New members introduce yourself here

Beardo1976

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Country
llUnited States
Pitman said:
Jason, if you make it to WO, be sure to stop by and say hi. You'll really enjoy WO.

Sounds good Mark. I'll most likely only be able to show up on Saturday, but I'm looking forward to it. Should I bring anything besides my SK? (and am I allowed to bring some guiness? :devious: )

Thanks!

Jason

bludengutz

Reaction score
Country
ll
UK newb

Hi all! Great site you've got here. Thought I would take a moment to introduce myself.

I'm 38, and just getting back into board wargaming, having been a mini's guy for some 2 decades now. Many years ago at secondary school (high school I guess to our colonial cousins :) )a friend introduced me to SL - what a game! Loved playing it for a few years, but then my SL friends all graduated to ASL, and I never did - they all had richer parents and therefore all the SL modules, whilst I had to scrape together to get 2nd hand copy of SL...yeah I know, hard life etc etc :) The size of the ASL binder put me off a tad as well. So I drifted away from the boards and stuck to my mini's.

But now I have ASLSK#1 - and what a joy it is! MMP have scored a blinder with this one! Halfway through the scenarios now, playing each one twice, with both sides ending up with a win and a loss. Probably because I play solo - don't know of any ASL players in my rural backwater, and am waiting for Mr Kinney to send me detailed instructions for the manual install of VASL (I can't get it to work right! Best I stick to gardening as a career nowadays!) Once that is up and running I hope to play live against other people, and even post some AARs on this site.

Next steps? SK#2, then SK#3, which should allow me to play some of the classic scenarios under SK rules - I have some unmounted boards waiting for that. Ops Mag is also winging its way to me with Scenarios 7 & 8. Then I think the full ASLRB, and then replay my way through the SKs etc to really understand the rules. Then on to Paratrooper (unless it goes OOP in which case its back to eBay!), Beyond Valour et al. Unless there is any mileage/point to playing the modules using SK rules?

I think I am getting a handle on the 'lite' rules ok, but here is my first dumb question;

MPh - unit moves into a postion where it could fall victim to DFF, so it lays smoke in its hex as it moves. Now then, does the DFF happen the instant it moves into a hex, or after they have finished all MF expenditure in that hex, ie laying smoke?

Oh my other dumb question - unless there is a hindrance in the way, do interdicting units get to claim the -1 FFMO DRM as suggested by the SK rules?

Thats about it for now. I'm sure I shall make use of this site often (the best player aid resource I've found on the net bar none!) so I shall thank you all for your patience in advance!

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome, Bludengutz!

I might suggest you post your rules query in the rules sub-section of this forum; the SK is just different enough that I hesitate to answer your questions (I'm only familiar with full-blown ASL)

bludengutz

Reaction score
Country
ll
Sorry - questions reposted elsewhere!

Thanks Alan - have posted the questions to the appropriate thread!

beta.lyrae

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aslsk #1

Hello Everyone,

I've always been facinated by war games but never had the chance to play one, so I bought ASLSK#1 today. I've read through the rules once and am about to go read them for the second time. I doubt I'll be able to convince the wife or my friends to give it a go so I might not actually ever play :rolleyes: I have CM:BB (first heard of ASL from those forums), so I have at least some experince. Anyway, hopefully I get the courage up to maybe play the S1 on VASL after I fully grasp the rules. I've had a lot of fun going through these forums, so thanks for all the SK posts.

I'm from the Valley Forge area of Pennsylvania.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
beta.lyrae said:
I might not actually ever play :rolleyes:
If you don't find face to face opponents, try VASL : it is a good way to play with real opponents, and many people even learned to play that way - using a vocal device like Skype or Teamspeak makes it quite near to a F-t-F experience.

Welcome on the forum !

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
and of course you can just watch others play on VASL, too, as a preliminary to playing a game yourself.

beta.lyrae

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Watching one now actually. ASLSK1 - S2. peatmanb vs. Michael_H. They must be using skpe though, because I'm having trouble following which units are firing at who, which modifiers are in affects, etc (and there isn't much text chat). I'm going through each phase with my rule book in hand. It's very cool to see it played out. I wonder if paying people off to play wargames with works. I've got a poor friend who could probably use a few bucks ;)

Hugh Downing

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello All I am new to the forms, but I have been playing ASL for many a year. I currently playtest and design for Shwerpunkt in Tampa, FL. But I qualify for free agency in 2006, so get those offers ready…

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
Hugh Downing said:
Hello All I am new to the forms, but I have been playing ASL for many a year. I currently playtest and design for Shwerpunkt in Tampa, FL. But I qualify for free agency in 2006, so get those offers ready…
And I can still beat you with an extra die thrown each time :cheeky: . Glad to see you joined up Hugh. When will we see your next masterpiece

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Yes, Welcome here !
And as you are a SP playtester and designer : thanks for your contribution to the hobby.:thumup::thanks:

Last edited:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hugh Downing said:
Hmmm... That must be why Evan has asked me to do a scenario for each SP issue!

BuckeyeMiniMe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1st Post!

Hello everyone!

My name is John and I live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I own many old AH games but haven't blew the dust off of them in some time. Recently, I became aware of ASLSK#1 and jumped at the chance to get in on the fun. I used to subscribe to The General magazine back in the late '80's/early '90's and I remember that half of the articles would focus on ASL. It became obvious to me that ASL was THE game but I felt like I was hopelessly "out of the loop". Once I learned about ASLSK#1, I immediately ordered a copy and I have been reading the rules. I am very happy to know that this website exists since I'm sure that I'll need all the support that I can get! I intend on playing the first scenario solo to get a feel for it, but without a mentor it's good to know that all of you are here. I have also visited VASL, but haven't fully explored it yet. If anyone knows of a South Florida group that welcomes newbies :halo: , I would appreciate any info you could provide.

Hope to talk at you all soon.

John Rice

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome aboard, John!

There are several recent posts in the 'Opponents Wanted' section from ASLers in Florida. (Don't know if any are close enough to you.)

Get hooked up with VASL, too, and distance isn't a problem. Heck, we could play.

ChrisBuehler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BuckeyeMiniMe said:
Hello everyone!

My name is John and I live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I own many old AH games but haven't blew the dust off of them in some time. Recently, I became aware of ASLSK#1 and jumped at the chance to get in on the fun. I used to subscribe to The General magazine back in the late '80's/early '90's and I remember that half of the articles would focus on ASL. It became obvious to me that ASL was THE game but I felt like I was hopelessly "out of the loop". Once I learned about ASLSK#1, I immediately ordered a copy and I have been reading the rules. I am very happy to know that this website exists since I'm sure that I'll need all the support that I can get! I intend on playing the first scenario solo to get a feel for it, but without a mentor it's good to know that all of you are here. I have also visited VASL, but haven't fully explored it yet. If anyone knows of a South Florida group that welcomes newbies :halo: , I would appreciate any info you could provide.

Hope to talk at you all soon.

John Rice
John,

You should contact Evan Sherry:

http://hometown.aol.com/evansherry/myhomepage/business.html?f=fs

Who publishes Schwerpunkt and is very involved with the ASL folks in Tampa. I have to believe he knows some ASL players in south Florida.

Chris

DM Kevin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL born-again!

Howdy all:

The past couple of weeks, I've been kicking myself in the backside for having missed all this. I played SL way back when, then bought the ASL Rules & BV when they came out, but never got the chance to explore ASL. Something recently made me read the rules & open the box in earnest. Don't know what it was, but I am hooked big-time (did I say "big-time;" I mean BIG-TIME). I've been busy hunting down old OOP modules, getting the new ones & 2nd ed. rules, going through the Training Manual & generally having a great time learning.

I've played through all of the scenarios in ASLSK#1, and can actually recognize most of the ASL acronyms now at first-glance (a sure sign of progress, so I'm told).

Can't wait to get to ASLSK#2, then onto vehicles!

Then, it's on to VASL. I'll do some research there before jumping in.

BTW, I heard that there is another ASLSK (#3) pending, which will deal with vehicles. Any truth to that?

Kevin

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
DM Kevin said:
Howdy all:

The past couple of weeks, I've been kicking myself in the backside for having missed all this. I played SL way back when, then bought the ASL Rules & BV when they came out, but never got the chance to explore ASL. Something recently made me read the rules & open the box in earnest. Don't know what it was, but I am hooked big-time (did I say "big-time;" I mean BIG-TIME). I've been busy hunting down old OOP modules, getting the new ones & 2nd ed. rules, going through the Training Manual & generally having a great time learning.

I've played through all of the scenarios in ASLSK#1, and can actually recognize most of the ASL acronyms now at first-glance (a sure sign of progress, so I'm told).

BTW, I heard that there is another ASLSK (#3) pending, which will deal with vehicles. Any truth to that?

Kevin
Hi Kevin;

Welcome to the forums.

Not sure if we have met or not (I'm getting worse with names), but the SoCal ASL Club has lots of players close to Burbank...check us out at www.socalasl.com to see a listing of players in your area, or you can drop me a PM here. We have "Regional Directors" that are responsible for getting new club members matched up with players in their area.

Also, our annual "tournament", West Coast Melee, will be taking place in Irvine in Orange County next month...Feb 23-26 (main festivities kick off on Friday 02-24)...come by and have some fun.

Semper Fi!
Scott

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
DM Kevin said:
Howdy all:

Kevin
welcome-

Starter Kit #3 was being playtested at Winter Offensive. Should be available sometime this year.

Grunt101st

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NorCal FNG

Bought my first SL game in 1977. Played it till the color on most of my 4-6-7's was gone. Obtained COI and COD. Played these alot to. Then we moved and I had no one to FtF with. So, I kind of lost interest.

Flash forward to 1986. I am in the Army in Germany. My roomdog, (Dave Crumby KIA Iraq 91) and I happen across a copy of ASL/ BV at the PX. Hooaa! We dug in. Eventually we had about 15 guys playing, (including the CO). Lots O-fun while it lasted. But as I said Dave bought the farm in DS. So I kind of didn't want to play anymore, plus I'd PCSed to the 101st.

Anyway, I found my old copy of Squad Leader last year. Then I picked up SK1 and I'm all in again. :salute: