New members introduce yourself here

Eric Westfere

Reaction score
not at this time. Busy with work and the family. On sat. nights after the wife and watch a movie I go down into my basement and play red barricades. Man do I love that one! Of course my wife thinks that I am crazy playing by myself, but what the hell. I have a buddy that comes over once in a great while and we have a long weekend of asl.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Eric:

Welcome to the forums. If you don't have FTF time, I urge you to try VASL. It's made a world of difference for me.

machelite

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llHong Kong
Hello all, I am a ASLer in Hong Kong and I started playing ASL since 1986.So Bad all my buddy just fade away.I still buy ASL products and enjoy reading AAR.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to the world of ASL Forums.

If you want, the VASL folder has applications you can download to play ASL online with others throughout the world.

Please enjoy your stay and visit here more often.

The AARs are very informative and worth reading.

Again, welcome to the ASL Forums.

brian s

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello From the Windy City

Hello all,

My name is Brian from Chicago, IL and I'm coming back to ASL after a long hiatus. I've already been in touch with some local players and am looking forward to getting back into it. Now I guess I should see about getting a 2nd edition rule book...

Jim

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hey guys, i'm new from sengo and i am interested in basically console and PC gaming, i dont know much about ASL etc but i am eager to learn what it is :D

Ewan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Im Ewan, brought in with the merge. I am happy with the merge and from the members i have talked to your forum it seems like a nice place. I am a console gamer and am looking forward to the next generation of gaming :D

Canadian Dude

Malicious Maniac
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello everybody

This is the ASL corner of the forums. ASL = Advanced Squad Leader = BEST GAME EVER!!!!

No seriously, it is. ASL is a board game which represents squad level tactics. So you generally control squads and tanks. This is the only game that sacrafices playability for realism. The rule book.... well lets just say its big enough to use as a weapon and kill someone.

I myself am the resident teenager of the ASL forums. Most of this people are on the verge of.... with there the age of death, so me being a teen and playing is pretty rare. None the less, the game is amazing, and you should get it. Ask around, I'm sure you can find someone saying "dont worry kid, the first ones free..." :devious: :smoke:

the comes the addiction....

Not recommend for those who still want to maintain relationships with wife.

- The Canadian Dude

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Hello all, I am a ASLer in Hong Kong and I started playing ASL since 1986.So Bad all my buddy just fade away.I still buy ASL products and enjoy reading AAR.
IN HONG KONG??!!!!

I travel there frequently for work. My next trip is gonna be around late February, early March.

Want to get together for a game? Small and simple or big and complex would work for me. I did get a change to play The Last Bid at the US consulate in Guangzhou in January of '02.

Drop me a PM if you're into playing.

Jazz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hey guys, i'm new from sengo and i am interested in basically console and PC gaming, i dont know much about ASL etc but i am eager to learn what it is :D
Im Ewan, brought in with the merge. I am happy with the merge and from the members i have talked to your forum it seems like a nice place. I am a console gamer and am looking forward to the next generation of gaming :D
Cain - Came with merge - happy to be here :D
Hi... errr... I'm Brad.... And im an addict.... TO X-G!!!
Seriously i am!
Hello, Jim, Ewan, Cain and Bradas!
:banana: Welcome around here ! :coolban:
You will see that the world of ASL is quite different from console gaming.
Here we will debate about the obscure effects of a minor rule change, as if the destiny of the Free World was at hand.
We do love to read and digest about 300 pages of quite complex rules and we like to play on a table, with cardboard rather than silicium.
Well, things have slightly evolved, since there exists a free program, called VASL, which helps us play online or via email (but it only is an emulator : not an 'intelligent' program).
Most of us are 30-45 y. o. and some of us do tend to grumble like grandfathers...
BUT, thank you very much for having stuck your nose around here and having said hello.
If you were interested in our "niche" hobby, feel at home.​

Calimero

a.k.a "jp"
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Here we will debate about the obscure effects of a minor rule change, as if the destiny of the Free World was at hand.
But its destiny is at hand. I mean, as soon as the free world wants to cross a river without getting his feet wet.:nuts:

pdutram

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello and Help

Hello, my name is Paul Dutram and I live in Waterville, Maine. My son and I have been into ASL (and many other board games) for about a year now. We have almost all ASL modules and scenario packs plus hundreds of scenarios collected from the internet. You could say we are "still learning the rules" and often play "simplified games" in ignorance.

As there are several countries and time periods in WWII that we are especially interested in, I began a list of ASL scenarios in chronological order by date of battle. Imagine my surprise to find so many gaps in this information! :surprise: For the past six months I have been working on filling these gaps (I'm retired with a lot of time on my hands), as well as adding information on ASL scenarios from around the world that are not currently in the CoW (the latest version of which I found just recently on this forum - that's what I get for reading the wrong threads!). I will be happy to share this information with all if you would find it useful.

Even if it is only useful to me, I would like to complete it. Could someone with the latest Vae Victis magazines give me ID#, Title, Protagonists, Location, and Date on the ASL scenarios in issues #64, 66, and 68? (As you can guess, this is no CoW, but some of this information may prove useful to that worthy and valuable effort.)

Thank you,
Paul

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome, Paul! Hopefully someone with these volumes can help you out.

Have you seen this site from one of our members here? A local guy has also worked on a site where you could, say, enter a board # and pull up all scenarios with that board; or enter 'Italians at Night' or 'snow rules' and get all scenarios with those parameters. Wouldn't you know it, I can't find that site right now. It was something like Tigr or something.

pdutram

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have been to the ASL Scenario Archive, thank you Alan. Believe I've followed several links to the Tigr site you mentioned also, only to find they were broken. Still working my way through lots of threads on several forums though.

vette114

Lurker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am new to ASL, a few years ago i bought the rules, BV, Yank and then left them on the shelf, (I can remember reading rob delwoods KGP AAR over and over thinking it sounded so cool) after several years of no opponents and no VASL i decided to sell them, my beyond valor even had RB. big mistake needless to say, lately i have become interested in more accurate simulations of WWII tactics, I haven't been able to find a good PC game that can do it for me. I have picked up a few other games, like Band of Heroes, I also dug out my old copies of Squad Leader with all three of the Modules, (I didn't get to play these either no opponents)

Well i just bought up the ASL rules and even snagged a copy of SASL (I wanted to get it for the future since its so hard to find now) and plan on picking up beyond valor sometime after christmas. i have already met a couple of ya on VASL and so as soon as i can get my ASL SK#2 I'm gonna get started!!

pdutram

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Vae Victis #68 info needed

Thanks to responses, I now only need details on the ASL scenario in Vae Victis #68

Title, Protagonists, Location, Date

Anyone have that issue?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Well i just bought up the ASL rules and even snagged a copy of SASL (I wanted to get it for the future since its so hard to find now) and plan on picking up beyond valor sometime after christmas. i have already met a couple of ya on VASL and so as soon as i can get my ASL SK#2 I'm gonna get started!!
Welcome here ! :ciao:
You will find the Rules and Errata section quite useful (use the "forum search" utility, when looking for a given topic : many questions have been adressed). Don't hesitate to ask questions : even experienced players are still learning things (hey, I discovered, yesterday, that the -1 FFMO DRM applied to OVR vs a unit entrenched in Open Ground !).

Have a nice day

Robin​

dwilliams1966

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, guys. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Doug and I am a new player who lives in Johnson City, TN. I did play the original SL back in high school. I have played a few games over the course of this year with dfirestine using starter kit rules. We plan to play more frequently in '07 and I have also recently been contacted by another local player so we will hopefully have some more ASL action going on here in the Tri-Cities soon. I do plan to move to full ASL and I also hope to try VASL before long. My ASL collection is taking shape nicely thanks to some lucky eBay sales I've been making of various things.

For as long as I can remember, I have been interested in WW2 history. It probably started with reading Sgt. Rock comics back in the '70s. :laugh:

Well, that's enough about me. These forums are great! Looking forward to hopefully having some useful input into some of your discussions in the future.

-Doug