Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi, TheVegeet!
Welcome here!:joy:
I do hope you'll quickly feel at home.
I merged your thread to the "New to the forum? Introduce yourself" one.
If you are looking for some VASL coaching, you can post a demand in the Opponents wanted subforum.

hanbaal

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hello all. Im just here trying to find out if i can get the original squad leader rules as i have a bunch of old suppliments but no rulebook.
or at least what do the numbers on the counters stand for?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
or at least what do the numbers on the counters stand for?
For a squad : firepower, normal range, morale
For a leader : morale, leadership (the "-" is a minus, not a separator).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hello all. Im just here trying to find out if i can get the original squad leader rules as i have a bunch of old suppliments but no rulebook.
You'd better buy a Starter Kit : it contains basic rules, maps, counters and scenarios that introduce you gently to ASL's world, with much more coherence in the rules than the old SL system.

asevenson

Greenhorn
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Introduction

Hello,

I'm not exactly new to the forum as I've been signed up for quite awhile - but I'm finally getting into ASL so thought I'd introduce myself. :shy:

My name is Allen and I live and work south of Seattle WA in the city of Kent. I'm in my Mid/Late 30's, married w/ 2 kids and have been gaming on and off (mostly off) for about 20 years.

I've been lucky to have a regular FTF opponent the last two years and after hearing that I played SL, introduced me to ASL via the ASLSK#1. I now have both Starter Kits [#3 on pre-order] and own a brand new Rulebook and Beyond Valor (latest edition).

I just recently attended my first ASL on Day at the Metro Seattle Gamers club in Seattle, in the hopes of meeting some of Puget Sound ASL group members. I didn't get there until mid-afternoon and only saw one game in progress - but it's a start. I plan on attending the next scheduled on day, as well as the upcoming "Bulge-fest" if possible.

Looking forward to lots more ASL - see you all on the boards,

Allen

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Allen, pay no attention to the Canadian Dude--he wasn't born when you started gaming :laugh: New ASL blood is good no matter what the age!

I believe I can vouch for Allen's identity, too.

asevenson

Greenhorn
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not sure what 'desisivly' means - but, I can assure you I'm not this Holst which you speak of. Thanks for the kind welcome though.

Alan: You're from my neck of the woods? Did I run into you at MSG this last weekend? I'm terrible with names and can't remember who I met.

SlyFrog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello, I am from the Twin Cities, Minnesota area. I have always wanted to play ASL, but was a bit put off by the prices (combined with knowing that I'm an obsessive wierdo who would not be able to simply own 2-3 modules).

I recently found a very kind person who was willing to part with their collection, short only two modules (which I have since purchased), for a reasonable price. I'm very happy to start playing, have been diligently reading my rulebook, and think that we're close to giving the first scenario a go.

I'm not really a social gamer - probably the last time I played with someone outside my two person gaming group was about 14-15 years ago. Fortunately, my two person gaming group consists of me and my wife, so I rarely have to worry about synching up schedules to find an opponent. :) Yes, my wife plays complex strategy games with me; settle down, and don't make me bring out the water cannon. :)

I've already asked for some advice on the best way to get started, and have been quietly reading some of your advice and threads for some time now. Thanks for the help you've all given so far, and I look forward to joining your ranks.

P.S. I have no idea who the hell Holst is, but I'm not Holst. :)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome to both of you, asevenson and SlyFrog!
I hope you'll find this place usefull and pleasant.

I flushed out the "Holst" reference post : nothing to do here.
You have nothing to do with that very specific debate, btw.

Balinor

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Introduction

Hello, my name is Bart Pisarik and I live in Marion, Iowa. I have been playing all kinds of games since the mid-70's and finally decided to give ASL a go. Just got a copy of the 1st edition rules and counters for the Germans, Russians, Americans, and British. Looking forward to learning the game.

Thanks.

Bart Pisarik

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Allen, pay no attention to the Canadian Dude--he wasn't born when you started gaming :laugh: New ASL blood is good no matter what the age!

I believe I can vouch for Allen's identity, too.
What?! You say pay no attention to CD but not me!? What am I, chop liver!
If you are going to hate on us, you better hate on both of us. That way our egos don't get too out of joint. :p :nuts:

Welcome new members! I's de forums resistant canadian wid a 'eavy accent eh! And like CD and I get into hose offs. Wes mean nothin' by what wes says and are only fools in de finest shakespearean tradation! :clown:

Hosers! :p

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hello, my name is Bart Pisarik and I live in Marion, Iowa. I have been playing all kinds of games since the mid-70's and finally decided to give ASL a go. Just got a copy of the 1st edition rules and counters for the Germans, Russians, Americans, and British. Looking forward to learning the game.

Thanks.

Bart Pisarik
Welcome here, Bart!
Try to find a FtF opponent, as it you will learn the game much quicker with the help of somebody used to it.
Otherwise, VASL (the free java emulator) allows you to play online or via email.
If you want a good learning tool, the Starter Kits are cool (and non expensive) ways to catch the "feel" of ASL : each kit is "self-contained", with maps, counters, scenarios and simplified rules.
Note that, besides the counters of the different nationalities, it will be usefull to have the chapter H related to them - as they contain a lot of data about how to use Guns and Vehicles.

Don't refrain from asking questions on the Rules and Errata subforum (but try a "forum search" before, as many questions already have been adressed) and you can find game partners in the Opponents Wanted one.

Have a nice time on this forum.

Robin

Bryan G

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello all, my name is Bryan. I hail from Sherwood Arkansas. I've been playing one form of tabletop or another since I was about 11 or 12 (I'm 27 now by the way). Anyways, a friend and I have been "messing" around with ASL for a little less than a year now, and been enjoying the game tremendously. I say messing around because where as we put all of our best efforts into understanding the rules, I'm most certain we're screwing something up. :nuts:
I started the way most new players seem to; through the starter kits. The starter kits were very helpful in getting that base knowledge needed to digest the "big red book" without losing my sanity. :crosseye:
Desite this it would be exremely helpful if I could find an experienced ASLer, or perhaps even a group (I'm not holding my breath on that one) in my area. As far as I can tell, myself and friend are the only two people the Little Rock area that play ASL. It's rather frustrating. :mad:
Anyways, this is me.
Later

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello all, my name is Bryan. I hail from Sherwood Arkansas. I've been playing one form of tabletop or another since I was about 11 or 12 (I'm 27 now by the way). Anyways, a friend and I have been "messing" around with ASL for a little less than a year now, and been enjoying the game tremendously. I say messing around because where as we put all of our best efforts into understanding the rules, I'm most certain we're screwing something up. :nuts:
I started the way most new players seem to; through the starter kits. The starter kits were very helpful in getting that base knowledge needed to digest the "big red book" without losing my sanity. :crosseye:
Desite this it would be exremely helpful if I could find an experienced ASLer, or perhaps even a group (I'm not holding my breath on that one) in my area. As far as I can tell, myself and friend are the only two people the Little Rock area that play ASL. It's rather frustrating. :mad:
Anyways, this is me.
Later
I know that "lack of other aslers frustation". For the longest time I thought myself, my main openant, my buddy that I was teaching, and other dude were the only other aslers in my city. Then this year I found out that there is a club! argh! :angry:

What a bunch of hosers they were. :nuts: :clown:

Cav Lieutenant

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My name is Craig, located in South Charleston, WV. I played Squad Leader back in junior high and high school (early 80s) and have been wanting to try ASL for many years. I finally ordered the ASL rulebook and core modules and I can't wait to try the game out.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Craig:

Glad to hear there is a player in my area. :coolban:

My playing over the last five years has been limited to VASL and the occaisional tournament. I'd like to meet and play a game sometime.

Welcome to ASL. You won't be disappointed.

EDIT: Just saw my new rank. I'm going commando on this forum!

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Damn, even Dalton's got a partner now; I wish someone would move to Southern Oregon... :angry:

Welcome, Craig!! :ciao:

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmmm, a newbie in my neighborhood, wonder if he's ever heard of ROAR?? :devious:

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The funny thing about it is that I told my wife there was a new player nearby and she said, "you really mean there are more of you?"

I don't know what she thought I was doing at tournaments...

Speaking of which, my new best friend pointed me out to some links I didn't know about, a gaming convention in Charleston, WV and a gamer club here.

YEE HAW!

Last edited: