New members introduce yourself here

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Hello, my name is Bart Pisarik and I live in Marion, Iowa."

and Bart is setup to play a scenario/get absorbed into the Borg that is the thriving eastern Iowa ASL scene next Tues!

Welcome Bart. I look forward to getting you up to speed. The over/under on you beating me is 3 scenarios by the way. The locals are apparently unimpressed with my abilities!

Darrell

kmunoz

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Newbie alert

I just joined the forum a couple days ago, which was only a couple weeks after I started looking into ASL. I'm reading through the rules at this point and haven't started looking for other players in my area (Atlanta, GA) to guide me, mainly because I really enjoy reading rules. Anyway, eventually I'll be searching for folks in the area (or perhaps anywhere, with VASL) who can introduce me to actually playing ASL.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome, kmunoz! You can play scenarios with only a small percentage of the rules in the rulebook. We have a thread for 'introductory scenarios', too.

capt kronz

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Salutations Kommeraden!

My name is Gus Christenson and I am originally from Omro Wisconsin. I played squad leader many years ago, picked up ASL about a year and a half ago. I have accumulated a sizeable collection of ASL stuff, and have played often.....unfortunately not with other ASL players. I have played countless scenarios where I am both attacker and defender. I may not be the greatest ASL player, however I have spent hours studying rules, playing on my
own, and would like the opportunity to play. My day job is building maintenance which entail’s a little bit of most trades. I’m also a big fan of the Stalingrad movie, hence my avatar of Capt Kronz.

I am a very private person, but if this helps keep the forum vigilantes off your back as well as mine, then have a nice read my friends.

Capt Kronz

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To everyone: Please use this to introduce new members/welcome new members.

Thanks.

Jack Campbell

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya-

Long time lurker, recent member. Been playing ASL here in Gary In. for oh about 15 years. As far as work, I am a contractor for the city. I dont do VASL, prefer FtF instead. Anyway, thats it about me.

Jack

dustyrd

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New Guy

Hello, I'm Dan Rhodes and live in Dahlonega, GA. I joined the forum in Apr 04 while in Iraq. Was planning on getting actively involved in ASL once I returned but family, commitments, blah, blah, blah...Anyway, I've been checking the forum getting a lay of the land for a few months now and decided it was time to jump in. Even used the Frapper Map link to find a guy 10 miles from me and we are getting together in the next few weeks for ASLSK#1. Looking forward to getting my feet wet!:D

Started wargaming in the mid 70's with AH Third Reich as my starting point and got hooked like everyone else does initially. Jumped aboard the original SL-GI and played my only FtF games in SL during the early 80's. Co-hosted a wargame tournament in mid 80's while stationed in Darmstadt, Germany. Right at the time ASL was being introduced and I hopped on by getting the 1st Ed rules. Unfortunately, my then three year old niece got hold of them and managed to destroy several chapters :upset: Never got another set until last year when I got the 2nd Ed rules. However, like someone else I read on the forum, I continued to follow along and buy the modules as they were released along with Third Party Products. So, my collection is very large but very unused...and no, not interested in selling any!:p

I'm retired from the Army after 21+ years, taught JROTC in high school for three years, have an MA in History and now I'm a kept man. My wife is a computer crime investigator for the Army Crime Lab in Atlanta and I am free to complete my basement gameroom (done as of my birthday last Sunday! :laugh: I can barely get her to play anything other than checkers but I did manage a game of MB Broadsides. Talk about an old game but, hey, its a start. We have five kids with the youngest being 15. All the others are out of the house and I was never able to get any of them interested in any type of strategy game other than chess. Although I am about to embark on another career...starting back to school to be an accountant in January, something I want to be when I grow up, I am hyped to be finally getting into ASL:clown:

Brien Martin

Panthera oncia
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome, Dan!!

Let me tell you, as an accountant, that your degree, when you finish, will be of absolutely no help to you in your ASL game. After all, any game where 4 + 3 = 6 is no game for someone whose existence is all about transactions being in balance.

Enjoy!!

Brien

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome, Dan! Glad to hear that Frappr worked for you, too.

aborel

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi everyone,

looks like I forgot to introduce myself before I posted my first message... I had registered on the SZO forums long ago, but I never actually visited them (I normally prefer the ASLML and Consimworld).

Anyway, here I am: Alain Borel, Swiss citizen (Lausanne area) and ASL player (irregularly) since 1999.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here, Alain.

Robin, only about 25 miles away from you.;)

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
First off - even though I have been a member of this board as a whole for a while, it struck me that a fair bet of the Australian population on this site posts only in the ASL area. I know a couple of you, and have not really been all that in touch for a good while.

So in light of this, and as sort of a point of reference I felt it might be important to introduce myself to those of you who don't know me, as well as provide an update for those that do.

First off, after spending the better part of the year getting paperwork together, and submitted, &tc.. I am proud to say that I will be relocating to Oz basically in December. There is still a little work to do here to get that done, but the paperwork and authorisations are all in.

I can honestly say that my perceptions of Australia from whence I began as a staff member at the former partner site to this place, and the reality that you and others have shown me were two entirely different things. I appreciate very much, the cultural education that I have received -and no doubt will continue to receive. An example of this is - in the 80's they used to have an ad on the tellie here -Paul Hogan was selling Fosters -- their slogan was: "Foster's - its Australian for beer." -Well actually in reality it is probably -if Australians ever think about Foster's -which I don't assume they do - but a more apt slogan might have been ".. its Australian for urine (well the 4 letter word for it -:D ) "

Military Hobbies/Gaming et al: This is sorta my resume -- a huge part of my hobbies are devoted towards military history. I did not realize this but too long ago, but I take them seriously, sometimes more seriously than some people whose livlihood comes from that same topic.

I collect:

>1:6th scale figures, mainly from WWII, but also from any period that interests me; I don't have much in the way of modern figures (there just is way too damned many of them out there anyway).

> various scale plastic models, but generally 1:72nd scale aircraft, 1:700 scale waterline ships, 1:35th scale armour.

> various scale wargaming miniatures, but mainly 1:2400th scale warships, and 1:285th scale armour - mostly WWII.

> wargames, I guess one could call me old(er) school, although not old-est school. I started playing the things in Junior High (about 13 or 14 years old I think - possibly 12). My first game was War at Sea, my second was WS/IM - both bought at a drug store (chemist). I have played most of the old AH stand-bys, and really enjoyed SL, through CoD. I got into ASL right about the time I started with regular employment - I never found the time to learn it, and ulitmately sold it all off when a former partner made me feel guilty for having 'toys' (which is how I became a Power-Seller on Ebay basically... haven't sold anything there in years, however). Lately I have focussed on GMT and AP stuff, and am mainly focussed on series' -which was a holdover from the days where I had decided I was too old ot learn many different games -and would try to get some sort of continuity in my 'gaming-life'.

-Other Hobbies:

> Ice Hockey - apparently this is some sort of therapy, also an indulgence to keep my activity levels up, as I am a diabetic that basically has doctor's order to play (damn- well if you say so Doc :D)...

> Photography - I've been told I am pretty good, not beating my own drum so much as to comment on how uncharacteristic it has felt for people I don't even know - at my former job, come up to me and start talking about my shots I have had posted around my cubicle ( yes I was imprisoned in one of those bastards :p ) I got osme shots up in a gallery at my website- but since this is not me pimping my webpage, I'll leave that off for now.

> Computer gaming - I'm big on Tiller designs -probably because his stuff initially reminded me of one of my favourite Civil War games ever - Terrible Swift Sword ( about Gettysburg- put out by SPI about 1976 or 77). I don't play much online, and frankly my participation had been erractic to downright unreliable in the past year or more, apologies to all affected if any ever read this. I also am big into EA's NHL series... :D

- Future plans: In the process of formulating a military hobby related business plan. I guess one can call this the "market research phase." (Ok I technically, just made that up). I'd had a handle on it in the States, but there are some different factors in Australia.

Ok - kinda long - I oughta save the url and just link to it :/ :D

Sarjent Mike

Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
I've made a few posts, remain adamantly and unashamedly supportive of anyone who publishes ASL products and am grateful to Curt Schilling and the guys at MMP who perform their labor of love to keep things going.

I live in Colorado Springs and its been very difficult to find opponents in this community of about 600,000. Most of the other gamers are into the minatures thing, Flames of War or something.

I've been playing ASL since 1986, have everything officially published and a slew of third party products as well. Since I've no one to game with at the moment, I'm mainly an ardent collector.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I've been playing ASL since 1986, have everything officially published and a slew of third party products as well. Since I've no one to game with at the moment, I'm mainly an ardent collector.
Welcome over here!
Have you heard about VASL?
With it, you can play online or by email with many different players.
Using a vocal device such as skype makes it quite near to a FtF experience.
Living myself in Switzerland (a 7 million community) and working on week-ends most of the time, VASL really has opened me to non solitaire play...
Also, how does one go about getting a picture on the left hand side of their posts?
Click on the "User CP" link (some way up your page). You will be able to choose your avatar among all those provided by Xtreme- Gamer.
If you want to have a custom avatar, you'll have to pay to become member of Xtreme-Gamer's club.

Have a good time on this forum.
There are some "special" people here (me included)... but what kind of personality can be attracted by ASL, if not "special" people? :laugh:

Eric Westfere

Reaction score
hello from ohio

I have been playing asl off and on for a long couple of years. Starting with squad leader when it first came out, my dad got it for me for christmas in 1978. Then took alittle break from board games,(discovered girls):clown:

Then in highschool my best friend showed me asl. Feel in love with the game,and have kept up with it through my adult life. Of course my wife doesent under stand the game, but she lets me enjoy my hobby:p I have been married for 6 years and have a little 3 year old girl that we adopted from china two years ago. So my playing time is somewhat short.

Canadian Dude

Malicious Maniac
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey man. Welcome to the forums. Just be warned, I think someone else in the ASL forum is using your current avatar. Not a biggy or a no-no, just be warned that if you see posts from yourself that you never wrote, you're not on drugs :clown:

- The Canadian Dude

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome Eric! Ohio is big-time ASL country; do you have regular FtF opponents?