New members introduce yourself here

Banjo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

Another smc who has decided to lose his concealment counter and start posting. I bought Sl back about 1979 and at one point got out of it and gave away my SL gear. When I found out about ASL, I imediately bout the RB and BV, and all the modules since along with RB and PB. Unfortunatly, my ftf partner has all but quit playing. My playing now is limited to SASL. I discovered VASL soon after I bought my first computer, but shortly after discovered SPWAW, and that was the end of that, although VASL saves my SASL games from the cat. I did manage to observe a turn or two of a live VASL game, and know it's possibilities. AM looking forward to getting AOO within the next few days. Hopefully even getting into VASL with another opponent. This forum has been a great source of info and ideas.
I live just outside of Atlantic City, for those who live nearby and are looking for an opponent.

Regards, Dave

ChrisBuehler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dave,

There are several posters from NJ so I would think you should be able to find some FtF action. There's also several tournaments around your area (PA, NJ, NY, MD).

Chris

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ok, I'll step up...

I'm Dave, from Hertfordshire, in the UK. Back in the fold after a 30 or so games around 6 years ago. My first game was "Cold Crocodiles" [still to this day one of the best scenarios I've played] at a house of a guy I met through the old mailing list, and of course was thoroughly beaten (if you've never played CC you're missing out!)

Then I hooked up with Burnie Fox, whilst he was in the UK. One of the nicest guys around. He is also one of the best players around, so unsurprisingly I was beaten in pretty much every game we played.

He went back to the US, and I then met up with a Laurent, from France, who I'd met whilst I was out there for a year and when he moved to London, where we played 4 or 5 times but then he moved back to France. Again, a really nice guy and a great player.

Managed a couple of tournaments, back in '99 (Bournemouth and Blackpool).

Had a couple of games against another nice guy, Rupert, but we only managed a couple of scenarios before real life got in the way. 3 children and 5 years later I'm getting the itch to play again. So far this has manifested itself in clipping the entire russian army (I have everything official, including AoO and the SKs).

So, if there are any Herts based/local players out there, give me a shout. With my youngest being 6 weeks old, now's not the best time to sit down for a 6 hour session, but I'd love to get going perhaps with a run through of the SK scenarios over VASL with a view to some live sessions later.

All the best,

Dave

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here, Dave !
If you are looking for a French speaking Laurent (would it be Laurent Closier?) you could find him on the French speaking ASL forum here : Forum FFL.

Jim McLeod

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
daveramsey said:
Ok, I'll step up...

I'm Dave, from Hertfordshire, in the UK. Dave
Dave, where in Hertfordshire are you from?

I have family in Tring.

=Jim=

tenebre

Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Greetings :)

Currently living the St. Louis Missouri area.

Just got into ASL. Most of my gaming experience has been from RPGs and Tabletop Miniature games. Played several chit based war games back in the 80s but as friends lost interest I gave it up.

Now with VASL I can actually get to play again!

Tompy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jim,

You're in luck. The St. Louis ASL crowd is an awesome group.

I'm sure at least one of them is computer literate enough to log onto this forum. hehe

Visit this link...

http://jaburrissite.com/ASLtournament.html

and meet your new best buddies.

Later,
Jeff

Zandari

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NEW NEW NEW!

Hey everybody. I have just recently joined the forums, and am looking for some of that welcome that everyone seems to be getting.

Seriously though, a friend of mine and I have recently made the jump from eurogames and traingames to ASL. We made the decision based on the introduction of the Starter Kit, which we purchased and have since played through. I took the initiative to purchase ASLRB 2ed, and have spent umpteen hours poring over that particular tome. We just received SK2 last weekend, and will be diving into S9 (hills!) tonight. I also pre-ordered SK3, figuring that we might have guns figured out by the time vehicles appear.

Anyway, I am in Birmingham, Alabama, and you may see me popping into VASL games every so often to do a bit of spectating. Say hello!

Swing

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Enjoy!

Zandari said:
and am looking for some of that welcome that everyone seems to be getting
Hi Zachary,

Let me be the first, then. Welcome! :)

ASL is one of the most rewarding gaming experiences that I've the pleasure of enjoying. So, if you want to hear some advice from someone who was/is/will be learning the game, take the ASLRB slowly. There are a lot of infantry only scenarios, and you can proceed from there to light mortars, then to Ordnance, OBA and Vehicles. A lot of challenges await you, and a lot of time spent learning and studing the game.

And never yield!

Enjoy,

miguel.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome, tenebre and Zandari!

this is the place to find others who are similarly afflicted with ASLitis. :nuts:

VASL can be a great way to get introduced if you've no FtF opponents.

Canadian Dude

Malicious Maniac
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey folks,

well I'm new to all of this as my friend only should me ASL a couple of months ago. I play warhammer 40k right now but I'm probaly going to switch over to ASL once I get a hair cut and get a real job.

OH, and I'm Canadian eh

- The Canadian Dude (eh)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here, Canadian Dude.:redapple:
I hope you'll have a nice time on this forum.:cool:

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey

Just want to say "hey", and look forward to some fun ASL (work and family permitting)

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome Augie!

Oh, and Canadian Dude: you can play ASL with long hair and a job will only cut back on your playing time. :D

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But not having a job will cut back on your ability to buy stuff. You will be reduced to going from table to table at ASL tournaments, saying, in a Dickensian British accent, "God save y', guvner, could you spare an Italian half squad?"

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey

I'm just introducing myself. I have been playing asl for a couple of years now. I've got a pretty good grasp of it however that may be because I have only played against one other person :nuts:

Canadian Dude

Malicious Maniac
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thats a lie man, you've played with TWO other people man. Jesus, get it straight.

All hail Canada and it slow take over of the forums.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Its only one man

Well Canadian Dude I only SERIOULY play one person. I am teaching another. You (just to tell everyone else on the forums). To me teaching doesn't quite count has playing espically when it is like "ok now it is movement phase. Who do you want to move? How about that squad on the right? How about you move him to that stone building there?

Shh Canadian dude we can't let the others on to what we are doing.