducing them to the hobby, too - even if they don't cotton to it right away, IMO they're sure to become 'ancient newbs' in the future.

afelix1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Newest Old New ASLer

It’s funny (not HA HA funny either if you are me) but I have owned map board 1 since I first purchased SL back in the early 80's. In fact all of my first 12 boards come from the original SL games. I was able to play a few scenarios from those days against a good opponent but the US Army had other plans and sent us on our separate paths. Then I came home from a couple of overseas tours and discovered this ASL rulebook in a hobby store! That was in the late 80's. I bought all of the modules as they surfaced by never played them against another sole. So off they went into a box, in a corner, in a room, in a part of the house that no one goings into (i.e. the attic). This lack of play didn't stop me from buying the new modules as I found them. I had a brief period in 2002-04(I think) when I began playing via VASL. That was about the most rewarding time with ASL as it allowed me to unlearn all those rules I had incorrectly taught myself playing solitaire. If I would have stayed with it I would probably not have to post this but life has a way of making us take stock and reprioritize.

So why am I here? I have a small fortune in ASL and I want to play. I see VASL and skype (or some other VOIP) as an excellent way of playing this great game. I may need some reminding but I am willing to stay focused. I live in Ellicott City, Maryland. Infantry only for now but I am hoping that won't last for more than a month or so.

Chameleon

Purveyor of Cacaphony
Reaction score
Another new guy - hide the valuables, put away the breakables....

I'm just getting back into the game after a roughly 4-year hiatus. I re-registered for the ASLML and was puzzled at the lack of traffic on that list - had everyone quit playing in the last four years? Would I have NO opponents now? Was it MY FAULT that everyone quit?

Nah. I just found out that most everyone migrated here. ;)

Anyway, I hope to have something to contribute in a discussion or two along the way. Maybe even something insightful, intelligent, or witty. BUt I tend to doubt it. 8p