2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Happy ASL

Greeting to all.
Bill Conner here.
Started with Squad Leader in 78 as a birthday present. Being a former Squad Leader, this was the game for me. In fact, Scenario 9 had my unit, the 509th PIB. Dove into COI right after. In 79, met up with hometown Bro and COI Most Valuable Player, Bob McNamara. Bob was running a Squad Leader Tournament and my gunning partner, Jim Kalmer(German Hero from Paratrooper), and I finished in the top 2. We became playtesters for Bob with COD, The Battalion Command Game and then GI. Bob was working on the Desert Module and had a contract but got the call from Don Greenwood offering employment at AH to work on ASL. They worked things out and we moved Bob and Barb down to Baltimore. The rest is history.

In 85(could've been 84 or ?) I went to the Squad Leader Open held in North Carolina and run by Don Munsell. Also met Ray Woloszyn and Rob Weissbard there. Besides the fact that I won, the Squad Leader Open was the first tourney which was Round-Robin and not single elimination. With many SL+ players only playing SL+, the single elim tourneys were not very fair in that half of the participants were finished and might as well go home after round 1. Sadly, Don was killed in a car accident shortly thereafter and (long story short) On All Fronts took over the SL Open. In December of 85 the ASLRB was published.

Darryl "Action Burk" Burk my SL+ (then ASL) playing partner suggested that I should run a tourney. At first we thought that it would be a combo tourney not just ASL but also SL-GI. We decided to go ASL only and ASLOK was born. We ran it for 10 years and played last in 95.

Since 95 our only ASL activity has been our yearly visit to ASLOK.
Red Barricades CGIII was always our favorite.

In December 94, I (along with Randy Rossi, Ray Woloszyn, Kurt Martin, Brian Martuzas) went to my favorite tourney of all time, Recontres which was held in Le Gleize across from the King Tiger and a BotB Musee. Lots of WW2 50th Anniversary doodoo was happening and I hit about 2 dozen museums while traveling. Great stuff!
Since 95, my aged parents required more and more my of assistance putting a crimp on my gunning time. Mom passed on November 19th in 2002 and Dad passed the same day 2 years later. Strangely my Dad's Brother, whose namesake I carry, was MIA on Nov 19,1944 during the Battle of the Hurtegen Forest. He was a BAR man in the 26th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division.
Dad and 6 of his Brothers(and 5 of his Sisters' husbands) all served in WW2. All served Overseas save the oldest Brother-in-law who had grandchildren at the time. I think our family was responsible for shortening WW2 by at least a week. :clown:
Dad rode into Normandy and Holland on Waco as part of the 82nd, did Bulge and Ludwiglust and ended up in Berlin until 46. He rejoined the Army and 82nd less than a year later, became a Paratrooper, and in 49 was sent to Germany where he served in the 1st ID and met my Mom(the Nazi). They married, moved back to the States, had me, moved back to Germany, had my Bro, moved back to Ft. Campbell, then to back to my Dad's hometown of Youngstown where Dad retired as a ROTC Instructor in 64.

Currently, I'm part of the 82nd Airborne Association Color/Honor Guard. We honor fallen Paratroopers with Funeral and Calling Hours Ceremonies.

Don't forget to take care Sgt. Conner 8-1 USA, Connerski 1-4-9 Polish, Lt Posson 9-1(it's supposed to be Poisson=Fish), Cpt Sakana 10-1 Japanese, and Col Yu 6+1 Chinese. The last 3 = Fish. Take care of Darryl's guys too; Sgt Burk 8-1 USA and Cpt Doa10-0(Action).
Thanks

Last edited:

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the post, 2 Bit Bill! You're always welcome here.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
THAT, fellas, is an ASL resume!

The rest of you (yours truly included) are posers. Great to have you aboard Bill!
Please! I'll have you know I've played a dozen scenarios in a little over a year! I guess that makes me an asler. :eek: But I've been buying the official stuff since the beginning... that makes me an ASLer. :hurray:

Seriously though, nice to have the dudes responsible for the game showing up with their stories. :toast:

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
funny how Bill's been playing for only a year longer than I but has a much longer 'history' with the game. Also funny how it's my grandfather that's got the WWII experience (10th Mountain Division, thank you very much.) Bill, we've got current high-schoolers just picking up the game, too!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here, Bill !
ASL does have a link with history, personal at least.
My British grandfather served in Burma (Lt-Col Frontier Force, then Brigadier).
My Swiss grandfather served in Switzerland, building fortifications near Geneva (he was an architect in civilian life).
My Alsacian father-in-law was drafted in the Wehrmacht, part of an 88 crew on the East front.
When playing ASL, one cannot put away some impressions about one's familiy ties (more psychological than anything else).

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks,
Besides the military on my Dad's side;
Opa Baumgartner served the Kaiser and got Malaria while in Thrace. Never knew him as he died in 1933. My Oma's 2 brothers also served but I think they were on the Western Front. Those old photos with spiked helmets are cool.

I think my Mom's Step-Father (Bauer) was in last gasp city defense unit as none of the guys in the photo look younger than 60 and a few have eye patches. I think he may have trained dogs.

Mom also had a cousin Fritz, who was Fallschrimjaeger. I think he may have been captured in Cherborg.

Nikon53

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[QUOTE

Don't forget to take care Sgt. Conner 8-1 USA, Connerski 1-4-9 Polish, Lt Posson 9-1(it's supposed to be Poisson=Fish), Cpt Sakana 10-1 Japanese, and Col Yu 6+1 Chinese. The last 3 = Fish. Take care of Darryl's guys too; Sgt Burk 8-1 USA and Cpt Doa10-0(Action).
Thanks[/QUOTE]

GROFAZ! Thanks Bill. Reading your bio was like a trip back, a welcome return. Had forgotten Cpt Sakana.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Bill,

If there was a gaming/ASL hall of fame, you would be an initial inductee.

Most all of us pale in comparison!

Peace

Roger

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Why is this directed at me?

It was that canadian dude fella who was asking if I was a sepratist or not.

Corin
Corin, we discovered that your first post was not sent from Quebec, but Chicago.
You are another SH avatar.
Your posts and related reactions will now be moved to the toxic waste dump.
As explained in the sticky thread about multiple accounts, you are now banned.

Last edited:

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bill,

If there was a gaming/ASL hall of fame, you would be an initial inductee.

Roger
Perry sez dope will keep me out of the ASL Hall Of Fame.

I didn't know that weed was a performance enhancing drug. I always considered it "half my brain tied behind my back just to make it fair" and that I was "having more fun that a human should be allowed." :laugh: Anybody got any Oreos?

But I never bet against myself and besides,:smoke: Dr. Dalmuder gave me a prescription :vegguitar: If you want to see it you'll have to pay. :nuts:

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
“Perry sez dope will keep me out of the ASL Hall Of Fame.”

Well if I am a HoF voter, I will not hold it against you:D

”I didn't know that weed was a performance enhancing drug. I always considered it "half my brain tied behind my back just to make it fair" and that I was "having more fun that a human should be allowed." Anybody got any Oreos?”

I do not know WHAT you are talking about…..:smoke:

Peace

Roger

PS we need more milk……

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
".......and if he plays Strato."

I am an APBA guy myself....

:cool:

Peace

Roger

Bulwyf

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings...

Greetings from far far west Texas. (El Paso to be exact)

My name is Will DeMorris and I thought I would introduce myself. I've been lurking on these forums for several months now after getting back into ASL. Its been nice to find a place where I can read the opinions and exploits of other like-minded ASL fans.

I first discovered ASL back in the late 80s although I didn't put serious effort into learning the game until I was in college. Over the years my friend Frank and I have played ASL off and on as we both have a deep interest in the history of WW II and wargaming in general. Last summer we decided to get into ASL again after discovering the ASL Starter Kits. We've played a few scenarios out of each and are slowly re-learning the rules for a jump into the full game.

Other than ASL I enjoy all sorts of games with my friends and family. Anything from Euros to Wargames and I'm fairly active on the Board Game Geek forums. Currently I'm busy raising my two boys to be good future gamers and to humor dad when he asks to play a wargame. This leaves me with plenty of spare time to surf ASL sites while they are either asleep or busy playing.

Again, I just wanted to say hello and ask that you dont flame me too badly if I ask something dumb. :smoke:

-Will